Blood test results (Read 4968 times)
Kyanite
Forum Newbies

Every passing moment
is another chance.

NC
Blood test results
Jan 13th, 2007, 7:24am

After having all of my tests done I was told that the benign PVC's still exist & not to worry.  On my initial visit my Red Blood Cell count was .1 over the elevated side & my doctor felt it necessary to run another CBC (I had fasted for the initial test).  I also found out that my cholesterol levels are slightly elevated but no statin drugs for control.  Anyway, I received a letter from the 2nd. CBC test with an abnormal result checked and my doctor had written that my red cells were slightly elevated and also my platelets were low (I misread my doctors writing) but not dangerously so.  Of course I need to go in for yet another blood test next week "at my convenience."  I am scared at what could potentially be wrong.  I wish he would have called me instead of getting a letter that I opened on a Saturday morning.  It's funny how that a doctor has my records with PANIC DISORDER included yet he still sends a letter!?  He did say that it could be a vitamin defiecency but which vitamin?  I almost searched the internet but that would only add to my anxiety so I thought that maybe you can shed some light on what I can do and/or expect?  Should I worry that a bomb might drop?  I am so sorry to other you with this, I am just so worried now  :'(.  

I hope that everybody is having a great day.    

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2007, 2:36pm by Kyanite »  

SP
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Blood test results
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2007, 2:53pm

As for your RBC, I'm going to give it the "yawwwwwn" response. It's unremarkable in my opinion. RBCs that are slightly elevated are not an issue in my opinion unless repeated tests over several months indicate increases. Polycythemia is one condition that can occur, which is a myleoproliferative disease wherein red blood cells overpopulate and cause afflicted patients to have predisposition to clots, strokes, etc., but I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that you have no need to worry. You don't have it. Take a breath and relax.  

Secondly, when RBCs are slightly elevated it only follows that platelets will most always be elevated as well, which are the "sticky" sort of cells that bind to sites of injury to reduce bleeding. It's important to realize that depending upon which lab runs the tests, the norms can vary to the extent that you're normal by one indication and in trouble by another.

RBC is not a test performed in isolation as well and the relative indices for a CBC,  Mean Cell Volume/MCV, Mean Cell Hemoglobin/ MCH, Mean Cell Hemoglobin Concentration/MC, tell a whole lot more about what's happening.

Let's talk about the common things that can affect RBC count; smoking, changes in altitude, exercise, increased iron intake from multi-vitamin with iron, stress and the NUMBER 1 cause we see in a slightly elevated RBC . . . . mild dehydration. And take a guess when we most often see this manifestation? During winter months. Yes, that's right. The body actually loses more water content during to colder season without awareness, so it's important to stay hydrated. Yadda, yadda yadda. See? The mere fact that you have an elevated RBC doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

Increase your H20 intake, eat a normal and healthy diet and exercise. You can certainly run the labs again as your primary physician suggests, but my guess here is that it will amount to nothing.

You're fine. Go have lunch with the girls and tell funny jokes. Life awaits you.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kyanite
Forum Newbies

Every passing moment
is another chance.

NC
Re: Blood test results
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2007, 3:00pm

It must be something to have you as a friend in the physical.  I am so grateful that you are here and that you are willing to share with us.  You help people feel safe.  

Thank you from the bottom of my heart RLR

SP
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print