Send Topic Print
Quick Heart Rate Drop (Read 4926 times)
cyranda
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

New Brunswick, Canada
Quick Heart Rate Drop
Jan 13th, 2007, 1:48pm

Today I was on the treadmill at the gym and I normally work out with a heartrate of 115-120.  I'm very heart conscious and I keep my hands on the sensors to watch my heartrate.  My heartrate was up about 115 and then suddenly it dropped to 64 on the treadmill. I felt fine and I tried to manually take my pulse but because I was walking I couldn't.  I put my hands back on the sensors and my heartrate was 66, this entire time i was feeling fine.  I started to get nervous because I realized that it should be higher while exercising and it suddenly shot up to 133 and my hands got clammy and I felt nervous. I suffer from anxiety and worry about my heart even though tests have shown my heart fine.
My question is... would a sudden drop in heartrate like this cause any physical symptoms?  I know a sudden drop in BP can cause fainting. Was this most likely an equipment malfunction?  The girls at the counter said that it was probably equpment failure because a drop that fast would certainly cause some symptoms but I can't seem to find anywhere that online that indicates this... Could there be something wrong with me that I need checked out?
Please help

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Quick Heart Rate Drop
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2007, 3:28pm

Well, let's give credit where it's due. "The girls at the counter" are essentially correct, although I doubt they would bother to ponder the underlying cause that makes it so.

We have to know a little about the equipment we work with in order to make a determination about how much faith and reassurance we place in its ability to provide us with the intended data output. Realize that recreational equipment and associated measurement devices are at best, proximal. The mere placement of your hands upon the controls allows for galvanic skin response and changes in pressure sensitive pads to respond to physiological changes and report basic feedback about pulse, blood pressure, etc. So changes to the galvanic response by increased perspiration and changes to pressure sentitive pads based upon variations in our contact with such pads all work together in raising the potential for errors to occur.

Changes to readings from interference factors are quite common and I have many patients who share common stories about their hearts slowing, in some cases stopping, for several minutes. After I calmly clear my throat and share a confident smile, I remind them of the relative inaccuracy of such devices in providing stable readings.

Indeed, rapid changes in rate or blood pressure of the degree mentioned have consequences.

Eat, drink and be merry. Use the equipment's devices as a very loose guideline to help bring benefit to your exercise regiment.

Best regards and Good Health

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2007, 6:06am by RLR »  

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
cyranda
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Quick Heart Rate Drop
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2007, 5:37pm

RLR
Thank you for your kind and reassuring response.  Last week I was on the treadmill and noticed the girl beside me have her heartrate drop to 60 and wondered 'how can she exercise at that intensity and have that low of a heartrate' and then after a few minutes it climbed to over 100.  I recall thinking that if that happened to me I would totally freak out, and it did, and I did.  In retrospect and after reading your reassuring note I realized if there was something seriously wrong with my heart then the same thing is wrong with the girl on the treadmill beside me last week... and what are the odds of that?  I can't recall but possible it may have been the same treadmill that caused the error with me.
I'm recovering from heart health anxiety and it's taken years for me to feel comfortable getting my heartrate up and not think it's going to explode.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for a dose of common sense!
Cyra

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print