Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heart worries (Mitral valve regurgitation) (Read 6788 times)
Zarion
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Heart worries (Mitral valve regurgitation)
Oct 25th, 2007, 7:38am

A couple months ago, I had a significant run of what I would later learn to be ectopic beats. After noticing pronounced thumps and a very erratic pulse, with numerous missed beats, which carried on for several hours, I went to the hospital and was admitted into emergency. I was hooked up to cardiac monitors, had multiple EKGs, complete blood count, kidney, liver, heart enzyme, and thyroid profiles. I ended up spending the night there, actually. I was informed, afterwards, that I'd had ectopic beats, which were in and of themselves, harmless, but since (in the words of the Cardiologist) they were 'very rapid, and a LOT of them', I was put on 25mg of Metoprolol twice daily, and further tests were ordered.
 I was quite concerned about the echotopic beats for a long time, but that's mostly settled down in recent weeks, and I've grown to (somewhat) accept them as a normal, harmless thing. Although, I haven't had a serious episode since that time I was in the hospital, either. I might still find that quite alarming if that happened again. What could cause TWO (I had one earlier that I didn't go to the hospital for) major, pronounced ectopic incidents all of a sudden and then just 'go away'?
 Anything, it's now several months later and I've had a stress test (which came back fine) and an echocardiogram. I just got the results from the echo back earlier today. On the face of it, the results seem good. The doctor told me that everything looks fine, and that she's going to reduce my Metoprolol dosage. However, when she read out the full echo report, there was something I found a bit startling in it.
 She said that it showed mild mitral valve regurgitation, trivial something or other (I didn't hear exactly what, but it involved something cuspid-related), and an ejection fraction of either 64% or 67% (I can't remember which). It sounded fine at the time, but when I got home and did some research on mitral valve regurgitation (for my own scientific curiosity, and not because I thought it was dangerous), I discovered that it is alarmingly associated with heart degradation over time. It sounds a lot more serious than the doctor made it out to be (where it was a tossed-off remark)
 I HAVE noticed myself, over these last few months, feeling winded more quickly from physical exertion than I would expect. I can perspire after even a brief walk, and feel like flopping in the chair when I get home. Apparently, increased physical exhaustion is associated with problems with mitral valve regurgitation, and I HAD been concerned about my seeming increase in physical exhaustion even before these results were read to me. Is this something I should be concerned about? I realize I may be overreacting, but it is worrisome to be told that you indeed DO have something in your heart which can be of potential future concern...
 Also, a few other symptoms over the past few months that I've felt concerned about: I can often feel my heartbeat at night, when I'm lying on the bed, and for some periods of time I can feel 'fluttery' beats, where it feels as though several weak beats were happening within a split-second of each other. However, when I check my pulse, I observe no obvious irregularities during this. Also, sometimes my pulse appears to suddenly speed up, and then slow down. Something like jumping from 60 bpm to 85 or so nearly immediately, staying that way for 15 seconds, perhaps, and then returning to 60-ish just as suddenly. There are a few others, but I think I'll stop here. I look forward to a response.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Heart worries (Mitral valve regurgitation)
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2007, 8:36am

Okay, take a deep breath and relax. I see nothing in your test results as described that should cause you to be alarmed in any manner. Your ejection fraction is fine and the reason that the mitral regurgitation was tossed aside was that it is a very common presentation in many people. Mild regurgitation is something we see frequently and care should be taken when reviewing online literature concerning this issue. Your situation is not the degree or characterization of mitral valve degredation that causes the type of problems you refer to in your posting. Your heart will be fine.

Many persons can feel their heartbeat when lying down. When blood pressure first drops as a consequence of lying down for sleep, the body's sensors initially react to try and compensate and the result is increased cardiac force to raise blood pressure. This can be felt as momentary pounding heart and does not represent an increased demand on the heart, nor does it indicate insufficiency of any type. Sedentary lifestyles can increase the time necessary for the body to adjust to workload circumstances and many persons feel "winded" under circumstances that they feel should not warrant the case. Improving conditioning and stamina through regular exercise will diminish the winded sensation.

Changes in pulse vary with circumstances and if you are experiencing stress or anxiety, increases in adrenaline can produce rapid changes in pulse. The type of variation you speak of does not suggest it to be the consequence of cardiopathology of any type and your stress test and other diagnostic criteria as described certainly support the case.

You're going to be just fine. Eat healthy and exercise regularly. Your heart will do its job for many, many years to come and the mild regurgitation is of no consequence in your instance.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Zarion
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2007, 1:40pm

Thanks for your quick reply. I AM trying to let go and stop worrying about my heart. It's been a rough couple of months for me, with the various hospital trips, and time spent waiting on results.

