Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
feeling of pressure in head (Read 10045 times)
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
feeling of pressure in head
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:37am

Hi everyone!  This may not be related to palpitations, but does anyone get feelings like something is pressing down in your head?  I am getting it a lot at the moment - I don't have a cold or anything, but it just feels like something is putting pressure on my brain, usually round the temples.  It's not a headache, though I do get sharp pains in my right temple area, which is scary.  A neurologist I saw recently (about muscle twitches) wasn't concerned about the pains (well it's not his head, is it?!).  I do worry that something is about to explode in there, especially with the pressure feelings.
On the good side, I am dealing so much better with the palpitations since the really helpful info from this site - many many thanks! Kiss  Kiss
It would help to know if anyone can identify with the pressure thing, coz it's not at all pleasant.  I get hot sensations too in my head sometimes - a rough sort of feeling with it.  Bleeding in the brain??  Panic!  I always seem to think of the worst possible reason for things, and I don't want to carry on like this.  I do hope someone can help!
Rosekay

IP Logged
Stu M

Keep Smiling :0)

Northants - UK
Re: feeling of pressure in head
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2007, 3:22pm

Hi Rosekay,

I get this a lot, and have done for years.  Never had it checked, just put it down to stress etc.

Feels like pressure just under the skull pressing down, usually lasts for a a few minutes then goes.  Also the warm feeling like hot butter trickling over your brain  Undecided  Yep, have that too!

As i said, I dont know what mine is but its not done me any harm, other than panicking me now and again.

Im sure RLR will have some ideas Smiley Hope you feel better soon.

Stu

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: feeling of pressure in head
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2007, 7:10am

Whenever pain or other sensations are felt in the head and concerns arise about whether it may be a tumor process or other serious cause, always remember that the tissues of the brain are entirely without pain sensory nerves. Most all headaches and odd sensations are the consequence of the muscle tissues and vasculature on the outside surface of the skull.

While pain does occur at some stage with space-occupying tumors of the brain, it must also be remembered that by this time, many other symptoms have arisen as well. The media tends to dramatize brain tumors as being entirely innocuous until suddenly discovered by chance. This is entirely false except the most rare of cases, which are about as likely as being struck by lightning.

An intracranial bleed brings with it fast and readily recognizable symptoms because blood is extremely caustic to the outer surfaces of tissues as a consequence of the body's response in controlling such factors. A good example is a hemorrhagic stroke, which causes bleeding into proximal tissues that affect the area of the brain responsible for things like speech, walking, vision, etc., so a stroke in your case is simply not a consideration.

The most common cause for sharp, stabbing pains or pressure sensations at the temple area is the result of tension, sometimes accompanied by changes in vision but not always. Patients sometimes describe it as a band or rope around the head being pulled taught.

The most common treatment is over-the-counter analgesics. Some physicians attempt to use muscle relaxers and while it may sometimes provide benefit, it usually makes the patient so groggy that they can't function in most cases.

You'll be fine. This is not the consequence of something growing inside your head.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print