Hi (Read 4885 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Hi
Nov 14th, 2007, 1:11am

Hello

Been really busy lately, got myself a better job, and really involved up the school, stuff I never dreamt I'd do a year or more ago, but I persevered with the support of RLR and this forum, and now I'm Chair of the finance committee on the board of school governors and I am secretary of the PTA.  

I still have bad days and still have my OCD, but I just want to post to show you with perseverance things will change, I have had simular experiences to most of you, maybe not as severe, but I decided I couldn't live like that I do not want my children to grow up remembering their childhood with mummy always checking her pulse etc!!!!  Don't get me wrong I do still get odd beats missed beats and yes I do sometimes freak.

Like yesterday for example my nephew who's only 15 months old was admitted to hopital, my brother in law recorded his breathing on his phone and it was terrible they said at the hospital he had the wheezing, grunting and striding, he was given antibiotics as they did a chest x-ray and he has a mass on his chest which they believe is either viral or infection, and he's on oxygen and an hourly nebulizer, I was quite worried and when I went and see him laying between my sister's legs my sister all red eyed it was horrible, my normally happy gorgeous little nephew (Not so little he's quite a big boy) just all wired up, my body didn't quite know how to react and I was trying hard to stay positive, my poor sister and just that day she'd had her 13 week scan as she is pregnant too.  But so far I haven't had my normal reaction of panic and palpitations,  but he's picked up quite a bit and is still on the nebulizer as he is still wheezing but he is sitting up and playing so good.  But my trust in out of hours doctors hasn't been restored he was sent home by 1 doctor who said there was nothing wrong with his breathing even though he was wheezing and the other sent him home with antibiotics!  

Thanks for reading

Kath x  Smiley

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Hi
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2007, 4:17am

Well, look at you!!!! Congratulations, Kathryn. I had been sort of thinking about you from time to time, wondering how you're getting along.

Your progress should serve as inspiration for all. Indeed, your perserverence is to be highly commended, for it's the hurdle that must be crossed in order to succeed. And succeed you have!

Imagine that. Now you see that you can obtain anything you wish and I truly mean that. The confidence and determination that you've employed to achieve your present status can take you as far as you wish to go. The sky's the limit now.

You never have to look back now, except for the purpose of realizing the distance you've traveled ahead.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2007, 5:47am

Kath, firstly let me send my best wishes to your nephew and your family.  But he is in the right place, getting the right treatment now and he will come on in leap and bounds now, nebulisers are really good things, i know!  Please send them my best wishes for a speedy recovery and they young 'bounce back' quickly thank goodness.x
Secondly, let me say how wonderful you have done and i send my congratulations to you for what you have achieved.  I struggle to drive to pick up my children at the moment and i don't even have to get out of the car now, but i hope to get better soon.  You have come far and should be very proud of yourself.  I think you deserve a big treat!x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
DianaJJ
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Southern California
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2007, 6:13am

Wow Kathryn, you are truly an inspiration!  We are all so proud of you.  It just shows how you can go on with your life and feel accomplishment and joy.  It's so important to do something that takes you outside yourself, to keep busy and have goals.  You've really done this and made so much progress.
Keep up the good work!

DianaJJ

IP Logged
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2007, 1:31am

Hi Kathryn,
well done! Like you said you have achieved so much & doing things that at one time you felt you might never be able to do. I am also a lot better than I was & able to do things that used to scare the &%*! out of me & it does get easier over time but I do think you need support either to do this or at least get you started back on the road to recovery.
I know that I'm still 'vulnerable' to slipping back in to the old ways of thinking etc but slowly I know I'm changing how I react & deal with anxiety etc.
Keep it up Kathryn, it's good to hear that people are recovering-gives others hope that they too can & will get better.
love Seffie xx

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2007, 12:45am

Thank you all for your kind reply's.

RLR I see that you were right, even though at the time it was quite hard to accept, but your words made sense and gave me the kick up the rear that I needed, I do get quite defensive (as you may have noticed in the past) but I do think about what has been said and I'm glad I did.

I still have some personal hurdles I want to get past, like being able to go for a run without fearing that I'll get a bought of weird and wonderful beats!!

But I think I have learnt to live with them, and there are some weeks I think for goodness sake why am I getting so many this week! I still get the negative thoughts but I have trained myself to counter balance them, it was a hard process identifying my negative thoughts and challenging them.  

The way I see it is I spent years and years thinking the worst as so I didn't get disappointed, I also put a show on if I was disappointed as I didn't like people making a fuss,  I had some major things that although at the time we're big I used to think well others have been through worse, and gradually over time it got to the point where I ended up with the anxiety disorder, so I had to accept the big issues that had happened in my life and start thinking more positively not worrying or thinking I'm a failure if I didn't get a job or didn't achieve better than someone else also that not everything was my fault!  It was obviously more involved and to start with I thought this is never going to work, but it has I mean my brain is starting to make more automatic positive responses to things, where as before I'd trained myself to react negatively, so it will take a while still I think to get it to respond like that most the time.
(Sorry I hope this makes sense) But through being less anxious my stomach is less sensitive, I still stick to decaf and try to make sure I eat little and often and sit when eating, but like yesterday I walked along eating a sausage sandwich so wasn't surprised when I got indigestion and a few big missed beats!

My nephew is home now, and having inhalers antibiotics and steriods and is more his usual self, apparantly he had a virus that had hit his whole body and one side of his chest was infected, which affected his airways quite severly, thank you for your support.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print