Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sotalol for ectopic beats (Read 3992 times)
billycat

England
Sotalol for ectopic beats
Jan 24th, 2007, 3:12pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have found it really useful.

I have ectopic heartbeats and general anxiety disorder. I am in the middle of an ectopic "episode" at the moment, having ectopics every minute, every hour, every day! I have had an ecg today and will be seeing a cardiologist in a couple of weeks - I'm sure nothing will be wrong - but its best to be sure.

My GP has just prescribed me Sotalol (instead of Propanolol which I have taken on and off for a few years) as she thinks this may help the heart beats more specifically. I am always quite frightened to take medicines and get fixated with the side effects (health anxiety!).

I wondered if anyone else has taken Sotalol for ectopics/palps and if so,have you been fine??!!

Thanks a lot,
Billycat   Smiley

billycat
  IP Logged
saab

Re: Sotalol for ectopic beats
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2007, 4:53am

I think this is beta-blocker, used to regulate the heart-beat though it also has a calming effect too I think. When I saw my GP due to being anxious about my heart she fished out some half-inderal beta blockers from her desk and said that these had few side effects and that doctors even take them in A and E when they are stressed and busy. (I didn't take them in the end as I started to feel better). I would guess that if you were ok with the Propanalol you would be okay with the Sotalol. Could you compare the instruction leaflets from both? If the listed side-effects are the same it probably means they are very similar. I am always worried about taking medicines too, but I guess they have to list any side effects that came to light during drug trials however few people experienced them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print