Confused!!! (Read 5413 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Confused!!!
Jan 14th, 2007, 1:24pm

Hi

I'm still having tummy problems I think IBS, Bloating feeling of bubbling and cramps.  Problem is since having the Gastroenteritus I've not been constipated but normal really, regulary every day.  I want to stop the discomfort as it makes me feel sick and I've lost my appetite even though I'm making myself eat.  I'm due to get my period in about 5 days to.  So I do not know what to take, Mebeverine makes you constipated but haven't so far, but do seem to aggrivate my palpitations.  I also had 2 bad boughts of bring acid up when I burped 2nd time it was so bad I couldn't swallow properly and took my breath away a bit.

My heart keeps racing and yesterday I went to town and my heart was about 120BPM just walking around, it's not normally this, then last night in bed it was about 90.  I have had this before but quite a while ago.  I'm also slightly in a state of anxiousness, (if thats a word) but can't fathem why? I'm trying my relaxation techniques but it feels like it's taking over I feel shaky 90% of the time but not visably only occasionally and very slightly.

I'm also still getting these odd twinges in my chest, my husband said my stomach was really gurgly and a little in my chest.  do I need to be concerned?  I'm anxious about going back to the doctor as I'll have to sit and try to explain why I do not want to take yet another anti-depressant they keep throwing at me.  For them to then experiment with something else for my tummy?

I can not get myself out of this depressive state, I feel it's getting a grip of me and I'm feeling really tired trying to overcome it.

I'm also getting a pain in my right hand side, I've had the pain in the ribs for a while now and doctor checked it a while ago, and couldn't find anything but said to go back if it gets worse. and it's there and lower.

I'm looking forward to starting my anxiety management classes on the 25th.  Last Thursday was just to meet the group there's meant to be 6 of us but there was just me and this other lady, the lady running it said she will try and get more people from the list, as it's more of a group therapy sessions.  Apparantly they do other courses and do massage and reflexology and things there.

I think if the twinges went I'd feel a bit more confident in my positive thoughts.

Thanks

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Confused!!!
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2007, 2:57pm

The "twinges" of chest discomfort are arising secondary to trapped intestional gas and in the case of some patients, can be extremely painful. They can also be due to a syndrome that I've described on the forum before, known as Da Costa Syndrome. In either case, it is certainly not an indication of an impending cardiac event of any kind.

One of the reasons that your condition continues to spiral out of control on occasion is the rapid changes you are making with regard to treatment and self-help measures to bring matters under control. Because of this rather fast-paced expectation of your medications and general treatment, you need to see swift and constant results. You have been through many medications. Again, I must return to my original opinion in your case. This is IBS-C and would very likely benefit from the use of Zelnorm for 6 to 8 weeks of short-term treatment.

I find it interesting that you describe yourself as both anxious and depressed. While feeling anxious is quite common and the features most readily recognized by most patients, I'm curious to know what characteristics you are demonstrating or symptoms you are experiencing that leads you to conclude that you are depressed?

I will share with you, as I have with many patients, that making definitive changes to your emotional state with regard to anxiety or true clinical depression are more rooted in specifically how and what you are ruminating about, rather than what types of things you need to "do" in order to try and inflect change. More importantly, is the identification of environmental conditions that may be the root cause for situational emotional crisis. Habits that place you in a constant state of anticipating some type of crisis can work swiftly to slow you down to a grinding halt. One's outlook is severely attenuated and the drive to push ahead is all but stalled. Life circumstances falsely appear to be inevitable and in control of your destiny, whereby notions of escapism run high.

One key factor to remember about "relaxation techniques" is that they tend to bring to the surface all that you are seeking to relax from, the consequences of which can sometimes appear to be like trying to move an elephant with a feather. The actual origins of anxiety, while important, are not as critically important as the clear need to realize that the excessiveness of thought brings about absolutely no beneficial changes to the situation of concern and only serves to exacerbate physical symptoms. The basis for much anxiety is often rooted in perspectives of insecurity and diminished self-confidence, that you won't be good enough, or perform well enough, or be dependable enough or responsible enough, always trying to make certain that you've dotted all the "i"s and crossed the "t"s so that nothing will go wrong, a task too ominous for mortal being. No degree of anticipation can prevent the unexpected. It's a part of life. We deal with it effectively by logically assessing it in real time and responding in ways that successfully reduce negative outcomes to the greatest extent possible.

At bare minimum, Kathryn, you must surely realize after all these months that no true physical disease is present within you and despite broad fluctuation in your symptoms, the result is always the same. You are phyically healthy and try as you might to consider the possibilities, this simply will not change at a pace which you mistakenly believe to be capable. It is clearly inaccurate self-assessment through unbridled and illogical belief patterns and your uncertainty arises largely from self-doubt. Again, you presently must rely upon external reassurance rather than your own guidance and this is where things break down for you. It is a rather vicious cycle of creating your own labryinth of anguish whereby you must also retain and hold near to you the icons of reassurance in order to quell the panic and worry that arises as a consequence. In other words, you create the mythical monsters but feel compelled to lay your sword in the hands of another to slay the beast.

Many people also develop chronic anxiety because their life choices and circumstances have placed them in a position where the results are quite the opposite of their life-long expectations, feeling trapped as a consequence. Sometimes, the fear that catastrophic illness or terminal conditions may be upon them to rob them of ever obtaining their goals and moreover, they feel immensely guilty that they will not be there for their offspring or other loved ones. In addition, the life they so anxiously must draw out leagues ahead of them is instantly dimmed and snuffed out.  

