Head Lice (Read 6609 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Head Lice
Oct 02nd, 2007, 5:49am

Hi

A friend of mine has been sruggling with headlice for over a year now, her youngest daughters head is very sore and restricting treatment, her doctor won't help, now her eldest and my middle child are in the same class I shampoo and condition my girls and son's hair with tea tree and mint shampoo and conditioner and have found this to work only had them a couple of times (so far!) apparantly my friend says that this is not good for childrens hair??? Isn't it? My children have been ok so far.  A mum at the school mentioned she used cocunut oil shampoo and conditioner and her children haven't had them once! so I told my friend and she went to but some in Boots but asked the phamacist who said that this can irritate asthma? I've never heard this before, is this true?  

Sorry it's all muddley.

If anyone has any good suggestions that would be great.

Thanks

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Head Lice
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2007, 6:58am

Several issues create chronic infestation and careful attention is necessary to break the cycle.

If the child is under 6 years of age, then OTC remedies should be tried before resorting to prescription medications. Denorex extra strength dandruff shampoo has been known to be quite effective and can be used with reasonable safety on a daily basis, but should not be used in children younger than 2 years of age.

Many parents actually cause inhibition of treatment because they simultaneously take steps to protect the integrity of their child's hair by presuming that medications are harsh and will damage the hair. Do not use conditioners or shampoos following treatment and do not wash the hair for 1 or 2 days following any medical treatment of the hair to rid lice. Simply comb any knits out of the hair with a lice comb and do not re-treat the hair until sufficient time has passed for the original application to take full effect, one to two days. These medications will not damage the hair and the focus should not be upon trying to maintain the characteristics of the hair but rather to rid the head of lice. Hair is extremely resilient and can withstand a good deal of abrasiveness. Re-treat the hair and head in 1-2 days, again avoiding conditioners or shampoos following treatment. Several courses typically bring about excellent results.  

Also, clean clothing must be used after treatment, all bedding must be changed and floors vacuumed, etc. All children in the same household should be treated if contact is frequent, ie similar aged children who play together or sleep in the same room, etc.

Care should be taken to allow sores on the scalp to heal and discourage scratching.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:12am

Hi there
As a mum also struggling with thsi problem I really understand this one. As far as I can tell it is RIFE in my child's class. Some parents there are clearly not checking their children. I think some of it is down to irritating school ground myths about head lice. I have heard some parents talking a load of rubbish about how to get them. And people who find them in their child's hair but decide they will wait till the weekend to treat their kids.

As far as I can tell you can't stop your child getting them because they are all over primary schools, but there are safe and gentle ways of stopping the spread. I have tried over the counter medications and they do work but none of us wants to repeatedly but what is effectively a pesticide on our child's head. I have read up on this on some really good websites that bust all the myths that so many parents at school have.

Loads of people think that head lice can jump but they actually have to crawl from one childs head to another. They can't jump or leap. But they could travel from clothing or bedding to their head - but actually they actually don't survive very long without their host to drink and feed from. YYUUKKK!

My little boy brought them home three times before Christmas last year. First time I tried chemicals, then the second time and after that I have gone for the non medical solution which has worked and he has remained clear till now.

What I've found the most effective and gentle of all is to get into a twice weekly or at least Friday night routine of using their normal shampoo, followed by any conditioner of your choice, and comb it through using a knit comb. There is a brilliant one in sainsburys with really long teeth that gets the live bugs and the eggs (it's really good). You will know the bugs if you see them they are fairly noticeable if you keep wiping the comb and conditioner on a piece of kitchen towel. apart from a nit comb you don't need any special potions at all.

If there are no bugs there then fine, you can leave it till your next weekly check. If you do find a bug or (yikes) several though, and this is the really important bit, you need to repeat this whole process every other night for two weeks and the cycle will be broken and the child will be clear.

You also need to check all your other kids the same night and any adults in the household.

This method is recommended as long as it is done diligently, and far from giving your child bad hair, it will result in amazingly conditioned shiney healthy hair. There are lots of 'natural' products out there but none are scientifically proven. As ever lavendar and tea tree seem to be the oils that everyone recommends so you could add a drop to the conditioner you are using.

This website gives some facts you may or not be aware of...
http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/ng/index.jsp?page=/displayArticle.jsp&sectionCode=factsoflice

hope this helps.
Bead

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2007, 2:16pm

Hi

Thanks RLR and Bead,

I have been very fortunate, as I use the Tea Tree and Mint Shampoo and Conditioner every other night, (When I wash their hair) but I use this as a preventative rather than cure and have found Full Marks to be very effective.

Problem with my friends girls who are 2 and 5 they do not like having their hairs washed well I think the oldest isn't too bad actually, but the youngest hates it and my friend has not left the lotions on long enough as her youngest complains that it burns or something, so she washes it off, unfortunately her children are obviously just prone to them and like you say some parents just can't be bothered which is extremely frustrating, and due to the human rights act Nit Nurses aren't allowed anymore!!!!! How ridiculus!  But fortunately my girls and my son haven't had it much at all really (Fingers Crossed) but I'm not sure if thats because I use the Teatree Shampoo and Conditioner or because I always put their hair up and maybe their just lucky! My friend won't use Tea Tree on her girls heads because it makes her head tingle and worries about the reaction it will have on her hair, but unfortunately her youngest head is so sore and scabbed now because of her itching, that she can not use strong treatments on sores.

Apparantly Mayonaise is meant to work, you are suppose to rub it right in put a shower cap on and leave over night and they are apparently intolerant to this, but she won't do this either as her daughter wouldn't wear a shower cap overnight, which I suppose my daughter wouldn't have at 2.

Anyway thank you both for the advice and I shall have a look at the link and forward it to my friend

Thanks again

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:51am

Yes, obviously tying hair back is going to help - I have boys and my eldest who seems to have an invested group of classmates - I keep his hair short and tidy. And have actually told him not to play heads touching because that is how they are spread.

I've got a feeling girls play more closely and are more prone. Have you tried the original source tea tree shampoo and conditioner. That's quite good value and it's got lots of tea tree in it. Although it may be too strong for children - it makes my eyes water!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print