Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Still not feeling well, anyone have this?  RLR? (Read 5600 times)
damon
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Still not feeling well, anyone have this?  RLR?
Jan 9th, 2007, 8:06am

I am a 39yr male, had a Vasel Vagel / Synascope episode back in June.  Then better until a month ago (December) when the indigestion, nausea lightheaded sysptoms came back bad.  Went to the doctor and my blood pressure was 140/90.  We thought both episodes were from caffine or diet soda.  So I stopped again, have not had any since the 1st of December.  

The doctor put me back on protonix for the indigestion and Toprol for the blood pressure.  I never took the toprol, as my BP started going down, and stopped the protonix now for two weeks, thinking my rise in blood pressure could have been from that.

Now for the last week, my indigestion is in check, but I am still not right.  Going back to the doctor today, something is wrong.  Here are my current symptoms:

- heart beating harder than normal - I can feel it most of the time

- Sweating feet and hands

- veins in hands and feet restricted

- light feeling in arms and legs (cold too)

- no appatite

- left rear shoulder blade is tight (this has been for 6mo)

6'3 190lbs, look healthy, but have not exersised lately and when I did it was 1-2 per week.  When my veins open up and I can see them, I start to feel better, its like my blood is in my chest or something.  

When I feel better, the veins are larger in hands and feet and the sweating goes away.  

I had these symptoms now for 3 days and I really don't feel like doing anything.  Any suggestions?  Could it be foods, liver, vagel nerve?

Help!

Thanks - Damon

« Last Edit: Jan 09th, 2007, 9:19am by damon »  
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Still not feeling well, anyone have this?  RLR
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2007, 2:01pm

I'm not certain what your basis for measurement of the dilation of vessels in your hands or feet would be, but this is more often a misperception than not for many patients with similar complaints. Most of what patients discern as a change to the vessels is, more accurately, a change in water retention which collects at the extremities and makes vessels harder to see and therefore, appear less noticable or "smaller."

Feeling your heart beat is a common complaint of many patients with anxiety disorder and is more commonly referred to as "pounding heart." It is not a symptom of disease, but rather a response by the nervous system to anxiety. This would also explain the rise in blood pressure, since the stressors associated with anxiety cause vasoconstriction, a syndrome known as "stress hypertension." This also causes blood circulation to become more focused at the core rather than extremeties and is associated with the "fight or flight" mechanism inherent in all animals and humans alike. Sweating, again, is also associated with changes to the status of the nervous system.  

Protonix does not affect blood pressure.  Foods do not generally cause this type of response, although many patients incorrectly presume them to be a causal factor due to a temporal relationship ( in other words, eating something and feeling the associated symptoms soon afterwards and believing them to be directly related).

I'm uncertain why you would anticipate liver problems to be associated here. Vagal tone certainly plays a role relative to the status of the nervous system, but does not function alone to cause your symptoms. During stress, the adrenal glands release excess epinephrine, which can increase sweating, cause tremulousness in the hands, increase BP, heart rate, etc. and alternating tension and lethargy, muscle spasms or musculoskeletal pain.

I would undergo the normal tests for a fellow your age, PSA value and simple screen for colon cancer, general labs, chest x-ray. If these all look to be normal, then possibly like your physician, I would chalk it up to anxiety disorder. These symptoms can be quite dramatic in some cases and many patients become convinced that it represents serious illness going unchecked or undiagnosed.

Also, if your doctor checks your BP and it remains elevated, then I recommend that you continue the medication.

Best regards and Good Health          

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print