HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alcohol (Read 4250 times)
toto

Scotland
Alcohol
Feb 16th, 2007, 12:00pm

I was just wondering what everyone's views were about drinking alcohol in relation to having ectopic heartbeats?

I gave up social drinking after Xmas because I had a bad episode of constant ectopics. I believe, now, that they began as a combination of many factors over the holiday season so when I was away last weekend I decided I would have a drink and relax with old friends. I had a great time but I must admit I had a couple of short runs of ectopics whilst sitting in the pub but decided I wasn't going to get upset by them and they settled and disappeared.

Has anyone else given up alcohol? Whats your experience or opinion?
Thanks
Toni x

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Alcohol
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2007, 1:15pm

Quite easy to explain, actually. Alcohol is a natural central nervous system depressant. As a consequence, parasympathetic nervous activity is increased and hence, the potential for benign palpitations as a result of Vagus nerve stimulation is increased in susceptible individuals.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
toto

Scotland
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2007, 3:13pm

Thats useful to know RLR but is it harmful to drink? Should I just become teetotal? Or should I just relax and ignore the ectopics. I'm not wanting to sound like some lush here but occasional social drinking is part of my current life!
Toto x

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2007, 5:22am

Consumption of alcholic beverages in small quantities, ie from 6 to 8oz per day to as low as 2 to 3oz per day, has been demonstrated to be beneficial in reducing the frequency of clot-related events and associated illnesses. Intake of such beverages within this range will do nothing to alter the course of benign palpitations other than possibly frequency. Beyond consumption in the range mentioned, I'm afraid that I have no data to provide you with a relevant response.

I do have to mention here that irrespective of benign palpitations, for high-moderate to pervasive intake of alcohol, there are indeed health-related risks.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print