Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Allergy medicine for a sensitive heart? (Read 9371 times)
Bunny
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Allergy medicine for a sensitive heart?
Apr 25th, 2008, 4:28am

I deal with benign PAC's and I have a very sensitive heart to caffeine/alcohol and the like. My allergies are killing  me. I'm trying to figure out what I should take. I bought some Zyrtec AND Claritin. Benadryl I'm ok with but it just totally knocks me out

Any opinions?

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Allergy medicine for a sensitive heart?
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2008, 9:49am

Hi there
I also suffer from a fair few allergies (airborne ones so I have a constant problem really - blockes sinuses, itchy ears and throats, sneezing). It drives me mad especially at night and in the autumn (leaf mould apparently.)

I used to take various over the counter antihistamine tablets with no problems (although they had to be non-drowsy type as otherwise they really made me woozy). But since my ectopics and palpitations I have stopped taking them as my cardiologist told me that often people came to him with palpitations and irregular heart rhythms that were caused by antihistamines. Of course that made me (perhaps irrationally) stop taking them when I needed them, because I am now scared of bringing on additional palpitations which I can certainly do without.

The only way to go is to try them and see - perhaps even try half a tablet and see if it affects you or not. As long as there are no contraindications on the pack for anything else you might be taking or conditions you might have...

I bet RLR will advise properly later!

bead

IP Logged
Bunny
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2008, 10:05am

So do you just suffer thru your allergies? To be honest, I would rather deal with allergies than palpitations.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2008, 3:56pm

Hello there.

Certainly you should not suffer with your allergies. The key to selecting medications that can provide allergy relief and yet not present you with the side-effects you mention is to avoid medications in this class that include a decongestant.

There are many OTC brands out on the market today that are decongestant-free preparations and those are pefectly fine for you to take in order to avoid palpitations and other discomforting effects. Look on the package insert or ingredients for names like Diphenhydramine, Chlorpheniramine or brompheniramine to name but a few. The first is typically the most potent and the latter two are a little less potent but have fewer side effects.

Names like pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine are decongestants and should be avoided if you don't care for the side-effects we've been discussing. You can also speak to your primary care doctor about steroidal medications that must be used regularly to desensitize histamines from responding to allergen exposure.

It's also important to determine whether you have seasonal rhinitis or something known as vasomotor rhinitis. Naturally, seasonal rhinitis includes irritated eye membranes, runny nose, scratchy throat etc.

Vasomotor rhinitis, is something that is often confused with seasonal allergies and has more to do with the condition of the air rather than what's in it. In other words, people with vasomotor rhinitis who go from a cold environment to a warm one, or the other way around, can experience a stuffy nose alternating with post-nasal drip that causes a sometimes uncontrollable cough very similar to the way a person respopnds if they swallow water the wrong way. It can be quite chronic and troublesome.

The difference is that people who actually have vasomotor rhinitis constantly complain that allergy medications really don't seem to help.

Vasomotor rhinitis is primarily a diagnosis of exclusion and if there are no reactions to allergens and IgA tests are relatively normal, then it's important to note that it's likely not allergen related. There is no real treatment for vasomotor rhinitis but steps can be taken to avoid conditions that exacerbate symtpoms. Things such as fumes, extremely concentrated humid or dry air, certain spices and other edible preparations that can promote weeping of sinus membranes, some alcoholic beverages, etc.

Hope this helps.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2008, 5:33am

I would definitely rather have a blocked nose and itchy throat than risk more palpitations on top of what I already have Smiley

The other thing I have heard but not sure of the REAL risk is that there was a bit scare in the UK a few years ago over the danger of some non-drowsy antihistamines (triludan included which was the one I used to take regularly) that if you drank grapefruit juice and took these tablets they could cause fatal arrhythmia. Ahem, that was enough for me to stop taking them - if something as benign as grapefruit juice can make a simple drug dangerous, what on earth is in them?

I think this is one thing that makes me worry about drugs in general - if something really simple in your diet can interract in such a dramatic clash, then really all drugs best avoided unless absolutely you can't do without them.

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2008, 8:16am

I know what you mean Bead.  I am too scared to take a paracetamol anymore, prefer to have the pain than pop a pill, lol.  I do not take anything at all, ever!  But i know at some point in my life i will have to and wonder how i will cope with that one.
I grew up with sever hayfever, rhinitis, bronchitis and asthma.  Had pill, potions and drops into every orifice, lol.  As i grew older, in my teens, the asthma subsided and so did the bronchitis problems.  I continued with the hayfever though, still severe.  As i have had my three children, my hayfever got better and better, and even though i do still suffer slightly, it is nothing compared to how it used to be.  However, my middle child has it very severe and has to take medicine and eye drops and they don't touch it really.  
I have been struggling just lately, now the warmer weather is here, with my breathing though.  I am trying to keep this is perspective, as we do lol, and am convincing myself that it could be allergies, again, or a return of my asthma which is probably due to happen now as i am 38 and it does come back.  I did book in for a reversability test with the practice nurse, but she was too busy and over ran and i never had it in the end, that was when i wasn't as anxious as i am nowadays though lol.  I do smoke though, which i know doesn't help.  I just carry on regardless and i hoping that when the warmer weather subsides then this will go off too.  I can account some of it down to anxiety though i suppose.  But i think i would prefer to just put up with it rather than take something then worry about it more, lol.xx

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print