Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
does anyone else experience this? (Read 11947 times)
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

does anyone else experience this?
Oct 08th, 2007, 10:04am

Hi,
ectopics have been bad again for afew days but this seemed to coincide with my hormones (mid-cycle) & also worse after eating, for some reason they seem to kick in about 40 mins after I've eaten but only if I'm doing nothing, if I'm walking around it's OK.

However, this morning I had to get up at 5.30am to drive to the airport & I am always anxious about driving to & from the airport. Before we left I suddenly had a horrible sensation that I couldn't breathe in, like smothering, which triggered an adrenaline rush which of course triggered ectopics.

So I had about an hour of feeling anxious & my heart skipping & thudding etc & it has felt 'sensitive' all day. What's worrying me is when I'm getting quite a run of these it doesn't just feel like a
'beat-pause-thud', my heartbeat feels almost grating as though the heart isn't pumping properly, kind of scratchy?!
It's really hard to describe, it's not painful but just feels unpleasant, even the regular beats inbetween don't feel normal.
Just wondered if anyone else gets this.
I also worry that when I'm anxious the anxiety will cause my heart to beat so erratically that it becomes dangerous. I was just sitting talking to my MIL for an hour & it was beating all over the place-not that my MIL is scary!! Just that I was getting them & feeling anxious about having them whilst trying to hold a normal conversation.
Keep thinking maybe I should give the betablockers another try but I still got them while I was taking them & I didn't like the 'muffled' palpitations sensation.
Just had a horrible few days with them & struggling to cope. I had been doing really well just trying to accept them but when you're fetting about 5-10 a minute it's really hard.
Thanks guys.
Seffie xx

IP Logged
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: does anyone else experience this?
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2007, 10:06am

obviously for 'fetting' read 'getting'!!
Sxx

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2007, 10:57am

hello
I understand - I am having a horrible day today for no reason. My heart just doesn't feel normal. I know the sensation you are describing, sometimes my heart feels leaden even between the ectopics. And it feels very uncomfortable with it.

And I understand your worry that something bad is going to happen. I am having all that today.

x

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2007, 11:00am

Weird - just re-read your post and I have had difficulties after eating for quite a few months but it died down, but it has started up again this past week.

And weirder - I am mid-cycle and these ectopics and faster than average heartbeat is at its worst these past couple of days. I am going to track this mid cycle phenomenon.

IP Logged
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2007, 3:04am

Hi Bead,
thanks for replying! Sorry you're having a bad time with palps too.
I am officialy(!) going through the peri-menopause & have been, I think, for about 3 years which also coincides with when the palpitations took off big time.
I have had them on & off since I was in my late 20's but never as bad as they are now. I have found that they are much worse before & during my period then I might get afew better days then they're bad again kind of mid-cycle then they seem to ease off again. Some of the worst days I've had have been the day my period started so there just has to be a strong hormonal link. I am also a member of a menopause site & lots of women on there find that they get palps for the first time during peri & that they also coincide with mid & end cycle.
Having said all that I think that you're quite abit younger than me so probably not in peri! but I know that these other women have said that in the past eg: post pregnancy or in their 30's, their hormone fluctuations seemed to trigger palps so that' could also be happening for you. Not sure why, I think maybe the fluctuating hormones have an irritating effect on the vagus nerve, maybe RLR knows about this.
I'm really hoping that when I'm through menopause they'll settle down but I think that also depends on how I react to them.
Hope you're having a better day today!
love Seffie xx

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2007, 3:56am

Well done for being able to carry on with your conversation with your MIL.  When mine start and i'm talking i get a surge of adrenaline and get really light headed and find that i have to stop speaking until they go off.  I know i should just try and carry on but they scare me and i can't help it.x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2007, 9:45am

Hi Angie,
it helps that my MIL has experienced palps herself-although hers were more racing & pounding not ectopics so I was able to tell her that they were bad, but because the BB's worked for her she thinks I should take them too.
To be honest they are so bad at the moment that I'm thinking about going back on them, it's just that I felt so horrible on them & couldn't wait to stop taking them & I don't want to feel like that again.
I know that it's the fear of them that makes them worse but today I can't sit still or rest with them as they're more noticeable then. Even when I'm not getting the ectopics beats my heart just doesn't feel like it's beating normally, kind of uncomfortable & irritated.
So fed up of these today.
Hope you're starting to feel a little better Angie after everything you've been through.
love Seffie xx

IP Logged
saab

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2007, 9:32am

It sounds a bit like a panic attack - not surprising, probably tired and having to drive to the airport at the crack of dawn. It does sound like I often felt when I first had ectopics. Although panic can make your heart beat faster, I don't think it can make it beat dangerously fast - your heart can baet very fast for quite a while without doing any harm.

