Send Topic Print
AVNRT (Read 8376 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
AVNRT
Mar 05th, 2007, 7:55am

Hi there
I have just got back a copy of preliminary letter from my cardiologist to my GP. He says I am showing signs of ectopic heartbeats and AVNRT. Are these linked and particularly can AVNRT be caused by anxiety? Can it go away?
I am scared of medical intervention so much.
Thanks

IP Logged
saab

Re: AVNRT
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2007, 10:47am

Hi, just wanted to send my support and best wishes. I have got multiple ectopic heartbeats and have been told they are nothing to worry about. I don't know anything about AVNRT, but hopefully RLR will be along later to give you some support too. I know it is a kind of tachycardia (fast heart rate) and that people can have it and not have any other heart problems or disease - a young male doctor who treated me after my hysterectomy had it. I would think both things could be related and may even be caused by anxiety. I am scared of medical intervention too - I always imagine I will be the one who suffers the rare side-effect! If it is anxiety related, it may not even require medical treatment. Best wishes.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2007, 1:13pm

Atrioventricular node reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT) is a reentrant type rhythm within the atrioventricular (AV) node of the heart. A reentrant rhythm in simple terms is two distinct electrical impulses imposing the AV node, one that terminates prematurely down one path and the other traveling down a second branch and reenter the blocked pathway from the other direction. It occurs somewhat more commonly in females than in males and usually is not associated with structural heart disease.

This would be applicable in cases where resting heart rate is between 150 to 185 or so and is often accompanied by the pulse felt as a pounding sensation in the neck, sweating, palpitations, light-headedness, etc. The phenomenon can usually be terminated by using the dive reflex, which consists of placing very cold water on the face, accompanied by pressing gently inward on the eyes and holding pressure for 30 to 40 seconds. More sophisticated non-invasive methods include carotid massage, but I do not recommend this for lay persons under any circumstances and should always be performed by a health professional.

Anxiety disorders can certain increase heart rate to the extent that mild tachycardia is present and it is not unheard of for patients, particularly women more than men, to experience runs of AVNRT on occasion but not too frequently. It is, however, not typically associated with cardiovascular disease as I mentioned earlier. Instances can also self-resolve with no residual signs in many cases.

Take a breath and relax. You're going to be fine. Your fears of the need for medical intervention can go a long way to be an underlying driving force for your anxiety disorder. Your body is not going to suddenly let you down.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2007, 2:25am

Thanks for the reply RLR (and yours saab). I had tests yesterday - echocardiogram (normal - hurrah!) and treadmill test (normal - unbelievable and I am so happy!) I am feeling much more relieved after these tests came back okay. I am now wearing a seven day monitor to see how often the fast heart rate occurs. Hopefully it will be rare incidences only and just short episodes.
I am still more bothered by the feeling of the ectopics but so far they are damping down a little after yesterday (hope it lasts!)
thanks to everyone for being so reassuring
x

IP Logged
saab

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2007, 4:33am

I'm glad your test results are so positive - I hope it puts your mind at rest that there is nothing seriously wrong. Thanks for your pm - I only realised today that I had a pm, but when I tried to reply I just got an error message. I can only say that it has taken me a long time to get to where I am now with my anxiety - ie. mostly ok, but occasional spells of anxiety about my heart, but nothing compared to the paralysing anxiety of two years ago. I do see that I have basically wasted two years worrying about something that is not going to happen, but when you are in that state the anxiety comes over over you like a wave of nausea and logic cannot make it go away.

I follow Claire Weekes' advice and let it wash over me - it subsides eventually. I have put links in some of my other posts to sites that I have found helpful, but unfortunately there is no quick solution. I have found CBT exercises useful but really the only thing to do is to try to put these concerns behind you, which is much easier said than done. I would say that although I am okay, my anxiety is set off much more easily these days - lack of sleep, stress, all seem to make me susceptible, whereas a few years ago it wouldn't have made a difference. For example, I've not felt any missed beats all week - then woke up from a bad dream this morning, felt anxious, lots of missed beats. No missed beats at the moment but still feeling the residual anxiety from this morning.

All I can say is it does get better - two and a half years ago I was barely able to function, couldn't go in a supermarket without feeling panicky, could hardly speak to people, could only drive the kids to school, almost agoraphobic - now I am well on the way to being my old self again (something I thought would never happen). Let the anxiety wash over you - and as RLR often says, accept that what the doctors say is true when they say you are fine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print