Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Evoked potential test (Read 5604 times)
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Evoked potential test
Nov 22nd, 2007, 2:16am

Just had the test.  I think i did ok but i didn't enjoy it at all!  I was so anxious when i went in, not because of the test as such, but if it made me go dizzy and funny during or after really.
I had to look at a tv screen that was right infront of me, with each eye alternatively, and watch the screen.  There were black and white squares all over the screen that kept changing from black to white and a red square in the middle that i had to concentrate on at all times.  It did make my eyes funny but i had to keep concentrating or he would have had to do it all again.  He was nice and kept saying i was doing well and to keep blinking.  I also had to keep my jaw open slightly so it was relaxed.  I had 5 electodes on my head.  I think it only took about 15 minutes and i was so glad to get out to be honest.
I had horrible symptoms throughout that i kept trying to ignore, you know the ones, cold flashes up and down my spine, palpatations, fast heart rate, wooziness etc.
But the worst i think was the unreality that just kept rearing it's ugly head over and over again.  Probably as i was so anxious at the time.  
I was also worried because yesterday i was so dizzy from the moment i got up i had a hard time staying upright and with what has happened today i am getting more and more convinced that it could be my neck and ears.  I had to put my chin on my chest while he put the electrodes on the back of my head and my ears were shutting off and i could feel the pressure building up in my head, like something was shutting off again.  But i put up with it and did it!
Now i am sat here, still shaking, and my head and ears feel dull, full, still full of pressure really.  I am so sick of feeling this way and wish they could sort me out and find out what is going on.
But at least that is one more test out of the way for now.x Undecided

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
billycat

England
Re: Evoked potential test
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2007, 5:32am

Well done angie for having the test and surviving so well!!

When will you get the results? - I'll be looking out for your post as I often feel like my ears and sinuses are responsible for my dizziness and other problems but have never had them checked out properly.

Well done again!
billycat x

billycat
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2007, 9:33am

Thanks Billycat.  I dont know how long it will take for the results, you know what our hospital is like, lol.  Very long winded in UK.  I dont expect that there will be anything wrong and suspect that the results will be negative in all aspects.
I think the problem is my neck and ears.  Still suffering today with the dizziness, although it is a little better, but my neck is stiffer today and more painful and i still keep getting this feeling of pressure when i turn my head, like something is shutting off and my ears go 'dim', as if i am heading for a faint.  Horrible and scary feeling and happens at other times too, when i go up in a lift and get out at the top, or when i go up the stairs.  I don't know what it is and neither, it seems, does anyone else.  But it is a scary thing to go through and it can bring on a panic in a second.
I have got to be re referred back to ENT now to check ears again.  
I think maybe my neck is interferring more than anything at the moment though.  
If i move quick, even just my head, i lose my balance.  Just don't know but so fed up with it i know that much.  My bp is normally fine, never had any problems with that, although it has been a little low at times.
I am seeing a physio who has given me exercises to do but they are not helping as yet.
Supposed to be going back to work next week and so very scared about this, will be a wreck! Shocked
Will let you know how i am going on though.   Thanks again.

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2007, 1:18pm

Hi Angie
Well done - you survived the tests!

Just read what you said here'I think the problem is my neck and ears.  Still suffering today with the dizziness, although it is a little better, but my neck is stiffer today and more painful and i still keep getting this feeling of pressure when i turn my head, like something is shutting off and my ears go 'dim', as if i am heading for a faint. '

Just wanted to say that I get all that too and often think it is my neck. But I don't really know - some days my neck is so stiff and clicks and I have had this funny hearing loss phenomenon too. I just think everything is interlinked and weird stuff happens to us because we are anxious.

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine - each time you recount something I think, yep, I know that one. We can't both have some rare disease that the doctors have missed  Roll Eyes Maybe we need to come to terms with the fact that it is anxiety that has messed up our whole central nervous systems and needs a long time to recover even once the anxiety is beaten.

Does anyone else think this could be the case?

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2007, 1:36pm

Thanks bead, were we seperated at birth perhaps, lol. Tongue
I am so glad that i am not alone in this devestating symptom.  It really scares the hell out of me and causes the flippin' panic to start with!  It is so very severe i don't think anyone really appreciates how bad unless they experience it.  I honestly thought yesterday that it must be how you feel when you have vertigo.  I couldn't even see properly i was THAT dizzy.  Still have the effects of it today!!
Hubby thinks it is caused by my neck as i do have neck problems anyway but nothing like this until i got ill.  But i am a lot less active now!!  But it is so horrid when you cant stay upright and feel so very bad isn't it.  When i went to bed the night before i was fine, felt a bit better and confident really.  Then woke up and WHAM i was faced with that. :'(
Glad i am not alone in this one anyway, this is driving me mental even more.x

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
billycat

England
Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2007, 1:48pm

I completely agree with you beadbabe - I often read posts on here and think that the symptoms are exactly like my own. I especially relate to the stuff that goes on in the head i.e. dizziness, spaciness, ear problems, nose problems, i get loads of headaches, sinus problems... and the list goes on and on.

I agree too that if you really thought about it, how unlikey would it be that a number of people that happen to post on the same website, could all be suffering the same horrid illnesses!! Spooky!!

It helps with the anxiety to think rationally about it like that i find. It also makes the "symptoms" feel a bit better too!

I also think to myself - how unlucky can one person be to have all of these symptoms - which are all due to different hideous untreatable diseases obviously -  all at the same time?? I often have to take stock of myself when I think I've got e.g. a brain tumour because of the head aches and pressure in the head, whilst at the same time having bowel cancer, some horrible eye disease giving constant floaters, a spinal tumour, throat cancer, heart disease (leading to sudden death at any given moment!), a dvt from a pain in the leg ... and the list goes on!!! How unlucky CAN one person be all in one day??

Bizzarre how none of this was a problem for me before the anxiety disorder took hold...!!

billycat
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2007, 3:36am

spot on, angie and billy - anxious minds think alike!!

xx

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print