Sensations (Read 20765 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Re: Sensations
Reply #15 - Feb 03rd, 2007, 3:16am

Hi Rich

I'm awaiting a assertiveness course, but as always theres a massive waiting list.

I always worry about what I've said and re-run it in my head over and over, like you really.

I think I felt funny as I may have a virus, my eyes hurt if I move them side to side or up and the back of my neck keeps aching.  My daughter come down with Chicken Pox yesterday, the other 2 had it when they were 4 and 2, so bless her she's covered in big red spots, luckily she's not been to bad with it just a bit more wingy.

Also went out to a Ann Summers party last night and thats always good for a giggle with the girls so feel ok today.

We've been getting on alot better so far with the friends we had a big argument with last year, I do not want it getting as it was before too quickly but it's nice to be friends.  I actually invited my friend along last night.

It sounds as if your ex friends are trying to make a mends, but it's nice their sending the children cards especially if they are god parents as they are up keeping their responsibility.  Even when me and my friends fell out last year, I still sent my friend God mother cards and she sent God daughter card at christmas.  As it's not the childrens fault.  If they have caused you problems perhaps it's best to stay away.

We have some strange friends, but I'm sure they may think me and my hubby are strange sometimes too.   Grin

I think your fine, I think you'll feel better when you've seen the cardiologist again.  I've had times where I've worried myself as things have felt differentely than normal, try not to anaylse too much, I know it's easier said than done.

Hope your daughter had a lovely birthday.  By the way are you in the UK?

Hope you feel ok

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
helsbels
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Berkshire England
Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2007, 2:27am

Hello Rich - just reading through your last post when you are describing this strange rhythm you have been having.  I've been experiencing a very similar thing - I have been having pvcs/pacs for a few years now - and like you they have been isolated in nature, albeit sometimes they can be as much as a few a minute.  But over the past say, 6 weeks I have been getting these sort of irregular rhythms much as you have desribed gettings - they start with a sort of skipped beat feeling and then seem totally irregular really before finally going into a very fast tachycardia (which I don't think you had).  I have gone back to my cardiologist and he has given me an event monitor to catch exactly what is happening -he said it could just be a bunch of ectopics with some normal beats in between before then going into svt but obviously can't be 100% certain so has said let's see what we catch.   I have had the monitor a week now and only managed to catch a few seconds of something - you know I really want to experience the funky rhythms I've had before so I know for sure what is going on, but by the same token, I don't ever want to have one again because they are so scary.  Anyway I will let you all know what happens!

Take care everyone
Helen x

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #17 - Feb 5th, 2007, 4:32am

Well Rich, I certainly don't have to mention here that in response to your query, the human body changes over time and includes all aspects of physiology, ie metabolism, etc.

It is inappropriate to make direct relationships between what you felt for 23 years, versus what you are experiencing now. Changes in physiology occur just as they do with other aspects of aging, ie vision, weight, strength etc. The body's ability to handle stress also changes dramatically. The sort of impact that these stressors have on the body at 20 are far different than the effects at 45 and above and it's sort of a sliding scale.

Your difficulty is not your heart or your health, but rather your perception of the situation. You have ruminated to the extent that you have convinced yourself that all tests to the contrary, something terrible is looming and it's only a matter of time before something catastrophic occurs. In response, you've even changed your lifestyle.

It's perfectly normal for persons with benign palpitations to become fearful in the absence of knowing what the cause is and whether it is the consequence of disease. But once tests confirm a healthy heart, the problem lies elsewhere if you see what I mean. You have gone to great lengths in your posts to differentiate what I describe about the condition versus what you, in particular, are experiencing and it's very telltale of what is going on in your mind. Once a person becomes erroneously convinced that something is wrong, constant external reassurance is necessary to keep things from running amuk with fear and worry.

Your tests will turn out fine and it will provide you with some relief. Beyond that, however, is the need for you to re-direct your concerns to life beyond the condition because as I've stated on the forum many times, the palpitations will never harm you or cause a cardiac event to occur. Again, it doesn't matter how you describe the sequence of the events, I still regard them as I originally did without reservation. I've been at this for more than 40 years and in all that time, I've encountered hundreds and hundreds of patients who describe their circumstances similarly. And in that same time, I've never even once heard of a patient experiencing a cardiac event as a consequence of benign palpitations.

"A rose by any other name" comes to mind here as we talk. Your condition, regardless of the particular variety you describe, is still and will remain, benign.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Dickyboy199

England
Reply #18 - Feb 7th, 2007, 1:19pm

Hi RLR,

Thanks again for yet another reassuring post.  I am very grateful for your replies and your enormous understanding of the phenomena that a lot of us on here experience.  Believe it or not I am a very logical, rational person with a sound scientific mind.  If you knew my profession I think you would be surprised that I can be so irrational when it comes to affairs of the heart (so to speak!)