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2007, 2:34am

I do feel that palpitations can and often are part of a panic attack. But I do notice when they are not part of a panic attack. It tends to be more of a fast heartbeat than ectopics - but then both can come together which is possibly the most scariest ever feeling when my heart seems to go into a complete weird episode, then I can't even breathe very well because my breathing seems to go all shuddery.

But having said that, panic attacks can and do take on different forms, so sometimes we may be having panic attacks or high level anxiety episodes that are catching us unawares. I know panic attacks are said to only last 10 mins but personally I don't believe that information as I have definitely had terrifying episodes that have gone on for up to an hour, and then you are left with anxiety so high it may as well be a panic attack as you can't really function normally for hours or days at a time.

So maybe it's just all part and parcel.

x

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2007, 2:42am

Hi all,

I've had this lots of times, I keep a diary and my weird heatbeats if you like, normally coincide with certain points in my cycle.  

In the lead up to your cycle, your hormones obviously change and can make you more anxious than normal I do not know the scientific reason why, this I have noticed personally can happen around ovulation as well.

I get all sorts of weird beats, the one you are describing is the type I get most, not as such a missed beat but more like your heart didin't beat properly? the scratchy feeling I get too sometimes, recently if I exert myself with rushing about I get a tight pause which momentarily aches.  You need to remember what RLR said about the telephone call and where and when the extra beat hits your heart and which part of the beat your heart is in at the precise time, if that makes sense, I do not have the scientific reasons, but it makes sense, I generally visualise my heart and a nerve going up to it.  

It is all down to stress and anxiety you have worked yourself up, not being able to breath is a classic symptom of anxiety, Unfortunately, there is not much you can do except ride the storm, make sure you eat little and often,  sit whilst eating and do not get up straight after eating, drink plenty of fluids and get enough sleep, these will help reduce the anxiety.

For example, I have been having wierd sensations in my chest recently, like my hearts swolen, so every time I breath in it feels full and I can really feel my heart, also been having quite a few ectopics, but then I could completly freak, or think well I'm having the kitchen done, I had no running water for 4 days all my kitchen stuff was in boxes in my lounge and as a result the whole house looks like world war 3! but I still have to continue as normal, getting children to school, washing etc.. We've only just started eating home cooked food and was living on take aways, Occasionally a nice home cooked meal at my mums, but eating rubbish and late to some nights, I got my period yesterday, I am now the Secretary of the PTA and just been made Chair of my governing commitee, 1/2 term is next week and I'm due to go back to work P/T after 1/2 term, My bathroom still need's it's finishing touches, and during this time some plaster has blown in my hall so that's going to need doing.  Oh and not forgeting my 3 year old broke her forearm on Sunday.   Sometimes when we feel bad we need to sit back and think what is going on in my life right now, it takes time but you will start to recognise your weak points, or notice sooner when you are getting up tight.  We are not super human, and sometimes it feels as though that is expected of us, and we try to keep everybody happy and get everything done, but sometimes this just is not possible!

But ask RLR this time a year or so back I wouldn't have felt I could do any of the above.

Hope your feeling better now.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2007, 10:17am

Hi Kath,
thanks for your reply. I went for my therapy session last week-I'm doing Reverse Therapy mainly for my CFS symptoms but we're also now working on the anxiety stuff as it's all related. Anyway we discussed the palps & I felt abit better then later that same day I went to see my doctor as I really needed some reassurance, which I got. After that they really calmed down again which kind of proved to me how much they are made worse by anxiety etc.

Talking to my therapist about it made me realise that I create the physical symptoms of anxiety by how I think & react to life, I always used to think 'if I didn't get this symptom or that symptom then I wouldn't feel anxious' but I realise that it's really the other way around. My brain has become wired to react in a fearful way to certain symptoms & situations. It's just quite hard to change the way you think & react to things!

I think it's just that sometimes it seems as though the palps change in frequency & in how they feel & this can make you all anxious again. Does anyone else find this? That you can get palps that feel different?

Sorry that you have so much stress going on in your life right now-I remember when my son was only 3 we had a lot of building work going on & I had no kitchen & no running water downstairs for weeks & we had to go & eat at my parents every evening. It wasn't much fun but you soon forget about it when it's all done. You are doing well to cope with so many commitments, just remember to get some of that elusive 'me time'!!
Thanks again!
love Seffie xx

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2007, 12:19am

Hi

I had to do that, change the way you react and think, it's quite difficult, but it comes in time.

I will definately be having some me time! but with the commitments I'm thriving on them at the moment, keeps me busy!

Thanks, and I'm glad your therapy is helping  Smiley It's well worth doing.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2007, 1:35am

Hi Seffie
Yes, my palpitations sometimes feel different too. they can do all sorts of weird things - but I am hoping that essentially they are all the same thing. I get worried though because sometimes they are ectopics and sometimes they are racing heart episodes. Oh I am still finding them hard to get used to
bead x

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print