Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is this it for life? (Read 10368 times)
cazza

I Love YaBB 2!

england
Is this it for life?
Jan 13th, 2007, 4:55am

While i am really pleased my missed beats are not sinister  does this mean i have to live with them for the rest of my life?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Is this it for life?
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2007, 3:04pm

Well, if you are asking if your heart will keep beating the rest of your life, then I'm pleased to announce that you are correct.  Cheesy

Benign palpitations are relative to the status of the nervous system and influences such as stress, anxiety, depression, hormones, etc. etc. etc.

If it's of any comfort, I do not know of patients who have experienced life-long benign palpitations but rather episodic occurances. The main factor in overcoming their influence on your emotional health is to acheive ever-greater understanding and knowledge about their origins and impact on your life. Irrespective of how long you may experience them, they are incapable of doing damage of any type whatsoever to your physiology.

I will also readily admit here that patients nevertheless find them debilitating in many cases from an emotional standpoint. Therein lies the key, however, to overcoming their influence because if you think about it, the fact that they are otherwise truly harmless makes their impact on "how" you feel all the more important.

Stick around. On the new forum, we're going to talk about ways to overcome benign palpitations, their origin, what it tells you about yourself, and what the future holds. It'll be fun, informative, and will set you free.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
cazza

I Love YaBB 2!

england
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2007, 3:11am

PLease hurry cant wait Wink

IP Logged
shirl61
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Virginia
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2007, 6:25am

I am going madd.  These irregular heartbeats have ruined 2 years of my life!  Please hurry and tell us how to stop these things!  I feel like my life is over because of these tormentors.

I don't know how much more I can take.  I have NO PEACE.  Can you imagine living with no peace of mind?  Its the worst.  If I had  "real" problem, then I would have something concrete to worry about.  But these symptoms are driving me insane!  Hurry, Hurry Hurry.  Give us something to ease our minds.  Help us RLR.

IP Logged
Nicolette
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2007, 8:02am

Yes! Please, Please, Please hurry RLR, I want to be set free! So far, you have been a tremendous help!!! Smiley

IP Logged
Mich
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2007, 5:24am

I am really looking forward to this new forum!!!!!! Smiley

IP Logged
renjenlo
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

California
Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2007, 6:11pm

hi,  im so glad for this forum....I have beep having palps and skipped beats for about 2 years now.  I think the longest ive gone without them is about 6 or 7 months.  Now its like ill have em for a week or two then they'll go away for a week or two..sometimes just days they'll be gone and come back for a few days.   I just never know.  Anyway, I have a question for you RLR.  In the begining it was just palps and mostly skipped beats, now its like I get this really uptight feeling from my chest up, its really weird and hard to explain.  Also, you know that butterfly in your stomach feeling you get when your excited about something?  well, I get that everytime i get a skipped beat.  after awhile my stomach gets upset and burns.  

I've really learned to live with this.  I've been to the doctors and had all the tests.  everythings always normal.  so I'm not too worried about it.  It's just so darn irritating and unnerving.  Embarrassed
thanks for listening,
renjenlo  Smiley

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2007, 7:13pm

It's not surprising that your tests turn up negative. The tightness in your chest is associated with something known as Da Costa's syndrome, named after the Civil War officer who discovered it and is sometimes associated with pain as well. It's entirely harmless and is a consequence of stress and anxiety. Da Costa noticed that a great number of his foot soldiers were in the infirmary with complaints of chest pain and discomfort much like that of a heart attack. He reasoned it to be impossible that all of his soldiers could be suffering such an event and it was later discovered that the syndrome was the by-product of stress and anxiety of war. It doesn't necessarily take conditions of war to incite the syndrome and it's often observed in persons with anxiety disorders.

The GI symptoms are responsible for excitation of the Vagus nerve, which is over-sensitive due to stress or anxiety, and the consequence is benign palpitations. Gaining control of the GI symptoms will bring about a great reduction in the frequency of palpitations. Treatment with a PPI such as over-the-counter Prilosec, together with care toward your diet, sleep and exercise, all work to balance things so you can get along without medication at some point. The stomach and GI tract can become inflamed to the extent that symptoms are chronic and a good number of people with anxiety disorder also suffer from IBS in one of the various forms.

Learning to live with it doesn't mean you can't do anything to improve your circumstances. You're heart is fine and your symptoms are associated with anxiety disorder, which is treatable.

Best regards and Good Health  

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
renjenlo
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

California
Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2007, 9:49pm

Thank you so much for your reply RLR.

I don't mean to bug but I have more questions, like is a palpatation different than a skipped beat, cause I have more skipped beats than palps.  Also,  the butterflies in the stomach feeling that i get everytime i have a skipped beat, is that also caused by the GI tract thing.... sorry to be a pest, but the more I understand about these things the more in control I feel of them.  Even when Im having them just knowing these things helps me.

renjenlo  Kiss

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print