Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A conditioned physical response (Read 3949 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
A conditioned physical response
Jan 25th, 2008, 3:24am

Hi RLR and everyone
Just read an answer you gave about it being possible for your body to give a conditioned physical response rather than an obvious emotional one.

I am really interested in learning how to counteract this as the way things are going I suspect that I am having that. I often think 'yes but I don't feel more anxious today than yesterday or last week so why the increase in palpitations' Do you have any tips on logging this and 'debugging the system' so to speak? Presumably it is possible to 'unlearn' these kind of responses?

Incidentally I have spent nearly a week and a half with at least half the usual number of palpitations. They are still going on but I have just come back from a trip to the hairdressers and I only noticed them twice in a two hour period, rather than every 15 to 20 beats. so that is some kind of miracle for me. Although I am almost reluctant to admit it, rather superstitiously, in case just saying that, puts me in for another bout of uncontrollable heart weirdness Wink

In my diary I am marking up good and bad days re palpitations and have noticed that on the whole they are better than they have been in ages. On the days when they are not there I am feeling really happy - but which has come first do you think? I feel I am happy because of the lack of palpitations.

Although the palpitations are still there every day and night, they are so infrequent compared to how they have been they feel manageable. I have only had one bad day this week where my heart was going to fast for what I was doing - in 90s and all I was doing was pottering around the house!

bead

IP Logged
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: A conditioned physical response
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2008, 8:50am

Hi Bead,
in the therapy that I'm doing for my 'cfs' they talk about 'cellular memories' & how the body uses these in order maybe to protect itself. eg: if you were stung by a bee your body 'records' this (creates a cellular memory) in order to know how to react next time & therefore to try & protect itself.
An anxious person might start to feel unwell / panicky in a supermarket queue & so next time you're in a shop queue your head starts thinking 'uh oh-last time I was here I felt unwell & in a split second your brain thinks 'danger' & sends messages via hormones to tell your body to react-fight or flight which then makes us feel panicky because these feelings are out of context.
You probably know all this but I think this is what RLR means by a conditioned physical response-if I'm wrong RLR please correct me.

I know what you mean about getting these symptoms when you don't feel anxious. When I had my palpitations yesterday I was having a pretty good day & was just flicking through a catalogue feeling very relaxed. I know that if I wasn't getting palps I wouldn't be as anxious but I also understand that how I think caused the anxiety state in the first place.

I know with anxiety that if you lose one symptom another one takes it's place so even if my palps got better I would start to focus on another symptom so I know I have to learn to deal with the anxiety & then I hope everything else will fall in to place.

I wonder if NLP might help with this as I think this kind of 'reprogrammes' how you think / react. Don't know enough about it.
I'll be interested in RLR's reply to your post Bead!
Glad that they seem to be easing up for you abit-it's about time!!
love Seffie xx

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2008, 3:40pm

Hi Bead.  Glad to hear that you are feeling better, that is great news!!
Just thought i would put my two penny worth in to say that i don't think that 90 bpm for 'pottering around the house' is excessive at all.  I took my pulse at work today, just been walking round that was all and it was 110!  Tried not to think about it, lol.x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2008, 12:56am

I appear to have cursed myself (LOL) - the palpitations are already back just as badly as before.  So really cheesed off.

I feel really disappointed as day to day is a struggle with constant ectopics - being out of breath all the time and dealing with position changes is a challenge. It's like my heart can't deal with changes in blood pressure at all and can't catch up with what it needs to. I don't know, that is what it feels like.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print