Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yet another strange episode - any ideas RLR ? (Read 7825 times)
helsbels
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Berkshire England
Yet another strange episode - any ideas RLR ?
Dec 31st, 2006, 4:07am

Hi - me again!

Just experienced another strange episode - sitting in my daughters room when heart felt like normal skipped beat but then instead of the big heavy beat - it was like nothing...almost like my heart had stopped - I felt for my pulse at my neck (as I always find it easier there) but couldn't feel anything, then it felt like a fast fluttering feeling - by the time I had made it downstairs to my husband it had gone back to normal!  My fear is that can your heart just stop like that?  I felt a little bit woozy but obviously managed to walk across the landing and down the stairs - but I just don't know what happened - any ideas?  

I seem to be getting more and more of these episodes - but they don't always seem the same but they are very scary.  I will go back to the cardiologist once I can call him for an appointment (not a good time at New Year!).  

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
Helen

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Yet another strange episode - any ideas RLR ?
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2006, 9:43am

Many patients have described this scenario to me and I always use my clock example to explain the insignificance of the events and that it is not an indication that something is wrong.

If you've ever had occasion to glance up at the clock or at your watch only to find that the second hand appears to have stopped momentarily, it's because of two factors; one, the exact moment your eyes fixate on the watch hand depends upon the precise cycle that the watch is experiencing with respect to moving the second hand. If it happens to be when the second hand just moved to the next second, it will seem to take several long seconds for it to move again.

Secondly, the brain, regardless of how fast it can process information, takes time to process sensory data nevertheless. In matters dealing with small increments of time, it can be made to feel as though an eternity passes before events transition. This is why people are never quite accurate about how long events take that are particularly distressing.

The same example holds true for your heart in a way. If palpitations are present and occuring to various frequency, the sensation that you feel has very much to do with the exact time that the palpitation imposes itself upon the normal sinus rhythm of the heart. Much like the clock example, the heart has a predisposed cycle that occurs with great regularity, but unlike a clock, experiences two distinct cycles instead. One cycle is systole, or the contraction of the ventricles, and the second is diastole or relaxation of the ventricles. Many other things happen during these cycles, but this is basically what the heart does during each cycle of what you know to be a heartbeat.

So if the heart has just entered diastole, or refractory period, and a palpitation is imposed upon the cycle, it can seem an eternity before you sense the start of the next cycle. This mild disruption can cause subtle shifts in blood pressure that can be sensed as dizziness or light-headed sensation, but basically the body is capable of making rapid changes to bring systems back to normal again. It is neither dangerous nor harmful, although admittedly unnerving to anyone experiencing the event.

One's state of anxiety and focus upon such matters can, at times, have a rather dramatic compounding effect because fear is established by the notion that the heart is "stopping" and may not start again, which is in fact, entirely misguided. It is merely the sensation that you have that gives you such a perception. What you need to realize, based upon clear medical facts, is that a true lack of perfusion of blood to the brain via heart block or similar cardiovascular event causes syncope or more simply, "fainting." In other words, people are unable to suddenly realize that their heart has stopped and be able to run downstairs, or anywhere else for that matter, and obtain assistance prior to losing conciousness. That's why people who truly experience such events are found right where the event occured. You also need to know that a true cardiovascular event like asystole, or a non-beating heart, causes considerable pain because of ischemia. While there is such a thing as "silent ischemia" it is almost always associated with events that strike without warning and which are usually unrecoverable because of the extent of damage involved without the aid of warning signs like ischemic pain that would encourage a doctor's visit.

In your case, however, we are looking at a series of events where your perception of what is occuring is a bit misleading. Your heart is fine. Try not to let the events cause panic where it is not necessary. They can make you feel light-headed on occasion and it's always warranted to try and remain still or even sit down if you think it necessary, rather than try to run a flight of stairs in the hopes of gaining help for what you believe is the predecessor to a cardiovascular event. Otherwise, it may be more likely that you suffer an orthopedic event like a fractured hip or even worse when you find yourself tumbling down the stairs.

If indeed you continue to fixate upon being too far from help during these times, it may benefit you to look into an "alert" bracelet or neckless that has a panic button to summon help if needed. Depending upon your age and comfort zone, this would be rather overkill in my opinion but nevertheless emotionally helpful if you think you need such a device. It's additionally important to realize that following these events, your rather immediate recovery should be a hardline clue that it's associated with mere palpitations and anxiety rather than a true cardiovascular event, which alternatively would not dissipate near as quickly and without further consequence.

You'll be fine. Have a great New Year celebration and enjoy life. You have a long way yet to go.

Best regards and Good Health  

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
helsbels
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Berkshire England
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2006, 10:03am

Thanks so much RLR for your detailed reply - infact I asked my husband to read it as well so that next time it happens he can understand what is going on and remind me again.

It is much appreciated that you take time out to reply to those of us less knowledgable of such matters.

Wishing you and yours a happy and peaceful new year

Helen

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2007, 4:11am

Hi Helen

I've experienced what you described and it is horrible, but I have noticed that it you tense the muscles in your neck that you do not alway pick up your heart beat even though you can feel it in your chest.  Or I also find that I have often panicked as I have felt a twitch in my neck rather that my pulse, I also get this in my arm too.

What I am trying to say is your heart was probably fine like RLR said but in your moment of panick you've tensed up and then paniced even more because you haven't felt your pulse which then makes your heart pound harder and faster and this sometimes feels like a flutter but sometimes it's just where your heart is beating so fast.  I'm only talking from my experiences that I have found that alot of feelings can actually be deceptive and are not what you are thinking whats going on at all.

I've been having these missed beats and weird sensations for 5 years now only noticed what they were approx 3 years ago, always thought it was just wind in my chest.

It is really frightening, but next time think that you've been there before and your still here and fine, and always try to remember what RLR said.  I always got my hubby to read RLRs reply's so he could calm me in a moment of panic.

We make these things so mush worse sometimes by our thoughts and actually if we'd sat it out calmly and carried on with what we were doing the whole thing would be done with alot sooner.  (I know easier said than done )

Anyway have a fantastic new year  Cheesy

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
helsbels
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Berkshire England
Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2007, 4:22am

Thanks Kath for taking the time to post - it is always invaluable to hear about other peoples similar experiences and how they cope.

Wishing you a very happy new year and heres to accepting and coping with these funky beats (or if we're really lucky getting rid of them for good!!!)

Take care
Helen x

IP Logged
cazza

I Love YaBB 2!

england
Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2007, 8:47am

Hi Helen
Just to say i know exactly how you feel i get these ones that stop then just flutter like mad and it feels like it doesnt come back to a normal rythum for ages Sad
They ruin my day when they come i just want to hide away and worry which i know is the worst thing to do but you just feel the worst!   Any way were in the same boat  
Take care and happy new year    carol Wink

IP Logged
helsbels
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Berkshire England
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2007, 1:06pm

Thanks Carol for your post - it is nice to know that we're not alone!  It is just sometimes hard not to let them take over your life - but we can't let 'em beat us!!   Normally when I have a bad episode like that I will try not to go out for the rest of the day and cancel plans but that day I still made myself go shopping with a friend so I was pleased about that.

Anyway hope you have had a good start to the year!

Helen x

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print