Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
dizziness (Read 5577 times)
md5299
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

dizziness
Dec 27th, 2006, 2:35pm

hi there,can anyone help?3 months ago i had a bad attack of virtigo,in bed for a week the dizziness is now gone but i am left with strange vission disturbances mainly when i am out and also at night or when my eyes are shut,like i am slightly crosseyed or slightly tipsy also if i sneeze,cough,blow my nose or upon bowel movements i feel a sort of dizziness for a couple of seconds,ty.mike

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: dizziness
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2006, 5:34am

Okay Mike, it's important to remember that an internet forum should never be relied up for diagnostic value. I will, however, tell you that several things are possible here and all of them should be determined under evaluation by your primary care physician.  

One possibility is Superior Canal Dehiscence syndrome. Patients with SCD syndrome often present with dizziness that is worsened with pressure changes in the middle ear (due to lifting or straining), or with loud noises. Unlike benign positional vertigo, which presents with rotatory vertigo in the horizontal plane, patients with SCD will describe a sensation of oscillopsia, or eyes "jumping up and down," which is senses as vertigo in the "vertical plane." The horizon will move up and down during the episode. However, there is a great deal of variability with how SCD patients present to their otolaryngologist or otologist.

Post Traumatic Vertigo is a second possibility and presents with similar symptoms following an insult of either viral, bacterial, neurological or mechanical origin, the latter two causes being the most common.

Remember that these are conditions that often have an insidious rather than acute onset and without knowing your history, it's difficult to assess. Regardless, your condition requires direct evaluation by your primary care doctor.  

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
md5299
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2006, 10:30am

ok rlr,thank you for your reply,i had non b positional vertigo in 1991 but this is different,i also get skipped heart beats which i also feel dizzy for a split second(only the last 2 months) with but i have had my heart scanned and a treadmill test and all was ok.i think i am improving very slowly,i am seeing ent doctor on the 5th what should i ask him,do you think i would be alright to fly on the 19th of feb?my eyes seem to be ok indoors regardless of any movement and i am in the process of buying another boat and i am a bit anxious whether i am going to be alright,once again thank you for your time,its nice to know some people go out of their way for others.mike

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2006, 4:30am

I don't see an issue with commercial flight but again, advice about flying is more directly associated with an evaluation by your local physician and the outcome of any diagnostic tests.

The fact that your problem appears to be self-resolving in your estimation is somewhat indicative that it is transient in nature, but does not indicate resolution is imperative. It's important to have the symptoms formally evalauted.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print