Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
crap day...need some understanding (Read 5523 times)
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

crap day...need some understanding
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:14am

Hi,
I've been doing really well just lately-have managed to return to work 2 half days p/wk so far & am trying to let the anxiety wash over me etc, even when I get palpitations. Been having a lot of periods of chronic hyperventilation too but I'm coping.

Anyway, today I was driving back from work & the cars in front of me braked sharply, fortunately I'd left enough room but I still had to brake hard & the next thing I knew I was hit from behind & my car was sent further down the road from the impact. Fortunately, as I wasn't stationary I think it was less of an impact as the car wasn't damaged at all.
As soon as I was hit I felt the surge of adrenaline & my heart started banging away, I was shaking & hyperventilating, hands tingling etc etc. The poor guy who hit me was really apologetic & stayed with me until the police came.
I was panicking because I was scared that the adrenaline would cause my heart to beat irregularly or something. I've been having a lot of palps again just lately, even laughing can trigger them-great!
It took me an hour to calm down enough to be able to drive the 20 mins home because I was so fearful about my palpitations it meant that I couldn't switch the adrenaline off.
I got home & my husband couldn't have been less sympathetic, he just asked what had happened & if the car was damaged. All I wanted him to do was give me a hug & ask if I was OK.
I know because of my panic that I reacted more strongly but I can't help it, that's just how I am at the moment.
I just don't think he realises how brave you have to be sometimes just to go out the front door!!
I know my therapist is right when he says it's my issue but all I wanted was a little sympathy & some TLC, not too much to ask is it?
Anyway, just need to vent to people who get it. Days like this when I really miss my mum!
Thanks for listening.
Seffie xx

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Re: crap day...need some understanding
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2008, 4:47pm

I am sorry to hear of your day.  Take some extra time tonight and try to let yourself go and relax and release then tension.  You will probably be sore and extra tense from the impact. Even though you are fine sudden scares like that are hard to shake.  Anxious person or not. Husbands...hmmmm...no comment except that no one loves you like your Mother does..no matter where she is.

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2008, 1:47am

Oh what a fright that must have been - do you know what? I don't think your reaction is at all over the top and loads of people who don't have anxiety would have reacted just the same or even worse. so don't feel bad about that. some people have to be treated for shock even don't they? But you managed to calm yourself down enough to get home - so you did really well.

I don't agree with your therapist that this is just your problem - lots of things contribute to 'your problem'. yes of course it is you who is suffering, but if you think that your husband should have given you a hug and be more understanding, then that will only contribute to your feelings of anxiety and unease. It might help to have a calm, non-confrontational chat with him. It's really hard to do, beccause you don't want to cause a row, but if you could try... saying something like - 'I really need a hug right now.' when he accepts which I am sure he will, you could add how safe that makes you feel. In a way you need to teach him how much you feel you need protecting too. (especially now your mum is not here).

No-one knows how brave you have to be just to go about day to day stuff unless they have had this horrible anxiety-lark, so you can't expect him to understand that, but you can let him know how good it makes you feel when he does try to understand.

Great for going back to work - it sounds like you are doing really well. Look at the incident as a test for your anxiety. It has proved again that adrenaline does its stuff and that it is adrenaline that is causing horrible effects, not any illness or whatever. And see how quickly how you are going to go back to your everyday baseline level. I hope it is just a quick blip for you.

bead x

IP Logged
seffie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2008, 10:06am

Hi Beanie & Bead!
thanks so much for your support.
Am feeling a bit better today, it just shook me up abit & when you suffer from anxiety you just really don't need any more adrenaline do you?!
Kept going over it today but then told myself that it was yesterday & to stop mithering about it so I've focussed on other things.
Beanie-I liked your line about mothers, I also believe that, it was very comforting!
Bead-your advice was very helpful, I will talk to my husband about it soon. Fortunately we are usually able to talk & sort things out.
Thanks again for your kind support!
Seffie xx

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print