Send Topic Print
What does this mean? (Read 3696 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
What does this mean?
Feb 19th, 2007, 7:32am

Hi there
I am having these awful ectopic beats and have been on atenolol for nearly a week now but is now improving my ectopic beats at all in fact possibly they are worse on occasions.
Also there is something that has become more noticeable and not in my mind... I find that if I sit at a desk or table and lean forward or type I get a sort of tension in my left arm (not the right) that leads to increased ectopic beats that escalate in frequency the longer I stay here.  For months I have wondered if I was imagining it, or was my INO making me feel dizzy in front of the screen, but I was on a day workshop course (for hobby fun, so not stressful) and nearly all morning I was having constant ectopic beats because I was sat at a table. Is that crazy or how on earth can that be explained. Is it possible for something to be rubbing on my heart and stimulating it?
Any ideas>

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: What does this mean?
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2007, 8:54am

Not rubbing on your heart, necessarily at all. The Vagus nerve is the most common source of superimposition of an ectopic beat upon the heart's normal sinus rhythm. A number of things can cause stimulation of the Vagus nerve and, consequently, it's effect on the heart in the way of benign palpitations.

I will submit to you here that I don't believe the tension in your arm is necessarily connected with the onset of palpitations, but rather your position when seated. Remember that the GI tract is innervated by the Vagus nerve as well and when seated, air can become trapped in various ways, causing stimulation to occur at the nerve, it's signal traveling outward where it can stimuate the heart, lungs, larnyx, etc., generally resulting in palpitation events and or other sensory disturbance.

In any event, it's a benign phenomenon and will never cause you any harm whatsoever. I fully realize how frightening the events can be at times, but they are nevertheless harmless. You'll be just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: What does this mean?
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2007, 9:52am

Thanks that is very interesting. On the flip side of that, this might explain why one or two yoga positions in my yoga therapy class help a lot to relieve the symptoms.

thanks so much for your help and information, you are such a source of wisdom to us worriers.

Many thanks, again
beadbabe

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print