Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Constant ectopics and rapid heart rate (Read 5936 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Constant ectopics and rapid heart rate
Feb 09th, 2007, 6:10am

I am terrified and having worse and worse symptoms since my 24 hour holter monitor. Everyone had expected this to be normal, but I have now been asked to go back for another appointment but no-one will tell me what is wrong so I am trying to go private to see if that way I will be privileged to some information. The consultant's secretary has managed to divulge that on my tracing there were some 'rare' events. What does 'rare' mean in doctor speak? And also because of my age it was not normal? At what age is it normal to be getting ectopic heartbeats and palpitations and a racing heart. Because I don't just have one of these things but all three.

Anyway over the last few days my symptoms have been getting worse again and today I have had an episode with a heart beat over 100 (couldn't count it that accurately as very fast at points), and ectopic heartbeats constantly nearly all morning. My chest hurts and my shoulder. I find it hard to believe that my mind is bringing this on.

Also what worries me is that everywhere you are told that exercise evens out ectopic beats but with me it doesn't. So while I wanted to start doing something to strengthen my heart now I am too frightened that this will damage my heart further or cause me to pass out.

Can anyone enlighten me? I am so very frightened because I have two little boys to look after and am too young to die - although I expect everyone thinks this. But I am only 38 and have no risk factors that I know of.

IP Logged
saab

Re: Constant ectopics and rapid heart rate
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2007, 8:23am

I am sorry that you are having such a terrible time. When I was first diagnosed with ectopics I was terrified I was about to drop dead. All I can say is that if your test was really bad they would have admitted you to hospital. My GP also told me that current medicines are very effective even for people who have severe arrythmia (not to say you have this). Sorry I don't have any other info, but I hope you feel better soon.

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2007, 9:12am

Saab - thank you. I hope you are right. Do you think so really. I just read an article about a young woman who nearly died after having palpitations - it turns out she had a virus that affected her heart. She did get better though. But I am scared maybe that is what it is because they have only captured very mild events on the ecg nothing like today or what I have had in the past.

I can't stop thinking about it because I am finding it hard to breathe through them and why do I have pain on the left of my body but not the right, if there is nothing wrong.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2007, 2:51pm

Okay, let's take a big deep breath and relax. The primary issue that I see responsible for elevating your concerns is taking any part of what a "consultant's secretary" shares with you as valid to any degree. I know of no secretaries that are professionally trained in reading diagnostic tests, moreover, who have the ability and the moxy in this case to try and enlighten a patient. Never try and elicit information about test results from anyone except your trained health professional, ie the doctor. If we see anything of concern about your tests, rest assured we won't be sitting on the fence rail.

I have never described any abherent readings as "rare." We do not deal in antiquities in the medical profession, which is where I believe the term "rare" appropriately belongs. I can tell you with all confidence that if your holter had indicated the presence, or even possible presence, of cardiac pathology, you'd have been whisked into the medical arena without hesitation. We don't just allow patients in such a position to simply sit by and wait while we look for an opportunity to next visit with them.

Also, your heart is not being damaged in any way whatsoever by benign palpitations. I have used the analogy of a misplaced telephone call to describe how harmless the events actually are and you should search out and read my postings where this is concerned.  

As for the respondant who read about a patient nearly dying from palpitations subsequent to a viral infection, you are speaking of an entirely different process altogether that has absolutely nothing to do with the benign variant of palpitations being experienced by persons on this forum. The problem with lay-person perceptions is that a palpitation is a palpitation is a palpitation in their minds. It's not that simplistic by any stretch of the imagination. There are thousands of various signs of disease that are quite separate from one another through the eyes of trained medical professionals. Media is largely responsible for misleading readers as well, having not done a thorough investigation into specificities of the malady they are attempting to highlight.

The more patients worry, the more they read in search of relief, only to find that often the information only serves to accelerate their fears because they oftentimes misconstrue one set of unrelated circumstances as comparable to their own based upon a few simple key words. Take great care when navigating medical literature. Without the proper training, you can find yourself headed for the emergency room without cause.  

The fact that you are only 38 is in your favor and I find it somewhat comforting that your symptoms have grown "worse" in your opinion since the holter test, strongly significant for anxiety. The pain you are likely suffering is more probably associated with a syndrome known as Da Costa's syndrome and is  both harmless and associated with symptoms of anxiety disorder.

You're going to be just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print