Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ectopics, sounds and tests (Read 7686 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Ectopics, sounds and tests
Feb 28th, 2007, 1:41am

Please help.
I have seen a cardiologist last week and he has ordered a good set of tests for me next week but in the mean time my ectopics are so bad - they are all the time. I even went to A&E last night because I felt so compromised by them. But by the time they got round to testing me there they said the ecg was normal.
I can't even sleep for the strange beats now and the doctor at A&E totally refused to say what was wrong with my heart. he said he could hear some heart 'sounds' between the beats but that might be normal. What if it isn't and what could it be. I don't have any risk factors for heart disease. I am beside myself now because I don't want to die when I have two small children to look after - they are only 5 and 2 and look how can this come on so quickly I gave birth and didn't have heart problems then.
*** Is it really possible to have ectopics constantly with only the odd normal heart beat thrown in for hours on end and days at a time. *** Is it really possible to have this and have nothing wrong with your heart that will cause you to go into a dangerous and fatal heart rhythm?
People on here are saying they have a few ectopics a day - but I am worried because I am not just having a few per day but I can't count them it must be thousands.
I don't know what to do because no-one believes how awful this feels

IP Logged
saab

Re: Ectopics, sounds and tests
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2007, 4:34am

Sorry to hear you are feeling so terrible. I know just how you feel. When I was first told I had ectopics I was so scared I could barely function - panic attacks, agoraphobia, couldn't even play with my small children. I was just in a state of high anxiety all the time, couldn't sleep, expecting to drop dead any minute. Just about managed to take the kids to school, then spent the rest of the day on the settee, barely moving, with my mobile 'phone set to my husbands number so I just had to press one button.

It has taken two and a half years, but I am on the way to recovery now - from my anxiety I mean, I still have the ectopics. When I get them, I get a missed beat every 3 or 4 beats. I've tried to do the maths once or twice - 12 missed beats a minute, that's 72 a minute, and so on, torturing myself about how many there are. I am trying really hard to accept that it doesn't matter how many there are - they are not harming me. It was my GP who sent me straight to A and E after taking my pulse - imagine how alarming that was. They kept me in overnight. Told me I was okay and sent me home - ok for a few days, but I was so traumatised by the thought of heart problems that I became a nervous wreck.

I think it is possible to have ectopics a lot and still be okay. I know that I often think I am having a spell of ectopics, but when I take my pulse it is regular. Also, if your cardiologist was really concerned he would have kept you in hospital there and then and done the tests straight away. They don't let you go home if they think you are about to collapse.

As RLR always says, ecg's and other tests are specifically set up to look for all manner of heart irregularities - they do not miss heart disease. Also, as I understand it, serious heart irregularities do not come and go - it would have shown up at A and E if there was something seriously wrong. Do you think the fact that the test at A and E was ok maybe indicates that you had relaxed once you got there and the ectopics had quietened down? This would mean they are stress related. I know that the frequency and severity of mine are made worse by stress or lack of sleep. But then if I feel them I get more stressed, so you can't win really. I'm not sure which comes first anymore, actually, the stress or the ectopics.

My GP told me that even if you have a serious heart arrythmia (which you probably don't), there is a lot of very effective treatment and medication available. She said that the people who are hardest to help are heavy drinkers because that is very bad for the heart.

I'm sorry I can't offer any more practical advice. I know how you feel and it's horrible. I expect you are like me, and are already expecting the worst from your tests. It's difficult but try not to do this - I try really hard now to have a more rational approach to my anxiety about my heart. I hope you feel better soon.

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2007, 4:51pm

When I first got them, out of the blue, I was having 1000-2000 a day.  They have calmed down quite a bit since they first started about 6 months.  I think knowing they are OK and harmless and having tests to confirm and doing lots to relax myself has helped.  My Dr said no medication is needed unless you hit about 15,000-20,000 per day, then they consider doing something.  If it was something really bad the Dr's would no way let you go and you would not still be functioning.  Do some deep breathing and tell yourself you are going to be fine.  Take care~

IP Logged
billycat

England
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2007, 3:51pm

I have thousands a day too! Mine are every couple of beats and my GP also scared me silly once by sending me to A&E - i thought I must be about to die! My GP also prescribed tablets to me that are for heart arrythmia's and when I got to see a consultant, he told me not to take them as ectopics  - regardless of how scary and intrusive they are - are NOT harmful. I do take beta blockers when they are so bad though as I really can't stand them.

