Send Topic Print
Counselling ? (Read 12327 times)
cazza

I Love YaBB 2!

england
Counselling ?
Feb 01st, 2007, 2:02am

Hi
Even though i have been told that my missed beats are not sinister they are still having a great effect on me  i have lost a lot of confidence and i cant get my head around why i have them every day.
My doctor suggested counselling might help me cope with them   has any one else tried this and has it helped  thanks   carol x

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Re: Counselling ?
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2007, 4:12am

I am in the same boat and did go to see someone to evaluate me. He said he thought it was something I could easily work through with some Cognative Behavioral Therapy-whatever that is.  But he said no need for medication just some help with training myself in the way I think and react to things.  He has sent me to a lady that I see Tuesday for the first time so I wil let you know how it goes. I am looking forward to it since I have always been a bit of a worrier and think the worst, and now the events of the last year have me constantly waiting for the next disaster!! I would certainly give it a shot- can't hurt.

IP Logged
saab

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2007, 9:51am

I am in the same boat as you both -  told ectopics are nothing to worry about, but finding it difficult to accept. I read some CBT books which helped quite a bit - it encourages you to look at your feelings more logically and recognise the errors in how you think eg. 'catastrophic thinking' - imagining the worse possible outcome to everything. I used these two - David Burns 'The New Mood Therapy, and E. Bourne "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook". I haven't had counselling myself but know of others who have found it useful. If it is free and you don't have to wait too long to start, I would go for it.

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 3:20am

Hi

I think counselling is a good idea, I'm currently doing a anxiety management class, it helps a bit but at the moment we're covering things I covered on my relaxation course, which helped alot!  I'm awaiting CBT, and counselling.  At the end of the day it can't hurt, and it may help.

I'd say go for it

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
TOOTS

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2007, 8:39am

I feel the same as you all my non acceptance of this being not a danger to me is doing me no good at all - I am thinking about it ALL the time and going through a particularly bad period at the moment.  I did consider some short of hyno therapy but think counselling would do me more good. I feel at the moment this 'condition' is ruining my quality of life and feel very jealous of people who go through life without them, which I know selfish and wrong because of the people who are suffering from some terrible things.  I just know it is me and what is going on inside my head which is making things worse and would do anything to stop it  - speak again soon.  Sue [UK] Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2007, 12:31am

Hi

Anxiety isn't something that happens to you, it's something we do to ourselves.  The more you stay in non acceptance of your symptoms the more your stay in a anxious state, sometimes without even realising it.

Last week on my anxiety management class, we were given a list of symptoms and were asked to tick which ones we have, we all ticked nearly all of them,  You'd be amazed how many symptoms were on there and that wasn't all of them.

As for being jealous of people around you, I went though a small phase of that, until one day I was talking with my friend, I went to school with her, she gave birth and due to a hospital blunder her baby ended up brain damaged and went to a hospital in London 10 days later she had to make the heart rendering decision to turn off the life support, he lived for a couple a days, she said all she could think was she hadn't changed his nappy, at the same time her mum was having a operation as she had breast cancer.   Now to look at her or her mum you'd never know what the'd been through.  My point is, everyone has something, weather it be small or serious, it's how you deal with it.  Thats not easy, but you all must take notice of what the doctors have told you (I still question sometimes), try to overcome your anxiety, it takes time.  I'm talking from experience, I'm living it now.

I still have really bad days and I'm straight here asking for reassurance as logic just won't kick in.  

My keep yourselves anxious you are keeping all the symptoms too.  

Try to break the cycle.