I have suffered the frightening feelings of my heart missing beats, thumping, racing and beating irregular, like many others have, over the years and have read so much about why it happens.  I know full well that it is related to anxiety, although it never seems to happen directly when I am in an anxious state but will come on as if for no reason at some other later date.  Again I know this happens to so many other people too.  What I didn't know until I read your posts is that it is related to the Vagal nerve and this explains a lot, especially as I used to suffer from IBS many years ago.  

Also I see a pattern emerging when reading posts on here and on similar forums.  People who experience frequent benign ectopics nearly always have some form of anxiety problem or experience gastric activity or IBS, sometimes they have all three!  I sometimes wonder was it the chicken or the egg or rather does the onset of asymptomatic ectopic beats predispose someone to develop an over anxious nature related to their heart or do only already anxious people happen to feel their heart and worry over every single irregular beat!!

I know that I have always been prone to some irrational anxiety when I was a kid and now in my adult life I am just a bit of a worrier.  I am fully aware of the results of the tests that have already been carried out and the excellent prognosis I have been given but the 'change' in the type of rhythm and ectopic beat is what has led me to worry once again.  The odd isolated ectopic here and there doesn't bother me in the slightest anymore.  But I do understand when you say that the weird rhythm is still simply benign ectopics and they have just taken another form.  

I am also very aware that since they started almost 3 years ago I have totally given up all forms of exercise for fear of 1000's of ectopics for hours after. Which is what I was experiencing after running three miles three times a week at work?  This led me to seek out my cardiologist once again and put me off running totally.  I have also taken beta blockers for those 3 years, I have put on weight and I am three years older!!  I'm going to be 43 this year.  So I do realise that the body changes and that this is probably yet another change but I find this run of beats much more difficult to get past because it feels so very different to what I am used to, hence the alarm that something has changed.  

When I get the odd skip here and there it's no problem but when I get a run of them every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day I can't seem to relax about them.  To me they are getting much more frequent and when it happens I don't know when it will go back into normal rhythm.  Also you can't miss them happening.  I feel sure that even I miss the odd ectopic now and again; I don't even notice them, even though they are still happening.  But even if you miss the first couple of beats with this rhythm you'll darn well notice all the others!

I have an appointment with my cardiologist on March 16th and he is arranging an event monitor just to identify what I am experiencing.  In his letter he tells me that I have an excellent prognosis, being that they have more cardiac data on me than most people in the population!  He says the mitral valve leak is so minimal I could probably live to 180!  He's got a good sense of humour as you can see!  Anyway I will let you know the outcome of my consultation and the holter monitor results.  

Since writing on this forum and corresponding with you I have been able to relax more about these runs that I am experiencing.  I am not so morbid about them and if anything just getting a bit annoyed with them.  I guess there isn't really anything anyone can do.  They will hopefully subside in due course once I stop focussing on them.  I still think it's very strange in the way they have developed and how they have increased in frequency.

I guess I'll never really get to the bottom of it and I don't think there is a suitable answer.  The trouble is my analytical mind always tries to find the logical answer and I don't think there is one.  The bottom line is my heart is structurally sound and providing this rhythm is just another benign one then I will have to forget about it and try as hard as possible to ignore them!  I know that’s going to be easier said than done!  

Anyway thanks again for you valuable support, I am very grateful for your advice.

Best wishes

Richard

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #19 - Feb 7th, 2007, 1:36pm

Listen Rich,

Your logic and analytical methodology wouldn't surprise me at all. I have a number of colleagues who seek me out for the very same advice and I know them all to be very sound and logical professionals otherwise. One of the most frustrating dilemmas with palpitations is that unlike a twitching eye that can be rubbed to resolution, there is nothing that a patient can do to forestall a benign palpitation or foreclose on it once a run starts. It is the unpredictability and helplessness that plagues so many good people afflicted with the condition.

If it's any comfort, we've begun to investigate several prospects for temporary relief, including research with some of the milder anticholinergics, which in general have an dampening affect on the Vagus nerve. We'll have to see what turns up, but it'll unfortunately be some time before we can get something across the counter to help out. In the meantime, you can discuss several short-term options with your primary care physician that may help to bring relief, including atenolol which is a beta-blocker that regulates rhythm and surprisingly also provides a mild anxiolytic effect for many patients. The combination could help to reduce the frequency of the palpitations and increase your comfort level without doing much to affect blood pressure.

Thanks for a very thorough response.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print