Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My father in laws funeral today (Read 5597 times)
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
My father in laws funeral today
Nov 12th, 2007, 10:25am

Well, it was today and i went! But i could not go in his house and i drove my own car, hubby and boys went in one of the cars, daughter stayed with me. I followed the cars to the crem and parked up, but then my legs went and i couldn't get out of the car. I only buried my dad 5 weeks ago and i just couldn't get out. My daughter went in to the others and i stayed in the car and waited. I felt guilty, but at least i went, didn't think i would have managed that really.
The service was only about half an hour and then i drove us to the wake. I managed to go in and we stayed all afternoon, 3 hours. I did well, but i didn't feel well at all. I was constantly worried that i would collapse, faint and die the whole time. It was awful, i couldn't eat a thing, just kept drinking tea. My hubby did well and the kids were great, stayed by me, bless. I got through it without breaking down, on the outside, but felt such a wreck. Had severe waves of symtoms which was nasty, but i am back home and i survived, just. I am glad that i went, for dad and my family, but everything is just so hard for me at the moment. I am not coping with just living never mind anything else. My symptoms are very severe in all cases and just feel like i can't face another day like this. Nothing makes me feel better, just feel so ill all the time and can't do the 'accept and float' over it bit even though i try like crazy. I have tried to accept the unreality and dizziness, feeling like i am going to faint and die, my ears going funny and making the fear of fainting worse, the fast heart beat and ectopics, but things don't seem to improve, they have just got worse. I just want to feel like me again and not like a zoned out lunatic who doesn't even know or understand what is going on around me.

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
saab

Re: My father in laws funeral today
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2007, 12:22pm

Really sorry to hear that things are so bad at the moment. My ectopics are back at the moment too and I'm having a bit of an anxiety relapse as well. I seem to feel them much more these days, whereas initially I didn't, although I had a lot more in terms of numbers per minute.

What can we do? Well, all we can do is wait and give it time - these feelings will pass. Part of me wants to go running back to my GP for more reassurance, part of me wants to stick it out. In your case, angie, it's not surprising you feel so dreadful - don't feel guilty about it. You've had two terrible shocks in a short space of time, you are bound to feel very low and it will inevitably set off anxiety and thence physical feelings.

I am having some of the old feelings I used to have when I initially had the ectopics - feelings of panic, feelings of doom - fully expecting that I am dying or about to drop dead. But in three years I haven't yet - in fact, I would think that serious heart arrythmias don't really come and go, like our feelings do. If there was something seriously wrong with me, I wouldn't have had 4 months without any ectopics.

When you feel bad (emotionally and physically) you cannot see things logically - you forget that you sometimes can and do feel better. You will start to feel better, and we are all here to support you along the way, however long it takes.   Best wishes.

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2007, 1:58am

Hi Angie
You are doing well considering all the circumstances, angie.
But also wanted to say, don't beat yourself up about not being able to 'float' over the feelings. that is only one method of fighting this. It has never worked for me - I don't think your body or mind is capable of floating when it has so much adrenaline pouring through it.
I try to look the symptoms in the eye and stand and face them as if they were some kind of monster trying to trick me into thinking I am going to die any minute. Works much better for me than 'floating'.

After all adrenaline doesn't prepare you to 'fight or float' (I am going to trademark that Wink I just thought of it) so why not work with your brain and body and if it is in overdrive try to use that to your advantage. I have tried sitting with pen and paper and writing down all the reasons I am not likely to die at that moment when I have felt really bad - works for me! Crazy bird that I am!
xxx

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2007, 2:19am

Yep, fight or float - i was looking for that little TM thing you put after it, but can't find one, lol.
Thanks bead.
I hope you are feeling better by the way, my hubby has had the D & V since Saturday and he has been so very ill, i got so scared about it.  He still has the bad stomach, me a bit too really, but i think he is getting there.  There are some really nasty stomach bugs going round at the moment.  Take care!x

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2007, 12:48am

Hi

Sorry about your loss, you have been through it the past few months!!!

I read you post and noticed that you were doing a hell of alot of thinking about how you were feeling!!!  I know it is very difficult, as I myself do not know how to react to certain situations I kind of stop myself dealing with situations and I know I'm doing it, but still do it, If you'd actually said "I've done this" "I'm ok" "nothing terrible is going to happen" even if you didn't believe it to start with you have to keep saying it over and over in your head, engage in other conversations, try to do anything but keep thinking terrible things, as you are just making yourself feel how your feeling.

I think you have been very brave you have had to deal with 2 extremely big issues in a very short space of time, try not to bottle up your feelings as this can make anxiety worse.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2007, 5:35am

Thanks Kath, really struggling with the feelings of unreality and doom at the moment, hope it will calm down.  I really do try to distract and think positively, i am seeing a therapist, but i do still get really scared yet.x

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print