All of these potential factors and many more all whirl around in the minds of the anxious individual and it can be exhausting, both mentally and physically. The worse an anxious person feels, the more elevated the symptoms can become. Just a reality check, Kathryn. Shake it off and buck up your fears. Get back in the saddle and get hold of the problem. Your heart will forever be fine and must become the least of your worries.

Best regards and Good Health          

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2007, 11:43pm

Hi

Thank you again.

I realise I need to get a hold, and am trying.  You hit the nail on the head about life goals, I am not where I want in my life.  But am to scared to take any risks, and worry about what other people may think and I also do not like the thought of hurting or upsetting others to get what I want.

I don't think I necessarily worry about disease, I learning to accept whatever happens happens, but I do not like the symptoms, they are quite restrictive.  I suppose I do worry about having to go to hospital for whatever reason, for reasons I explained yesterday, I do not feel safe with our health care system.  I want to be better straight away and when I not I start to get anxious.

I know I need further counselling, about something I feel extremely guilty about and I think I am like I am now as I've been punishing myself for these events for years and naturally my body reacts to situations how it does now, and it's all because I've taught myself to subconciously react that way.

I put I'm depressed because I can not see the point in anything, I feel like I can't get myself out of this big trench once again.

Thank you very much for replying,  Smiley

Kath x

ps how's the book coming on?  Smiley

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2007, 9:56am

My intent is not to hold you in condemnation or merely point out errors in thinking. You've come a long way since we first talked. It is important, however, for you to maintain vigilence on the matter and become determined to overcome your fears.

Many, many people fear success because they are too apprehensive about taking risks. Well, there is a clear separation between folks who simply take blind attempts versus people who carefully research their options, weigh the risks and various outcomes and then go after their goal. All of life is about risk and for those who take none, there is little reward because life does not exist behind a buffer of safety, but rather fully exposed in the fast lane and the more you want, the more relative risk you must potentially take. But the key is to sharpen your skills with regard to carefully examining the prospects so that you can anticipate and move accordingly such that it works in your favor as much as possible.

As I've shared on the forum before, I was a former combat pilot before leaving the service to enter medicine and I can readily tell you that the urge to take risks beyond reasonable safety is a constant pressure for every pilot. When you see and engage the enemy, you want to see them going down in flames, basically wanting to win and demonstrate overwhelming superiority. But in order to succeed, you must restrain those desires within the constraints of all the training and experience you've gained. Otherwise, it's more certain than not that you'll be the one going down in flames. It's a battle of logic, strategy and timing. It's knowing when to go for the kill or when to run away to fight again another day.

Life and all that we do is very much like any campaign of war, where discipline and careful use of resources can mean the difference between winning or losing. The most important factor I can share with you, however, is never be afraid to fail and never look upon failure as any indication of your potential. Failure is an instrument to thrive upon and reshape your strategy and skills. It's the greatest teacher of all. If you're afraid to fail, then you'll never know the true meaning of what winning is all about. There were many times during my life when I met with failure and it's the turning point for determination to take over. You don't walk away beaten, but rather poised to return with a more proficient and effective strategy for overcoming obstacles and succeeding.

Lastly for now, the consequences for failure are always temporary, but the consequences of never trying are life-long. It's your choice. Make a plan of action, test your hypothesis and then go for your goals with all your determination. It's a recipe for success. The only barrier between you and your goals is lack of persistent determination. We all get one life to live, so you can either choose to let it happen to you or take charge and make it happen the way you intend. Your choice. And if it's any comfort, I am certain that you hold the ability to achieve whatever it is that you wish.  

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2007, 11:49pm

Thank you  Smiley

I do want to be more confident and take sensible risks, I used to thrive on it,  but I worry now that risks we take could effect my whole family and is that fair? but then if the risks succeeded then it would possibly be good for my family.

I just think that when you take risks you normally end up hurting or upsetting someone in the process, and thats just not me, I do not have the confidence to stand up for myself when things backfire.  My parents are not big risk takers and they always not intentionally as they are lovely make me question what I want to do and that hinders me.  The've always especially my mum, always worry about what people may say or be thinking and thats rubbed off on me a little.  e.g if I raise my voice to my children in a shop for being naughty, she'll say Kathryn everyone's looking. personally I don't care that people are looking if I've told my children quietly and nicely to behave a few times and they still misbehave then they will get told off no matter where I am, as they need to learn to do as they are told. I know if i see a parent tell there child off then I think, thank goodness for that I'm not the only one!  Smiley but I then find myself worrying as I do not want to embarress my mum when we're out, but then she'll start getting aggrivated because the children are misbehaving, which then makes me stressed even more, I'm in a no win situation.  I like to please my parents but they (not intentionally) have held me back alot so far, they are always pointing out the negative in a plan or situation and that puts me off.  Don't get me wrong my parents are really lovely and I had a great upbringing, but they can be quite old fashioned and sometimes naive in there views and opinions.

I think I am going to have to stop worrying about what others think and just go for what I want and like you say not worry about failure.  After all it's my life and I don't want to sit back when I'm older and think I wish I'd done this or that.

Thank you for the very good advice.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print