Measles (Read 4237 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Measles
Jan 18th, 2007, 1:22am

Hi

Quick Question.  I'm looking after my 11 month old niece today, my sister-in-law told me she had measles.  She said she got a rash on Saturday and the spots/rash had gone on or by Monday, it's now Thursday, my niece hasn't had her MMR immunisation either yet, she is ok now, my sister-in-law didn't take her to the doctors either only called the NHS out of hours, and it was my mother-in-law that said it's measles, but I haven't had measles and don't particulary want to either, how long is she contagious for? I've had german measles and have had my immunisations.

Also what are the chances of my children getting it the've all had there MMR immunistions?

Thanks

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Measles
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2007, 7:30pm

Unimmunized children and adults are at high risk for measles infection. It is highly contagious. Although the symptoms are mostly recognized by the red spots, known as Koplik Spots, the disease is actually a respiratory viral infection. Rubeola (measles) and Rubella(German Measles) are two separate viruses and Rubella usually lasts about 3 days, whereas Rubeola can typically range from 7 to 10 days. Both variants are most often spread by droplets in the air produced by the hacking cough of the infected person.

If you're immunized, your chances of becoming infected are rather small. It's also not certain if the infant was actually suffering from measles, so concern should not be all that great. Many conditions can cause a rash, such as Pitariasis Rosacea, so I wouldn't place my bets on the accuracy of the child's assessment, no disrespect intended toward family members. Unless respiratory symptoms of some degree were present, then I'd stand down for now. Besides, if it was indeed the case, then exposure to  the measles virus has potentially already occurred, which would simply mean that your kids potentially get the measles. Not that you want it, but nothing you can do at that point but endure it. It also tends to be more serious with age, so younger children tend to fair quite well. While anti retroviral treatment is available in some cases to reduce symptoms, the disease usually takes a mild course and self-resolves, leaving the affected individuals with immunity. Always remember, however, to never give children aspirin products in the presence of a viral illness. While most children do not develop Reye's syndrome, it's a definite risk that should be avoided.  

I'm going to give this one the "yaawwwwn" response. Nothing to worry about here.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Re: Measles
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2007, 1:44am

Hi

Thanks

The more I probed the more I'm convinced she didn't have it.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print