However, I think I may have poorly explained my concern with regards to feeling my heartbeat while lying down. It's not the actual perception of it that concerns me, and in fact, I can feel it for prolonged lengths of time, even sitting up, or sometimes while standing, if I remain still and aren't actively involved in anything else. It's the fact that sometimes these beats feel 'fluttery', as though it wasn't a series of single, clear beats, but instead a bunch of 'mini-beats' clustered together. This seems to have happened particularly is I take my second dosage of metoprolol very shortly before I attempt to go to sleep. Maybe the medication has something to do with it?

Also, with regards to my physical activity, while I am by no means athletic, I think to do incorporate a reasonable amount of physical exercise into my routine. I get a 5 km walk just about every weekday, and generally cover that distance in less than an hour. Yet, despite doing so for quite some time now, I don't find myself feeling more fit for it. In fact, I tend to arrive home more sweaty and winded than I might have 6 months ago. Could such a decrease in perception of fitness, theoretically, be due to such a heart-related problem as described? Or some other issue? I certainly maintain a brisker pace than most people while out walking, but nevertheless I feel less fit from my own frame of reference.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm a 23 year old male. While it's likely irrelevant since there's probably no problem to diagnose, I meant to include it initially, as it's among the usual battery of medical information one provides.

Finally, I read that mitral valve regurgitation is generally caused by SOMETHING inflicting minor damage on the valve. There's probably no easy way to tell, I suppose. Can especially vigorous exercise risk exacerbating the problem? Are there any other 'risky' things of which I should be aware?

I'm sorry if I'm bugging you with follow-up questions.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2007, 5:13am

The sensation of skipped beats or fluttery sensations has to do with stimulation of the heart by the Vagus nerve. The Vagus nerve is activated by the parasympathetic nervous system and in this instance, responsible for slowing the heart rate subsequent to increased activity by the sympathetic nervous system in response to a fearful or stressful event. The Vagus nerve also innervates the GI tract as the gastric nerve and in cases where anxiety or tension is present that disturbs the GI tract, sensory impulses can be sent inappropriately along the Vagus nerve tract. When this signal reaches the heart it is superimposed upon the normal heart beat. You sense this as a flutter or thump, depending upon precisely when the signal is imposed during the cardiac cycle. The signals are typically erractic in nature as well and persons can experience a range of sensations. So while simply lying down can cause changes in physiology necessary to produce palpitations, disturbances to the Vagus nerve can also bring about similar consequences. The reason that the GI tract can cause palpitations is primarily due to the fact that if air is trapped in the upper GI tract, it is influenced by a change in body position and begins pressing against the diaphragm and can cause stimulation of the Vagus nerve. A change in body position will usually interrupt the sequence.

The main point to remember is that these disturbances are entirely harmless. They will never damage your heart or cause you to suffer any type of cardiac event. As I've told other visitors to the site, in over 40 years of practice, I've never once even heard of a person suffering any type of cardiovascular event as a consequence of benign palpitations.

Depending upon how long you've been taking the Metoprolol, you have to realize that this medication is a beta blocker that, among other therapeutic effects, reduces cardiac force. In periods of exertion, the body will reach the threshold of exhaustion quicker because the medication is restricting the heart from reaching maximum potential. As a result, patients under such therapy can feel winded. The body also begins to produce perspiration earlier. You can certainly discuss any unwanted or undesirable effects with your primary care physican to determine if dose adjustment will reduce the effects. You should also be aware that GI upset is a common side-effect of beta blocker medications. Sometimes taking the medication with food reduces the effect and in some cases tolerability is increased with continued treatment. In some cases, however, intolerability in this regard necessitates changing medications to another class in order to avoid the undesired side effects.  

Finally, the sort of damge to cardiac valves we typically see are the consequence of certain infections and diseases which cause calcification of the valves, typically the tricuspid, which results in decreased viability that ranges from regurgitation to total valve insufficiency which requires surgical intervention to replace the valve entirely.

I have to tell you here that despite having no familiarty with your medical history, I seriously doubt that you fall into this category because there are a number of symptoms that must accompany this condition for it to represent the kind of pathology we're speaking of here and since you make no mention of any of these symptoms, which all such patients do in one form or another, then there's no reason to consider it. Additionally, the condition would have readily made itself prominent on the treadmill stress test and the echocardiogram would have shown signs of calcified valves. Nothing to worry about in your case.

Exercise and strenuous activity does not increase the chances of cardiac events in the presence of benign palpitations.

To sum things up, the ectopic presentation is harmless. It may vary from time to time, even dissipate altogether. It will not cause you any physical harm.

