Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High pulse rate! (Read 4704 times)
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
High pulse rate!
Nov 18th, 2007, 7:45am

I was'nt too bad yesterday day, then after i had my tea my heart rate shot up to the hundreds and stayed there all night.  It was 110 for hours and i did not like it at all, it did scare me even though i tried to ignore it.
When i went to bed it was going at 93 so it had come down a little bit, my bp was fine though.
When i got up this morning it was down to 81.  I did feel full and that all too usual feeling of being bloated and like the food was stuck in the top half of my stomach.  I know that it is normal for your pulse rate to go up due to digestion, but is it ok for it to be high for so many hours.
I have just had my dinner and it has gone up again but it is only 92 now.  Don't like the feeling and i know i shouldn't have, but i was checking it all last night - i know this can make your pulse higher because of the anxiety, but it didn't make any difference as when i didn't check it for ages then checked again it was still as high anyway.
Anyone else had this too? Undecided

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: High pulse rate!
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2007, 11:30am

Yes, I have had this at nightime. I am pretty sure it is just anxiety. Your body doesn't want you to go to sleep because of some imagined threat! It does worry me too when this happens. I don't know what to suggest other than try your best to ignore it.
Do not take your pulse repeatedly - that is my big warning. It does what it does. Once you start taking your pulse that is the slippery slope of obsession and more worrying. I get better quicker if I don't keep taking my pulse!

I don't think your pulse rate is that high though honestly.

Most peoples' pulse rate is probably like that if they are rushing about / esp if they are worried about something.
I have read anything between 60 to 100 is average normal for everyday stuff. But there is bound to be degree on either side that is normal without getting into strenuous exercise when it would go much higher.
Take care x

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2007, 4:19am

Your heart rate in the described range is nothing to be concerned about and although rates exceeding 100 BPM are technically classified as mild sinus tachycardia, again a harmless condition, it typically signifies disturbances in the sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system which influences heart rate, blood pressure, etc.

Increased heart rate can also be sustained by fear that something is wrong once it's noticed. The affected individual becomes vigilent to checking their pulse every 15 minutes or so, seeking to find that it has returned to what they consider normal. In effect, it simply induces fear and stimulates the sympathetic nervous system to continue pressing the body to remain on alert for signs of danger.

You can often reduce heart rate by applying a very cold compress to the eyes and pressing gently for a minute or so, a phenomenon known as the dive reflex.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2007, 4:36am

Thanks for the replies, i do get scared by a raised heart rate and i do try to ignore it, but it is very difficult indeed.x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print