Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question (Read 3376 times)
Nicolette
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Question
Jan 15th, 2007, 8:05am

Can Svt become dangerous? Yesterday I had racing heartbeat, I was short of breath, and really hot. I went to bed a little shaky. I woke up at about 3am drenched in sweat! I have a hard time believing these sinister things are benign. But I'am working on it. I'm about a week away from starting my period, and I've kept a journal for the last year tracking my symptoms. Looking back my palpitations, anxiety , and panic are much much worse around this time of the month! Can hormones contribute this much to the disorder?

Thanks,
~Nicolette

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Question
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2007, 10:08am

Supraventricular tachycardia can be a risk factor for events, depending upon the origin of the SVT and relative physical state of the individual experiencing it. But let's pause for a moment to consider whether the event you experienced constituted SVT or PAT (paroxsymal atrial tachycardia). PAT tends to be a bit more common in otherwise healthy individuals.

Indeed, benign palpitations are harmless to the heart and general physiology. They are a mere superimposition of electrical impulse to the heart. And without doubt, hormonal changes can indeed increase the potential for palpitations to occur, due to the influence of hormones upon the nervous system in general. Surges of epinephrine from the adrenal glands can be particularly disturbing in its ability to make the heart race, increase sweating, produce tremulousness and other symptoms.

In the presence of elevated heart rate without a known cause and in healthy persons, placing a cool compress over the eyes and pressing very gently for about 30 to 40 seconds will typically reverse the condition, a response known as the dive reflex.

You'll be fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Nicolette
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Question
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2007, 11:23am

Thank You RLR!!! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1