Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR - IBS - Could you help me please? (Read 3520 times)
agould
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

RLR - IBS - Could you help me please?
Feb 04th, 2008, 6:44am

Hello

My name is Angie and I have been using this forum on and off over the last 2 years. Firstly I was experiencing ectopic beats about 2 years ago which although I do still get them from time to time, I try not to give them any attention as I have been through an ECG and 24 holter monitor(showed up about 30 beats over the day) and the consultant was not concerned at all and said it was normal.  Since then I have moved house and area (about 130 miles away from friends and family) and last summer was diagnosed with IBS after numerous tests (sigmoidoscopy and biopsy/H-pylori/stool test/thyroid/celiac disease test) which all came back negative.  I did seem to get rid of my symptoms for nearly the whole of December which was an amazing feeling, and I couldn't quite believe my luck.  Anyway, my tummy pains along with bloating and flatulence came back with a vengance in January.  My concern at the moment is that when I am lying down I can sometimes see (especially first thing in the morning) that my lower right tummy is firmer and bigger on the right hand side than the left but causes me no pain at all.  Whilst this is happening it feels heavy in this area.  As little as 15 minutes later it can have disappeared again and be  the same size as the left.  As this comes and goes my husband tells me not to worry and that it is just gas and normal gut function.  He seems to think everyone has this but I am just more focussed and worried about my tummy troubles.  I did mention this to my doctor last year, but she just giggled and asked if I was pregnant, which I am not.  I am nervous to go back to the doctor as I am worried that I will be put on anxiety meds and I am really very keen to overcome my IBS/Ectopic beats through relaxation etc.  I know that I am anxious at the moment as I do not have a job and am not happy in my new surroundings yet.  I think that my symptoms largely went away in December as I was doing some temporary in my husbands company and clearly felt more content with life.  I really want to help myself get over my worries and don't know which route to take. Do you think it would be worth having a food tolerance test, or is it better to have some counselling to tackle my anxiety?  I can't help thinking when I am happy and settled into a work routine my symptoms may disappear, or am I naive?  Your comments would really be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.  Angie

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: RLR - IBS - Could you help me please?
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2008, 7:49pm

My apologies for not seeing your post. I'm not used to looking under the general forum.

It is somewhat rare for people to develop food allergies, which is mostly the case with infants and young children and temporary at that.

Most folks with IBS tend to think that certain foods cause their problem because the symptoms are often proximal in time to eating what is subsequently believed to be the cause. This is not the case.

IBS is a dysregulation of water reuptake in the colon and is caused by certain selective serotonin transmitters. Although the precipitating  cause is unknown, there is some association to stress and anxiety.

Many people experience bloating in the abdomen area in the morning due to body position and the effects of gravity and the fact that it is only unilateral in your case is not uncommon, together with changes that occur once you become fully awakened.  This occurs because motility is increased and the bowel usually voids sometime afterward in the case of most folks. So we're not talking about anything unusual or that would indicate a problem.

Never be worried that you'll be placed on medication of any type, which is entirely elective in the case of psychotropics. If you don't wish to take them, then simply make this known to your prescribing physician.

It is not naive at all to think that when your life is settled, your symptoms will abate. If I were to suggest anything here, it would certainly be to forego a tolerence test which would be of no value and place my money on some counseling with a very experienced therapist. There are just as many bad ones as good ones, however, so it's important to be very forthright in seeking out the right professional to help you. Cognitive restructuring works very well in such cases and helps defeat faulty thinking patterns, replacing them with renewed perspectives.

Again, my apologies for missing your post. Don't worry, your IBS is not an indication of anything more sinister. You'll be just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print