IP Logged
Zarion
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2007, 6:55am

Thanks again for the prompt reply. I apologize for taking so long to acknowledge it. It's nice to know that you don't consider me to be at even passing risk at the moment. I am trying to take what you have said to heart, and I may be making some progress, but unfortunately I am discovering that if one feels enough anxiety about something, it can be difficult to accept such reassurance. For every 'you're ok' I get, a 'yes, but what if...?' seems to raise it's ugly head. Sure, mild regurgitation is of no inherent consequence, but what if mine is only mild because it's very new, and is in fact progressing dangerously fast, but they only caught the beginnings of it on the echo, over a month ago? That sort of thing.
  I guess if you've been scaring yourself over something for a long time (and I have been worrying about this, to lesser or greater degrees for 3 months now), it can be difficult to release that and just accept that you're healthy. I'm so used to being on alert for any 'danger signs', and the problem is, I do find them, or at least find what I WORRY could be danger signs. Intermittent shooting and throbbing pains in my chest, for example, which I indeed DO feel, whatever their cause might be. Of course, they're probably not strong enough to represent anything to worry about, and one's chest can feel pain for any number of non-cardiac reasons, but I tend to spin wild scenarios out of them, like 'maybe these sensations are stress or damage to that valve, and it's continuing to worsen'.
  I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to turn into such a long litany of complaints. I guess it's been a stressful morning for me. I meant to thank you for taking time to address my initial concerns. It must be a bit of a thankless job at times, when people don't seem all that reassured by reassurance, and for that I apologize. I'm doing what I can at the moment to let go of my anxiety. Hopefully I'll be able to come to terms with it sooner, rather than later.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2007, 9:34am

Well, your candid thoughts are appreciated and it would be wise for you to read your posting from the standpoint of the anxiety that it represents and how it has historically affected your lifestyle. Many persons with intense anxiety in reality have constant sensations that they have no control over much of their life, as if many situations are out of their reach of influence. Self-confidence and self-image are usually affected greatly and lifestyle in general is grossly restricted in ways such as decreasing the circle within which travel and adventure is gambled. There is oftentimes a lot of rumination or repetitive thoughts about what lies just ahead with regard to social and occupational undertakings. This anxiety is typically discharged by conducting life in a very ritualistic pattern, no matter how slight, to also include avoidance of situations which are perceived to increase anxiety.

An important characteristic of anxiety disorder is relegation to the moving target syndrome. In other words, if a point of authority confirms your worries to be irrational by demonstrating undeniable facts to the contrary, the anxious person is compelled to think "yes, but what if that's not the exact case for me? What if I'm somehow different? What if something has been overlooked and will be discovered only when it's too late?" And if all facts become overwhelmingly contrary to what the anxious person believes, then they settle upon a new target altogether; "I don't think it's my heart any longer . . . .I've noticed headaches and trembling in my arms and my vision is blurred . . . I've read where those are signs of a brain tumor . . "

Anxiety disorder is a puzzle whose individual pieces have been forged by life experiences over time that have produced erroneous beliefs or perceptions, which the person affected has come to rely upon over and above all evidence to the contrary. Humans are naturally and sometimes overwhelmingly influenced by cause & effect thinking. While the most evident and irrational examples of this phenomenon would be raindances or something similar, many people conjure far more subtle relationships between events and circumstances that they don't realize are faulty. The mind will tend to accept these subtle premises and before long, begin changing the way they interact with the environment and people around them. So let's use a subtle premise by example to demonstrate how this phenomenon exerts its influence on almost everyone:

If a person eats a meal and becomes extremely sick to their stomach, suffering a rather traumatic experience, they might associate the effect with the food and make a vow never to eat it again. The effect might have been the food, but might also have been salmonella poisoning, the person might have contract an intestinal virus at roughly the same time, or the problem might have been with the beverage they were drinking with the meal, etc. and there might have been absolutely no problem with the suspected meal at all. Does that make sense? People only have their immediate experience with with to develop perspectives and sometimes these perspectives can be entirely false in nature, but yet cause tremendous influence over future similar circumstances. So we can take this small, quaint example and extrapolate it to other countless events in one's life over time to see the dramatic potential for misperceptions to form that can avidly affect the way a person thinks and acts. In other words, aside from the meal example, if a person had been exposed to an environment of great unpredictability, say within a home where rules changed constantly and where dependability was erractic, where blame was imposed for errors that were actually part of the natural learning curve for all persons, then the affected person might begin to try and anticipate their environment far ahead of actual occurance because the consequences represented emotional discomfort and inability to exert influence before it was too late.

Not that this example is intended to suggest it is representative of your difficulty at all, but merely to demonstrate how persons with anxiety suddenly find themselves very deep into life patterns that have changed the way in which they live, without the ability to pinpoint the cause which may have occurred many years ago with far more subtlety and insiginficance. Anxiety is largely a disorder that grows slowly over time, whose origins may consist of many small and insigificant trials that have grown over time in the way of avoidances and anticipations to preempt their reoccurance. Make sense?

We'll talk more. Your heart valves are fine. The diagnostic tests do not miss anything like that, nor do they overlook an early process that may grow sinister.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print