When they are really bad, I feel every single one, every couple of beats, all day long... thats when I take the beta blockers (propanolol works okish for me). Then after a few weeks, they tend to get less noticeable in my chest and throat - but they are still there.

I personally would always take the tablets now - if they help to calm them down - then why not? But its a personal choice though and if other things help you then thats brilliant.

Good luck with it all!! You're not alone...

billycat
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2007, 5:29am

Thanks to you folks for replying with your experiences. It's is nice to hear I am not alone but also to know that you can have this problem and it not need be fatal. Errm cos that is my big worry.
Thanks to all of you and best of health to you too

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:51am

Just to relay what some others have said, When I went to a&e once I had a lovely doctor and she said they do not even count it as a irregular heart beat unless you have over 20 a min constantly.

The doctor at A&E was wrong and me personally would ring and complain to his lack of bedside manner, as look at the suffering it is causing you un-necessarily, There are alot of sounds in your chest, when I lay my head on my hubbys chest I hear his heart go boomdy boom and sometimes there is so much gurgling that it does fade out the sound of his heart,  and try to think logically from a legal stand point on his behalf if he let you walk from that hospital with a fatal heart problem, he'd probably loose his job for gross misconduct (or whatever it is called in the medical world) and your family could sue big time.  I sure it's just bad wording on his behalf, theres doctors and then theres doctors, a good doctor is someone who obviously knows what he's on about or not afraid to ask for second opinion but just as important is how they deal and speak to patients, not making sweeping statements and not being very reassuring. But you ECG was fine your heart does not just act up for you, if there was a serious problem to the point it could be fatal your ecg I should imagine would show up at least a tiny sign of abnormality.  

Your stress levels are high so you are not helping yourself, your nervous when you eat so in turn irritating your digestive system which in turn makes the vagus nerve react, thats if your eating properly as we all do not feel like eating when we're really anxious.

I'm sure your heart is absolutely fine, perhaps you should go and have your thyroid and hormone levels checked, but I'm more than sure that your problem is anxiety and perhaps digestive problems.  Obviously I'm no doctor, and I'm sure RLR will put your mind at rest.

I have 3 young children aged 7, 5 and 21/2 and know exactly what your thinking, I've been there.

Hope this has helped even if just a tiny bit

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2007, 8:34pm

It's not necessarily what your doctor saw or heard, but rather what was not seen or heard that is important. The variations in heart sounds characteristic of cardiovascular problems are well known and studied. Physicians are trained extensively to recognize them. Many physicians have a lot to learn about providing patient reassurance and I very often find that when physicians themselves appear at my exam room with a complaint of symptoms, they are seeking immediate reassurance.

Your heart is fine, more by what the diagnostic tests were unable to detect than anything to do with any heart sounds that may have been detected. Auscultation via stethoscope is only a very general tool and although we are trained to recognize a multitude of heart sounds, any abnormal presentation is confirmed through diagnostic tests.

Without reservation or doubt, you can experience a wide variety of symptoms, particularly changes in heart rate and rhythm in the total absence of any disease. They are merely symptoms and will not harm you in any way. Fear has far more to do with the perpetuation of the symptoms and your vigilence toward them. Most patients misinterpret the symptoms and become convinced that it is the result of disease or an immiment cardiac event. It is simply not the case at all. The somatic features, or in other words the physical symptoms, of anxiety and other mood disorders can convince even the most rational patients that something terrible is taking place. After all, the mind comes to depend upon the body's senses to tell us when something is wrong. So when a physical symptom occurs, patients immediately associate it with physical disease since they logically conclude that symptoms precede illness and disease.

In this case, that sort of logic is flawed because of the fact that physical symptoms do not necessarily equate with physical disease.

As for experiencing "thousands," please take actual note of precisely how many events are occurring within an 8-hour period and post the information, taking note when they occur relative to meals, lying down, sleeping, etc. and also whether the events cause other symptoms to occur and what those symptoms are by description.

You're going to be just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print