Ectopics runs (Read 6421 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Ectopics runs
Oct 08th, 2007, 5:10am

Hi there
Wondered if anyone has noticed this...
Going upside down... I went to the dentist today for a check up and as soon as the chair went back so I was upside down the palpitations hit. A run of quite violent ectopics that took a minute or so to settle down. why is it that when you go upside down you get ectopics? I used to find this when I did yoga that involved having your legs above heart level. Is there a reason for this? This is the kind of thing that freaks me out because I wonder if my heart is not coping with changes in blood flow properly when my body changes position.

Help or advice please!

bead

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Ectopics runs
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2007, 6:38am

This is due to the change in effects from gravity and how it affects pressure from your internal organs against the diaphragm, GI tract, etc., particularly when there is trapped air in the lumen of the intestines, etc. or stomach. This combination can easily trigger the Vagus nerve into stimulating the heart and subsequently, palpitations occur. This is an especially predictable situtation because most folks are also quite anxious when visiting either their doctor or dentist.

Nothing to worry about at all.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2007, 7:36am

Hi there
thanks - but I am worrying now because the ectopics have been virtually constant all afternoon - and my BP is 140 /70. that is high isn't it. particularly for me - how can this happen? Is this kind of variation normal

bead

IP Logged
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2007, 10:10am

Hi Bead,
my ectopics are very often triggered by position.
When I used to exercise, I did one that put my heart lower than my legs & it always triggered irregular beats.
RLR explained it well.
Your BP might be up slightly because you're feeling anxious but I don't think it's particularly high.
I've had a bad day with ectopics today too! Must be something in the air!
Hope you feel better,
love Seffie xx

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2007, 11:06am

The blood pressure you posted is not high in the very least. Typically, when stress is elevated your systolic pressure will be elevated as well. We often see this with a phenomenon known as "white-coat hypertension" and results from the stress of visiting the doctor. I see nothing here that warrants concern of any kind.

I also believe Kathryn had a similar experience to yours some time back and you might want to share notes with her.

Again, nothing here that I would be concerned about.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
saab

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2007, 9:25am

My usual blood pressure is around 130/80 - my gp doesn't consider that high.

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2007, 2:14am

Hi

I generally get them on bending over, can't say I've noticed them on being upside down, but then I do not make a habit of being upside down.  Being at the dentist can make you anxious, and I have found I have to ask for a non adrenerline based anesetic (sorry spellings awful) otherwise I feel really anxious and get very shaky.

I'm sure you've had a bad afternoon due to the fact you had the bad bought of eptopics, and it's made you anxious.

Hope your feeling better now.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print