Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR - help please (Read 4616 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
RLR - help please
Nov 13th, 2007, 4:23am

As you may or may not know I have started a gym program twice per week for complete novices as part of my 'get well' campaign.

But now I am starting to panic about it. The last two times I have been I have had funny turns with my heart. I warm up using the exercise bike (10 minutes). It is not exactly hard going - I am not that out of breath or putting in masses of effort. BUT these last two times I have gone all dizzy and sweaty and my heart has been absolutely racing - I don't think I could estimate.
My heart is really really fast - I would find it quite hard to tap out with my fingers and I can feel the adrenaline kind of pulsing with it (dont know if that makes sense).

What I don't understand is that when I do the treadmill (only 5km/hr walking) and the rowing machine which is harder work all round my heart isn't struggling and going into overdrive. What I am trying to say is on the bike, the racing heart doesn't feel appropriate for the exercise.

Is it anything to do with warm-up?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: RLR - help please
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2007, 1:57pm

Glad to hear you're working toward such an outstanding goal. Keep up the good work.

What you have to realize is that the bike will create an increased demand by the heart because of the muscle groups being used on the bike versus the treadmill or rowing machine. The larger the muscle group and the more it is imposed upon to perform, necessitates greater demand on the heart. Certainly, your present level of conditioning will have a dramatic effect on heart rate, etc. The legs are certainly in the large muscle group and depending upon specific demand, ie walking versus pedaling, the demand can change dramatically.  

Remember, it is not uncommon for the average person in poor condition to achieve heart rates of 160 or more when beginning an exercise program. What you're looking to achieve is moderate heart rate over an extended period, 30 minutes or so per day. Do not try to overdo it and give your body time to become acclimated to the change in demands of exercise activity.

It's highly doubtful that you're sensing any sort of pulsation of adrenaline. Such chemical changes occur on an incredibly small scale and not as though being pumped through a hose. It is more likely that you are sensing changes in blood pressure against the vessel walls, which indeed can create a pulsing effect throughout the limbs. Also, do not try to guess at your pulse, but rather obtain one of several varieties of inexpensive monitors to measure your pulse more accurately. Knowing more exactly what your rate is will help you to establish your regimen more precisely regarding exercise at certain thresholds below maximum potential.

Just remember to take it slowly and give your body plenty of time to make adjustments. Conditioning will improve with time and you'll find the bike to be less demanding on the heart.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2007, 11:56pm

Thanks rlr.
I am not sure what to do regarding the pulse monitor because it might create more worry in me - I did buy one a while ago but I have never used it. I mean if my heart rate doesn't feels strange I don't and won't worry. It is only when it feels odd that I would want to check and then reading a result over 200 or something, it might spook me and throw me into a panic.

Is it possible to panic while exercising at this level? I am wondering if I was panicking because I got hot?

bead

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2007, 12:54am

Hi Bead

You are doing well!

I think it's possible to panic in any situation,  I think personally the heart monitor is a bad idea as you are thinking about your heart all the time then (Probably checking it every couple of seconds Smiley)
Try not to think to much about it as you are working yourself up literally before you've even started.

Smiley

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2007, 4:11am

Okay, this is one of the problems associated with anxiety disorder. Avoidance behaviors do not work under any circumstances because people with anxiety are compelled to wonder and let their lack of specific information and understanding create unwarranted fear. That is what makes the disorder so resistant to treatment.  

It's important for everyone who develops a cardiovascular exercise program to seek target levels with regard to their heart rate and use that information to establish a healthy exercise program.

In order to reduce fear and truly not have to worry is to fully understand how and why the heart works in instances of demand for action. Once you realize that the changes you are worried about are entirely normal, then your anxiety levels will be reduced in a very dramatic sense. If you sense something different, it should not be a cause for alarm, but rather learning to decifer what the change actually means versus habits that constantly tell you something is wrong.  

The key is understanding and increasing your knowledge about your heart and body, not trying to avoid thinking about it. If you could simply turn off the thoughts, then you wouldn't have anxiety, right? So realistically, there's only one proper course to follow in the matter and that's to learn what constitutes a problem and what you come to learn as being entirely normal. You must come to trust logic and scientific fact over and above reckless and uninformed speculation.

An exercise program in the presence of benign palpitations as a consequence of anxiety disorder is not going to place you in danger in any way whatsoever.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2007, 5:41am

I think you are doing so very well and are being very brave.  I wish i could be like that again, but hopefully in time i will be.
Just a thought on this whooshing feeling you get, is it the same as when you stand up quick from a sitting, kneeling or squatting position, re: change of blood pressure.  I feel it in my head, neck and ears, is that the one, the one that i try and accept everytime it happens as being normal? Lol.
Do try and keep going bead, you have done the hardest thing, the start of it, now if you can keep it going it will get better and better and your confidence will grow.  Could you send me some please too, lol?x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print