Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
what does this mean? (Read 3694 times)
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
what does this mean?
Feb 27th, 2007, 8:44am

I did an ecg at work today, i know i shouldn't but couldn't help it!, and it stated ABNORMAL REPOLARISATION, possibly non-specific.  I have had this on a couple of other ecg's i've done in the past but today it really scared me, i did another and it was still the same and then again and still the same.  I left it for a while and then did another and it wasn't on that one.  This has really freaked me out and i was anxious all day today anyway.  My bp has been fine but my pulse has been batting away all day long.  Please tell me what this means and if it is only positional or not, thankyou.  A very scared Ang.x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: what does this mean?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2007, 2:43pm

Prolonged QT interval is a delay between the electrical excitation (or depolarization) and relaxation (repolarization) of the ventricles of the heart. The most common cause is drug-induced. There are a number of short-acting benzodiazapines that will result in a prolonged QT interval, as well as several other medications. This is nothing to worry about in the absence of pre-existing symptoms.  

As I've stated before, if you're relying upon the computer's interpretation of the ECG, then you're headed for problems because it only knows what it reads, not "why" it's being read that way. You should never rely upon a computer to provide a diagnosis or interpretation, but rather only data output.

You'll be just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Re: what does this mean?
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2007, 5:07pm

Thanks for the reply, still a bit concerned though as i donot take any medications at all so don't know why it is SUGGESTING that.  Anyway, i trust you and know that you are very knowledgable and if you say i am fine, then i am fine.  Thankyou for your reply it is much appreciated.

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print