Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
my weird feeling (Read 5593 times)
ticktockthump
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

my weird feeling
Feb 06th, 2007, 5:31pm

i am new to this. and don't know how to do lots of this stuff. but i have had about four times that my heart went in to rapid irregular beating that i went to the er for. i have gotten six different explanations from four different doctors of how to respond. Smiley i find this web site very comforting to read but wish i could find a way to stop these feelings of gloom and doom.i am taking full responsability for my health since i am not to pleased with the way the medical industry deals with health and wellness issues. i have done research for a year and a half on this and  have come to the conclusion that i have a vegal nerve promblem. my heart lately is adding a beat some times 5 to 10 times a day. i know it is not as much as some i have read. but each time it throws me for a loop and i get week kneed feeling and kinda short of breath. i will say that if i keep my self busy i do not think of this and go along fine then i realize i havent had a blip lately and i think i work my self up an get one. i have been taking my tempature daily three time and it never goes above 96.2 and some times is as low as 94.7? i have been taking lots of supplements that are good for your nerves and heart but just wish i could stop thinking about this and get back to a half way normal life. i could go on about my self but am really hoping for some one to have a suggestion that worked for them to get back to normal that might work for me

IP Logged
saab

Re: my weird feeling
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2007, 2:37am

Hi,

I am assuming that when you have visited the ER you have been checked out for heart problems and they haven't found anything and you have been checked for other things like maybe thyroid problems? If so, then you will find lots of support here - many of us suffer benign palpitations or ectopics and are struggling with the anxiety that they bring.

I have found this site very supportive - read through all the other posts and look for the comments by RLR, he is a heart doctor and his explanations have gone a long way to reassuring me about my heart, so they may help you. My other number one tip for anxiety is to buy Dr. Claire Weekes, "Self Help for Your Nerves". This book has helped thousands of people and you will find it recommended by many anxiety sufferers. It is good that you are trying to help yourself to get over this - I have found dietary changes and gentle exercise to be vey beneficial. I always avoid caffeine - tea, coffee, cola, energy drinks, chocolate are completely out - I now try to eat lighter meals and don't eat after about 6pm if possible. I am trying to avoid sugar and processed food at the moment. I don't drink alcohol anyway, but I know that some people find it sets their heart racing. I am sure you will have analysed these incidents already and tried to find the trigger for them and that big dietary changes are not always practical but I have found it helpful to me.

I think the most reassuring thing is that many times RLR has said that if your heart structure is basically ok (tests would show this) then palpitations, missed beats etc. are not harming it and will not lead to a heart attack. Hope this helps.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2007, 5:31am

okay, well let's put things in perspective and make a response to your concerns. Actually, while familiar to some extent with cardiology, I'm actually in the field of neurology. This specialty focuses upon the brain and nervous system, together with its effects upon physiology and the treatment of diseases that effect these systems.

It's important for you to realize that symptoms do not necessarily equate with disease, a common misperception by many patients that can cause the mind to run wild with unwarranted fears and apprehension. The nervous system is the information highway for everything the body does on a daily basis and without it, you could not exist. I say that to demonstrate how important it is for you to realize that when problems arise with your senses, it can be very frightening because the body only has one method for sensing problems. So when you sense something, you immediately become convinced that it is real, when in fact it is only a problem with the system that "senses" things. Understand?

In other words, if I take away your sense of hearing you will become disoriented in certain ways because without realizing it, you use your sense of hearing to orient you in many ways to things around you. If I removed your sense of vision, you would encounter the same difficulty and disorientation. The same holds true for your sense of touch, smell and other sensory systems. All of these sensory systems work with each other to develop an overall awareness that things are "normal" to you. So what do you think would happen if there was a disturbance taking place with the sensory systems as a consequence of sensitivity? It manifests itself in the very ways being described on this forum by many members and guests. It is not a disease at all, but merely the manifestation of physical symptoms being detected by these folks and incorrectly being construed as harmful or an indication that something is wrong. But it's so very easy for this to occur because it's being detected through the very same system that also tells us when something is indeed wrong. See how that works?

As healthcare professionals, we have many ways of telling whether your symptoms are the real thing or not. So it's very important to realize that all of the diagnostic tests that we use are specifically designed to identify real disease and if your tests are negative, then it's a very clear indicator that no real disease is causing your symptoms. This does not mean that your symptoms are not real by any means, only that disease or illness is not causing them. They are, in fact, being caused by your sensory system as a consequence of increased stimulation. This increased stimulation is oftentimes caused by anxiety or heightened level of apprehension and fear that is frequently difficult to identify. Patients become convinced that since nothing readily identifiable can be detected to cause such fear, together with strange symptoms that are unusual, that the only logical reason must be that something dreadful is about to happen to them physically. They become very, very frustrated that diagnostic tests cannot detect what is wrong and fears become intensified because if it can't be located, then it is only going to get worse, possibly fatal. Again, it's important to realize that our methods for testing are based upon actual illness that could be life-threatening. If the disease is not there, the tests will be negative and that's a very good thing except that it doesn't explain why patients are having "symptoms" if nothing bad is wrong. It just doesn't make sense to them.

So now we're back to the original statement that in such cases, the sensory system itself is undergoing difficulty. It's providing you feedback that something is terribly wrong, but yet no real disease is present. It is this juncture where you must focus your logic and realize that your system which you rely so heavily upon for telling you the truth is unavoidably telling you a lie because it's not working properly. Here's an example; If the oil light on your automobile tells you that your engine has no oil, it could either be that your engine truly has no oil, or that the sensory switch itself is faulty. Right? In fact, this is very often the case for mechanics and car owners. And here's the real fact that's comforting; It is far more often the case that the sensory switch is faulty than it is for a car's engine to have suddenly lost all of its motor oil. See? The same holds true for your sensory system. When it's having trouble, your sensory system will far more often tell you that something is wrong, when in fact you are just fine, than it will alert you to something dreadful, which is far more rare.

The short answer here is that you're physically fine. No disease. Your sensory system is having some problems and is on high alert because you are experiencing anxiety for one reason or another. If you'll focus on why the anxiety is occurring, your other problems and worries will magically disappear.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
ticktockthump
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2007, 4:54pm

thank you saab and rlr for your response. i have had test on my heart and they were all fine. although i was told that i have a bi valve instead of a tri valve in my heart. looks like i have had it from birth and not much concern by the cardio doctor. the reason i have been taking my tempature lately is because i have read that thyroid promblems (can or can not ) cause heart palps. and have been taking a basil temp under my arm in the morning recommended in a book "thyroid power" by dr shames. all that i have read and some information i have found from others sounds like i might have a thyroid issue. so if the next few days show tempature wise i might have this. i will go get some blood work done and see if it is thyroid or adrenal promblems.again thank you for your response. this is such a great web site. i come and read it when i feel down and out and the information from rlr and others always picks me up and reassures me things are going to be ok.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2007, 3:00pm

Okay, let's take care when attempting to discern thyroid disease based upon charasmatics, which is the category I would place the text you are reading. Many things can cause changes in basal temperature, including simple viruses and yes, even anxiety. Even the time of day can cause changes to basal temp.

It's indeed appropriate to be evaluated through blood tests and scans of your thyroid to determine whether an actual problem exists, but I would not use your basal temperature as a baseline to make judgments about your thyroid. My suspicion is that your tests will be normal, however, but please let us know.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print