Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Had the results from my allergy test. (Read 6506 times)
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Had the results from my allergy test.
Oct 16th, 2007, 9:43am

I have picked up my results today from the allergy test i had done, they send off a piece of your hair!
Well here goes:
NUTS
DIARY PRODUCTS
SUGAR
CHOCOLATE
CUCUMBER
LEEKS
MUSHROOMS
ONION
PEPPERS
CRISPS
TOMATOES
BANANAS
GRAPEFRUIT
GRAPES
LEMON
MANDARIN
NECTARINE
ORANGE
PEAR
SATSUMA
STRAWBERRY
TANGERINE
BACON
BEEF
CHICKEN SKIN
LAMB
PORK
WHITE RICE
WHEAT PRODUCTS
PASTA
CHIVES
SALT
SESAME SEEDS
SUGARY/FIZZY POP
COFFEE
COCOA
STRONG TEA AND COFFEE
MILSHAKES
ICE CREAM
PROPANE GAS
AEROSOLS
TRAFFIC FUMES
ANIMAL COATES
FEATHERS
HOUSE MITE
DUST AND FRAGMENTS
NYLON
WOOL
GRASSES/HAY
NICOTINE
YEAST
COSMETIC SMELLS
ALL ALCOHOL
POT PLANTS
CUT FLOWERS
M.S.G.(621)
BIO WASH
BLEACH
CLEANERS AND POLISH
ELECTRICITY PYLONS
TELEVISION SCREENS
FLOURESCENT LIGHTS
So there you go, i knew about the diary - well i suspected - but the rest has really surprised me no end.  A lot of stuff on there i love, like, mushrooms and pasta, and i am gutted about them really.  But they go on a percentage of 0% - 100% and there are quite a few that are up to 50% and then just a minimal amount above that so i don't suppose i am that concerned.  However it is quite high for the wheat products and i do love my bread and that so now what do i do? lol.
At least i know now, perhaps if i cut a few out i will feel better hey.x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Had the results from my allergy test.
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2007, 3:39am

Hi angie baby
I hope they give you information on how to try eliminating foods from your diet. It is really good to see you are taking positive steps to getting well - with you all the way!

I must admit, personally, I am highly sceptical of this. I don't know how they can tell any of this from looking at a strand of hair. I don't even know if that is scientific - how do they know what you have eaten on a particular day in relation to a strand of hair?

anyway, if YOU yourself think that certain products make you feel less full of energy than you would otherwise feel, then it is worth replacing them with a sensible healthy alternative for a while to see if it makes a positive difference.

It is worth looking into things but proper food allergies are quite rare actually, people are always going on about being lactose intolerant, but actually this is not all that common. And someone once said to me, you don't hear about people being lactose intolerant in Africa. Or countries where they don't get enough to eat.

so don't worry unduly about it all, but try things out slowly and well, I guess, you never know.

Best of luck
bead

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2007, 1:59pm

Hi bead, nope i'm not worried and not going mad!  Lol.
I am not surprised by the lactose intolerance at all, thought i had that for a while and always am more dizzy the day after i have cheese.  However, i never thought about wheat/gluten, but i suppose it could make sense.  The side effects for this can be palpatations and dizziness.  I am not reading too much into it and have eaten the same stuff as before.  However i must state that today i have had an egg for breakfast and a hot chocolate with some sugar - don't have that very often, and for my tea i had noodles and rice - but without the MSG E621 or whatever it is, lol.  And now i have a headache although i must confess i had the headache before i had my tea.  So maybe the diary and chocolate and sugar is right too.  Also been very dizzy too.  I don't have many eggs, you are allowed two a week, i am lucky if i have two a month.  And as for the hot chocolate, normally i only have this as a feel good drink, to pick me up.  We shall see anyway.x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2007, 12:29am

Hi there
Well it is interesting to watch out for isn't it?
I have read two very interesting books called Optimum Nutrition for the mind and one on Superfoods. Not all of the books are relevant eg. there is a big chapter on depression. Now you may not be depressed but conventional doctors link anxiety and depression (they treat it the same way with antidepressants to improve serotonin uptake in the brain). Well there is a lot of information in these books on improving your serotonin levels through good and sensible nutrition. Also information on the food that contain the vitamin that converts to serotonin (long name that I can't remember). Also both books give a lot of info on foods that are calming which our nervous systems need. Lots of people depend on caffeine to pick them up but I have to say i never need a pick up - always the opposite! eg. A turkey sandwich on wholemeal bread is supposed to be very calming - it ticks all the boxes, high in protein, turkey contains something really good, and if you use a spread with added omega oils (also good for the brain) you are winning with nutrition. Warm milk is also good - better than cold. Presumably why they gives babies warm milk to make them sleep.

also there is a lot of evidence to show that eating processed sugary foods is bad for people with panic and anxiety because it encourages adrenaline to be released - something to do with insulin levels fluctuating in a normal person. All hormones are related, I seem to think. So sugary foods may be something to limit in any case (sensible for everyone anyway.) There is a lot of stuff about making sure that if you do have something sugary you try to have something high in protein to slow down the release of sugar into the blood stream.

RLR may poo-poo all this but I have definitely found a link between sugar and panic attacks. If I eat chocolate or eat sugary stuff on an empty stomach because I have got really hungry - I get quite shakey and odd. I can't say I don't eat chocolate now but I save it for after meals not as a snack!

If you want more info I can dig out the full titles of these books for you.

bead x

IP Logged
billycat

England
Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 3:15pm

Good Grief!! How do they expect you to live? It looks to me like you'll have to start eating fresh air and wrap yourself in bubblewrap in order to stay allergen free!!

Sorry to be sarcastic - but blimey!! I've often fancied having allergy testing done - but if the results come back anything like yours I don't know what I'd do! I don't have the will power to stick to a simple diet let alone give up that huge list of items...!

You'll have to let us know if you feel any benefit from eliminating any of those things.

Good luck, billycat x

billycat
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print