Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR - Can I have your help please? (Read 6155 times)
agould
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

RLR - Can I have your help please?
Sep 18th, 2007, 3:53am

Hello RLR

I wondered if you mind helping me?  I posted a message on  the previous forum last year when I was having ectopic beats.  I had the diagnostic tests which all came back fine, and you reassured me that it was nothing to worry about that.  Thank you for that.  I am still having a few ectopic beats, but they don't really worry me at all anymore and I just think ' oh there's another one'.  They really have gone to the back of my mind now : )

The last time I wrote to you I was having a stressful time as our family business had collapsed and my husband was looking for work.  To cut a long story short we are now living 140 miles away from where I lived all my life. I am 36 years old. We are now living in the South of England, by the blue sea. Very lovely here, although I am far away from my friends and family.

Anyway, I have been looking for work here since we moved in January.  I did get a job, but it really wasn't for me so I left.  That was in March and I have been looking ever since.  I have been on my own in the house an awful lot while my husband is at work and feel frustrated because I don't have a job. I am looking every day and have been for several interviews but the right thing hasn't come along yet.  We have joined a local tennis club, where we have started to meet people, but this takes time.

My  health has been ok during the first part of the year although I think I have been anxious and lonely in my search for work.  Then in June this year, I started to get some discomfort in my lower left tummy.  This felt almost like something needed to be moved in my lower left side, felt like gas really I guess.  Anyway these abdominal pains have been going on for 3 months now and I have been to see my Doctor several times, and they have performed tests, such as full blood test, thyroid test, stool test, H.Pylori test, and I have had an abdominal ultrasound, upper and lower.   All these tests came back negative to my relief, but of course it hasn't solved the problem. The only thing the doctor said that came up on the ultrasound was that they could see a lot of wind in my tummy.

My symptoms at first were crampy, stabbing like pains pretty much anywhere in the abdomen, not constant and relatively mild, but at the same time upsetting for me as it makes me feel like something more sinister is wrong.  I had really quite loud stomach sounds and lots of flatulence.  My bowel movements seemed unchanged then.  However  I am still getting pinching/spasm pains in my stomach that last just a few seconds, sometimes just below my ribs on both sides, or in my midriff, or lower.  I can't really pinpoint it.  I have been having more changed bowel movements during the last 6 weeks or so.  Sometimes looser, sometimes a little on the constipated side but it is NEVER the extreme of diarrhea or constipation. There is no blood in my stools. Sometimes I will need to go a few times a day, but I do go at least once a day, nearly always with 30 minutes of waking up before breakfast. . This does seem to relieve my symptoms for part of the day until after lunch.  My doctor doesn't seem particularly worried and is 99 per cent sure that I have an irritable bowel, but as she knows I am an anxious type she will send me to see a Gastroenterologist to put my mind at rest.  

I am more or less thinking that this may be IBS, but in the absence of constipation or diarrhea, I am wondering if it still can be IBS with only mild changes to my bowel movements?  Being an anxious type of person of course I am worried it is something terrible.  I do have a first appointment with a consultant Gastroenterologist next Thursday, but am  getting myself really quite worked up about it and wondered if you could put things into perspective for me?   I am going on holiday to the States on the 29th of this month for 2 weeks and really  want to go with a clear mind and enjoy myself.  We are going to Arizona, Utah and Nevada.

In view of the negative tests I have already had done, do you think it is anything to really worry about?  Can anxiety cause mild stomach cramps/pain? It does  seem worse when I am more anxious than usual.   Is it the wind/gas in my tummy that I am super sensitive to?   If it was something terrible like cancer, would my blood tests have come back strangely? The pain never stops me doing anything because I don't want it to take over my life, but it has been there on and off every day for the last 3 months.  I keep thinking once I am more settled in my life that it will go away.    

I really hope you will reply and give me some feedback.  Many thanks for you time RLR.

Angie

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: RLR - Can I have your help please?
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2007, 4:41am

Hi Angie,

Thank you for the great detail regarding your symptoms. Under the circumstances, it's a great help. Without doubt, I believe you to be suffering from IBS, which by the way is a diagnosis of exclusion. This means that once tests have been performed to rule out the more "sinister" causes, then IBS is the diagnosis. But I don't say that just for the reasons explained. It's important to realize that things like intestinal cancer processes don't typically have variation from bad to good, but rather just get worse over time.

