Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting rid of anxiety - any suggestions? (Read 3940 times)
zeus34

I Love YaBB 2!

Getting rid of anxiety - any suggestions?
Apr 23rd, 2008, 6:37am

Hi there! I have visited this forum on occassion regarding my heart skips.  I am trying to come to terms that my problems are a result of nothing more than anxiety.  I have been told I have anxiety, so this is not suprise, it's just a matter of accepting it.

I am very heart aware - while I get other symptoms with my anxiety such as dizziness sometimes, all symtoms related to the heart scare me.  The skips, the fast heart rate on waking up, etc.

I am trying to get past all this.  Since our weather is finally warming up, I have been out twice walking 1 1/2 miles at a fairly good pace.  I hated it and all I could think about was my heart beating faster, which of course it should, but when you worry about your heart, you hate every sensation that makes you think of it.  Despite this, I have made myself go out and do it and will do it again tonight.  

I monitor my pulse during the day.  It's such habit now, I don't catch myself doing it until I am feeling my pulse on my neck and I start evaluating it.  It's too fast (90+), it's slower (lesst than 80), etc.  I'm making myself worse doing this I know... and I'm trying very hard to stop doing this.

Maybe someone else has been through this and can offer suggestions on helping with the anxiety.  I do not take any meds and do not want to for anxiety.  

Thanks so much!

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Re: Getting rid of anxiety - any suggestions?
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 5:07pm

I think keeping busy is a huge part of lowering your anxiety.  Keeping your mind from feeding off it's own self destructive thoughts.  I know if I feel my heart pounding with excerice I think how strong it feels and that it is good to have a strong heart muscle.  The  excercise is great too in building confidence that there is nothing wrong. Lots of people here have mentioned the Claire Weekes' book which is a very good and easy read.  Sometimes I also tell myself when the palps are bad that 'that I know what you are and I am stronger than you and you aren't going to get to me" and then start doing something!!. I too don't want to deal with meds and feel that I don't have high levels of anxiety.  No panic attacks or things like that just general worry about daily things I can do nothing about for the most part.  For me the less I think about all this the better off I am. Take music with you on the walks so you are singing instead of thinking! Stop that pulse monitoring- I never did that because I did not like feeling the skipped beats-Yuk! stay determined.

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 5:10pm

I also get in bed at night and put on headphones with soothing music and do some imagery stuff, pretending I am on the beach or whatever is comforting to you and do some deep breathing and just tell my self to relax and everything is going to be fine. Try different things and see what works for you.

IP Logged
saab

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2008, 2:51am

Zeus - I have been (and still am at times) very much in the same situation as you. Although my ectopics were not caused by anxiety, I am now very anxious about them, which can make them worse. When I feel the skips, I spend a lot of time taking my pulse - totally pointless, but if there are no missed beats it calms me down. Like you too I get worried when I exert myself and my heart rate goes up - which it should of course.

I found Claire weeks books helpful and also Dr D Burns 'Feeling Good' and J. Bourne, Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. They helped me be more rational about my heart worries.

Keeping busy does help, but there have been times when I have been totally paralysed by my anxiety and could barely face leaving the house. There is lots of stuff on the internet. Here are some sites I have looked at in the past:

http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/index.php
http://www.drbeckham.com/index.php
http://www.anxietynetwork.com/helpcope.html#helpcop1
http://www.anxieties.com/index.php

I also printed off some of RLR's comments from other threads and read these through when I was super-anxious about my heart.

It definitely helped to do some of the cognitive therapy exercises for anxiety in the books, or read through some of the free handouts from websites, like these:

http://www.anxietynetwork.com/helpcope.html#helpcop1

I still do them now when I am having a bad day.

CBT is the big thing now of course, but it is interesting that 30 years ago Claire Weekes was pretty much advocating the same thing, without calling it therapy. The 'don't fight it, let it wash over you' approach has certainly been helpful to me. I still have bad days when I feel sure I will drop dead but they are relatively few now, whereas it used to 24/7.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print