Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Resveratrol (Read 8195 times)
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Resveratrol
May 13th, 2008, 4:03am

RLR would you be so kind as so give us your input on this new information coming out about resveratrol.  I know that you are not too much of a supplement supporter, but what do you think about this in terms of cardiovascular health and longevity? Any interaction with statins? Thanks

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Resveratrol
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2008, 5:15am

Well, it's a good posting and I've been anticipating the question to appear at some point in time. Following the wave of some recent pubished literature on the compound reseveratrol, the vitamin and supplement industry has literally pounced upon the opportunity to sell resveratrol in pill form, sold as wine extract or similar ingredients, and from a marketing standpoint anticipates making millions upon millions of dollars.

Now here are the actual facts regarding reseveratrol that the vitamin folks hope you don't hear about.

First, little is known about the absorption and clearance of resveratrol, the identities of its metabolic products, or its effects on the liver.

Second, the research on resveratrol has focused on its short-term effects and has been dominated by in vitro studies on non-human models, specifically rats. No short or long-term studies in humans have been established that would support the findings observed in the animal models and you need to be aware that typically, animal research uses levels of testing that are far and away higher in concentration than you could reasonably consume as a human on a daily basis.

The health-food industry is claiming that resveratrol is the wine component responsible for the "French Paradox." While taking resveratrol pills is certainly safer than heavy consumption of red wine, supplementing with unproven substances is generally unwise. At this point, occasional use of red wine seems far more prudent.

The vitamin and supplement industry literally preys upon the human tendency to seek the "magic pill" that will restore health, vibrance and longevity. They will distort or even omit facts to whatever extent necessary for you to buy their products. Worse yet, the industry also knows that as a consequence of the placebo effect, they will garner tremendous support from claims by people that their products really do work. It's a tough thing to resist but, in all actuality, has absolutely no proven scientific factual support. It is generally accepted that the body requires certain nutrients, but this is not established by artificial means but rather through natural sources. The fact that people are incapable of measuring or determining their body's daily  levels of nutrients makes it a factor most pleasing to the vitamin industry, who regularly uses ploys to claim that most people are grossly deficient in nutrients. This is not true in any sense.

It's so very critical for you to understand that the human body is incredibly adaptable and only under extreme circumstances, does it show signs of dysregulation as a consequence of vitamin deficiency. In developed countries, we only see this in the geriatric communities because of extreme changes in diet and the fact that gastric acid production decreases with age, along with it something known as intrinsic factor that is needed for metabolism of vitamin B. To a lesser extent, we see some modest deficiency at best in certain very young children in low socioeconomic circumstances that don't eat a healthy diet. Other than that, it's just not the calamity that the vitamin folks try so hard to make you believe to be the case.

You also need to be aware that none of the vitamin or supplement products are federally regulated and oversight is marginal at best. Unlike the pharmaceutical industry, which has very strict oversight and regulatory requirements, the following critical components of efficacy(effectiveness), safety, product content and purity and interactions with pharmaceutical drugs is entirely absent from testing with regard to vitamins and supplements. In other words, you have only the word of the manufacturer regarding what you are swallowing and digesting.

So you might well expect that would be my response, but I have very low regard for any industry that carrys on the tradition of snake oil and potions by predating upon society in a very calculated manner.

The cold and hard fact is that you can empty your wallet on these products, but your general health and proclivity for developing disease or illness, together with projections of your longevity are most accurately defined by genetics. No pill can change or alter that fact at this point in time.

Eat a healthy and balanced diet. You can get all the resveratrol you need in a small glass of wine each evening, but be forewarned that a litle goes a long way from a positive health standpoint and trying to consume a lot more in the hopes of increasing the effect does you less good and can even promote harmful effects.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Alisonj
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Ontario Canada
Re: Resveratrol
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2008, 7:40pm

Thank you so much for the info on that! I had just bought some and there really isnt very much information out there on it. I cant stand the taste of wine so I thought I could take them instead but I think I would rather wait until more is known.
Thanks again!

If you cant see the light at the end of the tunnel..crawl down and turn it on yourself!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print