Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Swollen ankles??? anyone???? (Read 17101 times)
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Swollen ankles??? anyone????
Mar 26th, 2008, 3:57pm

Hi, only me again having a wobbler!!
I know that it is normal when it is warm/hot for your ankles to swell a bit and your hands too.  I noticed last year when i was away and it was warm and i just wore flat shoes that my ankles were swollen.  I did quite a bit of walking, good for me and obviously no socks.  When i wear socks it leaves a deep line, normal, but my ankles aren't swollen.  I know this is because the socks keep your ankles in, so to speak, and helps the circulation, but i am concerned now because i just wore shoes today and have walked round the shops and that and now my ankles are swollen again.  It is warm also though.  It is not horrendous, i have seen much worse, and the swelling isn't bulging as such, it's just when i look down i can tell my ankles look fatter!  When i push my finger in it leaves an indent too.  It is mainly on the inside of my ankle though.  Please put my mind at rest that this is perfectly normal and i am ok.  Just got this stuck in my mind now, something else i know.   But i know that when i get up in the morning my ankles will be back to normal again, however, i am planning on not wearing socks tomorrow for work so this will happen again won't it?  Any reassurance please?

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Swollen ankles??? anyone????
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2008, 8:44am

Hi Angie
You should have seen my feet after the birth of my first baby - absolutely enormous and you could leave an impression of your fingers on the top of my feet.

I guess different things can cause your feet to swell up - and for you that is maybe in a warm place on your feet most of the day. It happens to lots of people on aeroplanes too - in this case you need to keep getting active and getting the circulation going to clear it.

It is fluid building up in your feet - if you rest with your feet up it will drain away. It's probably entirely normal - everyone's feet are bigger by the end of the day - that is why they tell you if you are shopping for shoes you should try on at the end of the day.

Why not get the doctor to check it out - do you have problems with the rings on your fingers too - some people notice that... It's the same sort of thing.

I wouldn't think it is caused by anxiety - but your anxiety might make it seem worse than it really is!

bead x

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2008, 10:45am

Hi thanks Bead but it has worried me really because of the anxiety i supppose.
It has made me feel worse today as well as when i got up this morning i totally expected my ankles to be normal again, like before.  However, they were still swollen.  So i wore socks today and my normal work shoes and i have just checked them and they are still swollen, no worse, still the same, so still very anxious about it!!!
My hands are fine but they do swell when it is warm or when i am due my period which i know is normal.
I have been very busy this past week, so have been active.  Even went bowling for two hours on Tuesday night for my son's birthday and it was very, very warm in there and when i took the bowling shoes off my socks were wet!!!  But my ankles were fine, lol.
I don't know why they have swollen up and stayed swollen, maybe the heat i suppose, but because of my anxiety it is scaring me lots now.  It is the inside of my ankle and my finger leaves an impression, not for ages though, probably a few minutes is all.  Like i say i have nursed worse and they are not horrendous, but it is scaring me some.xx

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2008, 4:37pm

This is known as dependent edema and is caused by extracellular fluid which typically causes swelling in the extremities, most noticably in the ankles. Many things can produce this type of edema, from sitting too long at the computer to spending too much time in the sun, increasing your intake of salt, etc. While there are other causes, in the absence of known disease I'll simply tell you that you're worrying needlessly.

Simply place a pillow under your feet while seated on the couch or lying in bed in order to elevate them above your heart. The swelling will dissipate in time and you'll be fine. Nothing to worry about here.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2008, 3:25pm

Thankyou for your kind replies.  I should try and stop worrying i know and if anyone has found the trick please let me know, lol.
I am sure that i have arthritis in my right ankle as the pain is awful and it gives way all the time so i am not surprised that that one is puffy now and then with the pain but this was both and it stayed and i did get concerned.  Thankyou for the reassurance.xx

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2008, 11:05am

Okay, i know, it's me again!!!!
Been away and it has been hot, but my ankles are very bad and really scared me, even more than before i think.
They have been going up in the day and down at night and are fine in the morning, but, as i have been wearing my sandles, flat shoes and flip flops they are back up again.  I have walked a lot so ankles and muscles in legs are painful at the moment anyway, but left one is swollen and right one is really bad, looks like something that i would have nursed on the wards.  Then the ectopics are getting to me as well and i am connecting them for some reason, heart failure fears i suppose, but muliple ectopics and then single big and nasty ones, really don't help my fears and still terrify me lots.
I have sat for an hour with my feet up and they are still as bad, right one worse still.  The swelling is all around now, not just at the inside like before and last night i had to wear training socks and trainers as i was that scared and so i couldn't see them!  My feet were swollen last night too and painful with it.  Feet have gone down now though, just ankles.  I really don't like the heat!!!
Please reassure me that this is normal and nothing to worry about, i get so scared.
I noticed while away, that girls, young too, were wearing sandles and flip flops and their ankles were swollen too, but it didn't make me feel any better.xx :'(

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2008, 3:28pm

This is certainly not associated with congestive heart failure of all things. Care must be taken not to try and loosely associate symptoms with certain conditions. Congestive heart failure also produces fluid in the lungs, a decreased O2 saturation and labored breathing. The swelling condition in your ankles is dependent edema and there are many causes, most of which are benign.

You do not have CHF.

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2009, 6:50am

Hi RLR, i know i haven't been on for a while but i have been trying to just forget about things and 'keep going'.  I have had good days and bad, like everyone else i suppose.  But these past few days i have been so very scared and just have to 'vent'.  Hope you don't mind.
My ankles have swollen up very badly, never been like this before.  All up around my ankle bone, started on the left side and now they are both swollen.  The weather here has been warm and i have not been wearing socks each day.  They do improve slightly by morning but then go back up again.  I have been drinking water, cranberry juice but it hasn't made any difference.  Wondering if this would take time to work anyway and not happen overnight!
I can't stop thinking about it and am so anxious and upset about it all the time.  I am going away for 4 days now and i really don't want to go.   Undecided
My bp is fine, i don't have a urine infection, my ECG's are fine.  My sats are 98%.
I am so scared that this will not go or do something to me.  
I have worn socks today and have just looked and they are still as bad, no improvement at all, and i have creases all over my ankles and feet where my socks have been.  
As you know i am 39, i do not take any medications.
Still suffering with the dizziness and all the other problems too.
Could this be hormonal?  If so why now?  
I know so people take water tablets, but i can't take medication and i don't think i should have too at my age anyway.  That would lower my bp, normally low enough already.
I am concerned as to why this is happening really and what it means.
I am just so frightened by this.
Thankyou.
Angiebaby.

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2009, 7:12pm

Okay, well I think you need to take a really deep breath and relax.

Your condition is not life-threatening by any means and can certainly arise in association with menstruation.
When you go to bed at night, place a couple of firm pillows under your ankles and try to keep them elevated.

Since I can't directly observe the condition, you need to at least make your doctor aware of the circumstances and even treat it if it's of concern to you.

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2009, 3:36pm

Thankyou RLR.  Just got back off holiday and have been so scared that i have worn socks all the time and not looked at them if i could help it.  They are still swollen.  Just trying not to think about it now really, getting too wound up about it i think.
Angiebaby.x

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print