HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Feeling in throat (Read 16421 times)
zeus34

I Love YaBB 2!

Feeling in throat
Apr 18th, 2008, 5:53am

RLR - HI there!  I have a question.  Sometimes I get this feeling in my throat that's hard to describe but it feels like for only a few seconds that someone has put their hand around my throat, so almost like a choking sensation.  In the past when I have felt this, I instantly put my hand on my pulse and can feel a skip.  Sometimes though, I don't feel the skip and I don't know if the skipped happpend already in those cases and I missed 'catching it' or if this is related to the vagus nerve?  I can say that most times I get this feeling, I'm leaning forward or maybe squating down and moving around (like putting my son's jacket on).  When I get this sensation it freaks me out a bit and I instantly think my heart has stopped (again, because in the past I have felt the heart skipping).

Thanks for your feedbck on this.

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Re: Feeling in throat
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2008, 7:53am

I also get a very distincet feeling in my throat before I get a palp.  Mine feels more like a flip flop, like I can feel something tighten then losse.  It is  in a very small distinct spot at the center base of the throat, just above the collar bone area.  When they first started I thought it was a qucik muscle spasm in my esophagus or something like that until I realized it was connected to my heartbeat. That's when the fun began! Shocked

IP Logged
zeus34

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2008, 8:01am

That is exactly where I feel it too, so I maybe I did have a skip and missed feeling it with my finger on my pulse in my neck.  I hate this feeling, it's like your everything pauses for a second or two..

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2008, 5:32pm

Okay, the sensation you feel is known as Globus Hystericus and is a very common conversion symptom of people suffering from anxiety disorder. There is a lot of speculation in the medical community about the mechanism that acutally causes the sensation. Suffice it to say that we're just not sure and since it's entirely harmless, not much effort is put into identifying the underlying cause.  Sad  

Many patients find that the sensation can cause them to become fearful of choking and it can very oftentimes lead to a panic threshold in some folks. It's extremely important here to realize that the throat is not actually becoming constricted at all, but rather only the sensation that it's occurring.

Relief is sometimes experienced by swallowing very small sips of water which can temporarily break the sensation. You just need to be aware that it's absolutely harmless and does not indicate that there is a growth or other occlusion taking place in your airway. Just remain calm and it will pass. You'll be fine.

Also remember my postings on heart palpitations regarding the specific entrance of a benign palpitation upon the normal sinus rhythm of the heart. Because of this factor, you can either sense a pause, a flutter or a thump. It's entirely normal and will never harm you.

Body position has a great deal to do with causing the Vagus nerve to become stimulated and send an inappropriate signal along to the heart, which results in a palpitation. Remember that the Vagus nerve innervates the GI tract as the gastric nerve and that trapped air or compression can cause stimulation of the nerve. Again, you'll be just fine. Always stay relaxed and know that the sensation can never do you any actual harm and can never turn into something more sinister.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
zeus34

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2008, 7:17pm

Thank you very much for that explanation.  I will try not to let my anxiety get the best of me when it happens.  (easier said than done, but I will try much harder now).   Smiley

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2008, 4:12pm

I know what you mean, I get the quick feeling in the throat, a pause,  you wait, then the palp.  You know it's coming right after that feeling in  throat.  I have had that lump in the throat feeling(globus hyst.), like a marshmallow stuck in my throat, but when I get that it is constant and can last for hours or even a few days.  This is a different sensation, for me, in that it is just a quick flip flop.   It happens everytime I get a palp so I am used to them, don't like it but what can you do??

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print