Hope you all don't mind me sticking my ore in

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
TOOTS

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2007, 3:37pm

Hi Kathryn
don't mind you replying to my thoughts at all - maybe I shouldnt have used the word jealous - it is a strong word and I totally understand that there are people who go through a lot of suffering in their lives and I am aware of that.  I also realise that anxiety is something that is created by me and me alone but I suppose things in my life haven't helped and I think  my anxiety has been born from having a   disabled daughter, losing my brother suddenly  last year and my other daughter having mental health problems.  Sometimes you are so hung up on your worries that they tend to take over and anxiety steps in and everything that goes with it. I have reached an age now whereby I don't think I am going to change but I thank God that I can visit this site to gain re assurance and friendship.

IP Logged
toto

Scotland
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2007, 2:14pm

IMHO...I think you should get help from anyone and anything  and everything that may help.

I went to a counsellor once upon a time, when I found my sister had almost stopped listening to me and my friends were glazing over! I was starting to want to body swerve myself! lol. My favourite phrase was that I was boring passing strangers to death about me and my problems! So it was time for a spot of professional counselling! It was quite good. I didn't agree with everything they said but it did make me realise things and move forward instead of being stuck in a sort of 'loop' of thinking.

Someone on the Nomorepanic forum had recommended the book: CBT for Dummies as a really easy book to read up on CBT so I thought I might give it a read.
( here's the link for amazon for info)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy-Dummies-Willson/dp/0470018380/sr=1-1/qid=1170886076/ref=sr_1_1/203-6208690-4466355?ie=UTF8&s=books

Good luck and take care
Toni x

IP Logged
toto

Scotland
Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2007, 1:25am

Hi Sue,
I agree with you that when you have a lot of 'stuff' going on in your life your worries can magnify your anxiety 100%. My son went through a lot this year having major panic attacks after being threatened by a gang. Of course your family affects you and it takes its toll on your own self.
Although your problems are yours and mine are mine...I can empathise a bit.  I could only know what it feels like for you if I walked in your shoes for a year. I do think its possible to change the way we react though. Its not easy though but it is possible. Your way may not be my way but I try to get help and support from anywhere that I can get it! Books, friends, family, therapists, doctors, work colleagues. I have a huge support system!!! and I still get anxious but I've learnt recently that if you practice stopping the worries from escalating and distract yourself then it does work. One article I read said to keep an elastic band around your wrist and when you started on that downward spiral of thoughts to snap it on your wrist and shout at yourself inside "STOP IT" and it sort of makes you laugh and stop. I'm not saying it works straight away but I've done it work a couple of times and it worked then.
However, I woke up this morning at 4am and started worrying about the snow in London today and I'm meant to be going down to stay there tomorrow and did I get back to sleep?...NO! But I got up and distracted myself and had a cup of tea and forgot about it.

Crikey, I'm burbling again...sorry. The point of this was to say, I DO think its possible to change the way we think and react...don't give up. Smiley
Take care and thanks for your replies to my posts
Toni x

IP Logged
cazza

I Love YaBB 2!

england
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2007, 2:39am

Thanks everyone for replying
I am going to give it a go  as  i am open to any thing that will help
you all sound as if you have made progress with it
long waiting list on the n h s though....never mind Wink
take care  carol x

IP Logged
Stu M

Keep Smiling :0)

Northants - UK
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2007, 4:40am

Hi Carol,

As you know from our dealings on the 'No more Panic' site, I am doing Analytical Hypnotherapy at the moment.

I feel it is helping me battle some demons from my past, but if im honest its not stopped the skipped beats.  

However the big thing is they are starting to not be an issue for me, and hence I dont panic so much.  This I think is due to therapy and with help from freinds (on and off forums, such as this) and with reasurance from information given to us (from the likes of RLR) I think they will go.

They first step is not being frightened of them, and that is the step I am tentatively placing my foot at the moment.  So get as much help as you can !!!

One last thing, I did have to go private and pay for my therapy, I cant afford it but in the end what is money over quality of life?  Unfortunately the NHS in the UK just didnt make it an option.  They have just taken away all the therapy resources in my part of the country, and that puts me behind all those other people on waiting lists, such as yourself in your own areas.  Shame!!

Stu

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print