Feeling unwell (Read 12133 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Feeling unwell
Mar 24th, 2008, 5:14am

Hi

I've been feeling really sick on and off for about a month, been having hot flushes and past couple of days feel really tired.  I've just come off my period which was slightly heavier than usual.

A friend of mine has been feeling the same and went to the doctors who gave her some stuff to settle her tummy, and said this is really common for people our age?

I've tried googling and I keep getting heart things so really do not want to read that.

Could this just be a virus or should I go to the doctors?

Thanks

Hope your all ok

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Feeling unwell
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2008, 8:54am

Hi Kath,
it does sound like a virus but how old are you? Could it possibly be perimenopause? Sorry if you're nowhere near that stage-I'm afraid I don't know how old you are!
Can you describe the hot flushes in more detail?
Seffie xx

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2008, 9:30am

Hi

I'm 28 so hopefully not menopausal yet  Smiley

Hopefully it's a virus and will pass soon, The hot flushes I just all of a sudden come over really hot and sweaty, lasts upto a couple of minutes.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2008, 3:47pm

Ohhhh, you're not peri-menopausal. Wink Goodness gracious. Because of the time-frame, I also doubt this is viral related as well. Most viral illnesses have a cycle of 7 to 10 days.

I'll place my bet on an exacerbation of your IBS, Kathryn. It's important to realize that IBS symptoms can make you feel incredibly ill and not in any specific manner. More importantly, it doesn't just affect the GI tract, but your general sense of well-being. This is why afflicted patients begin searching for all sorts of possible causes.

I've had many a patient tell me that they feel extremely tired all the time and they sometimes feel like they're in a mental fog. They report feeling queasy and tremulous, with dry mouth and GI-related complaints. Importantly, patients also describe sensing hot, flushing sensations and sweating on occasion. You should know that this response is typically associated with constipation and results from rather aggressive efforts by the bowel to move waste through the colon and out of the body. Remember that IBS is a disorder of the water balance within the colon, which is where the majority of water re-uptake occurs. This is why patients with IBS either suffer from extreme diarrhea or constipation, sometimes both. Too little water, constipation results and too much water, diarrhea occurs. You might well imagine that changes in electrolytes do occur as a consequence.

You have to realize that IBS is cyclic in nature. You can sometimes go for extended periods without many symptoms, only to find in a matter of a couple of days that you feel miserable and everything you eat or drink seems to bring on indigestion or other symptoms. You don't necessarily have to be under any extreme stress for a flare-up as well. There is research underway to suggest that IBS may have some association to an auto-immune response of some type but the evidence is unclear.

While your symptoms may be similar to those of your friend, be careful not to make a direct association. GI problems have a variety of underlying causes and only because I know something of your history do I suggest yours to be related to IBS.

I'll add here as I've done in the past that it's quite difficult indeed for me to respond to questions about whether you should see your doctor. I'm constrained to point out that I haven't the ability to directly evaluate you, so from a practical and even professional standpoint, I can only offer you information based upon what is presented in your posting and what I know of your history. If you feel that your symptoms are unusual and you are concerned, then by all means you should make elective decisions about whether to present the matter to your doctor.

If you're experiencing difficulty with bowel movements or constipation, accompanied by indigestion and a sense of lethargy, then it's important to try and get things to calm down. Remember that coffee and related beverages are very dehydrating. Chocolate as well. Just try and keep in mind that if it tastes really delicious and you feel guilty while eating it, it will likely exacerabte your IBS symptoms.  Smiley

I'm glad to hear from you and so very proud of all the progress you've made since we first spoke. I trust all is well with your family and please continue to visit us from time to time should you have questions. I'll be around if you need me.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2008, 1:09am

Thank you

I have had a dry mouth funny enough, I'm not sure if I'm constipated as I have been quite regular.  I didn't realise IBS could make you feel so sick!  It's not constant on and off.  IBS did cross my mind but I ruled it out.

I do visit when I can, I hope you are well and I hope your not working to hard  Smiley

Kath x x

Kath x
  IP Logged
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2008, 1:47am

Hi Kathryn,
sorry!! I did say I didn't know how old you were-lol!!!! You're just a baby at 28!!!!
Obviously RLR has most likely reassured you of what the possible causes are.
I think when we are prone to anxiety any unusual or new symptoms has the potential to make us feel worried.
Hope you'll soon be feeling much better!
love Seffie xx

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2008, 2:55am

Hi Kathryn

Probably best for any queazy blokes not to read this posting - they won't like it!

From a woman's point of view (nearly 40 but not menopausal yet Smiley ), periods vary from your late 20s onwards. I have been through many spells of light ones, painful ones, hardly there at all ones (managed to get pregnant twice during this spell!), and now awful heavy ones. Periods change and that's a fact of life for us women. As we get older things change and settle down again. I have spells of headaches prior to periods and headaches midcycle, and headaches after the period. Our bodies and hormones seem to be highly complex and ever changing.

The other thing is that all these changes happen but no-one will tell you about it unless you sit down and ask them. I have had hot flushes related to the menstrual cycle - I always know when my period is due because I wake up really hot and bothered and thirsty in the two days before my period is due. Now if you were to google that, hot flushes would only come up as a menopausal symptom (or AIDS or cancer - which I tortured myself for a while in my mid-twenties). Despite having had these hot flushes every month for years and years, none of the bad illnesses were a viable explanation, nor was early menopause.

And I just wanted to say that your NORMAL female hormones can make you feel sick and sweaty too! And I am pretty sure, female hormone fluctuations can trigger IBS. For example, anyone who has had a baby will tell you that the weird hormones surges before you have a baby have a weird yet handy effect on your bowels before you go into labour, as well as making your incredibly sick and sweaty. (Any men reading this, sorry for the grossness!) Monthy cycles and hormones mess us about big time sometimes.

I hope you are feeling a little better today.
bead xx

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2008, 6:24am

Thanks all,

I've been quite lucky through out the years, I've been pretty regular with my periods, although I generally do not experience such strong symptoms, for some reason this month my boobs got massive and really sore and I needed to wee every 5 minutes, if my hubby hadn't have had the snip I'd think I was pregnant!!! lol

I may pop to the doctors as I generally do not experience what I'm experiencing with either IBS or my periods, but it is most likely my IBS, just showing itself in a different way this time.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2008, 6:32am

That sounds to me like higher progesterone levels in relation to oestrogen, it happens in the second half of the cycle to lots. I have spent six months like that but last month back to usual. Weird or what?
Hope you are much better.
x

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print