Many people suffering from IBS believe the cause to be something far worse because the symptoms can sometimes be very debilitating and be accompanied by fatigue and a sense of general malaise and vague illness. It can be quite frightening. You're also in the right age group for IBS to be of concern and the fact that you've undergone major change in your life fits very nicely with the prospect of this disorder being present.

Pain in the lower left quadrant, or a sensation of fullness in that area, is very diagnostic for IBS and represents one of the hallmark complaints by patients suffering with the disorder. Indeed, anxiety has been very closely associated with IBS and yes, pain, cramping and similar symptoms are very characteristic. Visceral pain from trapped gas in the lumen of the intestines and bowel is very common.

Things that can help relieve symptoms include regulation of diet in the form of eating smaller amounts at scheduled mealtime with light snacks in between if necessary. Do not drink a lot of liquids during the meal, but rather drink beverages afterward. It matters less "what" you eat moreso than how much. IBS involves the dysregulation of water at the large bowel, where reuptake occurs. Hence, the reason that loose stools or constipation are experienced, sometimes singularly or in combination.

So the answer here is to take a really deep breath and relax. You're going to be just fine. Nothing sinister taking place here and your visit with the gastroenterologist will turn out just fine with no bad news. Come on over to the states and have a great time. The weather's great.

Best regards and Good Health  

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
agould
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: RLR - Another question?
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2007, 5:39am

Hi RLR,

Thanks so much for your reassurance, it really helps.  So just to confirm will this pain go away it time? or is it with me for good?  I keep remembering a time when I didn't have this annoying pain and wondering if it will ever return?  But I did feel like that with my ectopic beats and I learned to put them to the back of my mind though.  Is this a similar thing with IBS, mind over matter?  The difference is ectopic beats for me weren't painful just frightening.

I keep hoping and am trying to remain positive in the fact that once I know everything is ok, hopefully it will subside. Do you think  this is the right approach, to try and ignore it?  I do find for instance when I play tennis that I rarely have a problem when my mind is on something else. Can your mind really be this powerful?  

So just to confirm I don't have to have extreme diarrhea or constipation for IBS to be confirmed?  All info on the internet always say it does have to be present.  I am confused about that.

Thanks so much.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks again, and I'm really looking forward to the States. It's getting chilly here now!

Best wishes,  Angie

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2007, 9:56am

As the symptoms of IBS dissipate, so will the discomfort and in order for this to happen, your anxiety and stress levels will have to subside to a large extent. IBS, while chronic in some folks, does peak at late 30s or so and goes away. In most people, the syndrome is quite temporary and when external factors change for the better, symptoms resolve.

Once again, frank diarrhea does not need to be present for a diagnosis of IBS. A change in bowel features that is not explained by other circumstances can clearly be the result of IBS. You do not have occult blood, you have discomfort in the lower left quadrant which is where the large bowel descends and you have a change in bowel characteristics with a history of recent emotional stress and lifestyle change or disruption. And by your account, your physical exam and evaluation was unremarkable otherwise. This is a constellation of symptoms that I would classify as IBS. I think you're working too hard to make the symptoms into something more serious and it's one of the greatest hurdles that people with health anxiety must overcome because they pit their own subjective feelings about the matter against medical fact. In other words, despite testing and facts to the contrary, people with health anxiety will challenge negative results rather than consider that they could be mistaken because their symptoms remain present. I spoke of this in other postings and it's a critical fact to incorporate in order to move ahead; Physical symptoms can be present in the human body without the presence of physical disease. This is an undeniable and recorded medical fact. People are trained from an early age to make the direct association between symptoms and illness or disease, a premise that is not a direct 1:1 relationship by any means. Just because you have symptoms does not mean that something is being overlooked or undiagnosed.

As for information on the internet, remember that the symptoms exist as guidelines. As physicians, we see variations that are too exhaustive to print and yet represent forms of the same syndrome, illness or disease. Again, it's important not to let this information reach you as a representation of black and white. There are subtle shades that all represent the same thing at different stages.

Again, you're going to be just fine. Sort of step back from all of this and take a look at how you're approaching it. Negative tests are negative, not an oversight. If you lack the symptoms for an oncological or other serious disease process, then you just don't have it. It only takes a visit to your local cancer ward to visit and talk with folks who have this type of cancer to realize that you're way off the mark. These folks are sick and I do mean sick. There is unexplained weight loss and other features that all must be present for the medical community to consider a cancerous process at work.

Enjoy your vacation.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
agould
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2007, 12:30pm

Hello RLR

Thank you again so much for your comments. I will try my best not to worry about my health, and concentrate on enjoying the here and now.

Many thanks,

Angie

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print