Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Constant ectopic beats (Read 7059 times)
Stimmo
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Constant ectopic beats
May 25th, 2008, 2:08am

Hi, I haven't posted here before as have only recently found this forum.  It is very comforting to be able to read other's experiences of this annoying problem.  I can go weeks without any ectopics and then out of the blue they are back with a vengeance.  

I am getting them constantly at the moment and although I try to ignore them it is very difficult especially when it feels that there are cricket balls dancing around in your chest.

I have suffered from them on and off for years but they are getting more frequent and the episodes are lasting longer.  I have had a 24 hour holter monitor a couple of years ago which picked up 350 and I also had a heart scan and all the other tests which all came back normal.  However I am probably getting thousands a day now.

My consultant doesn't like to treat these with any medication although my doctor has prescribed beta blockers to me in the past.  I made the mistake of looking up the side effects and didn't actually take them.

It is very draining when you get so many of these especially when I can't pinpoint any one particular thing that could have caused the episodes.

They are very bad at the moment but I have got to the stage where I don't feel that I can go to the doctor again.

Does anyone else get them in the thousands a day, these aren't just flutters, sometimes the heart actually feels like it is wobbling in my chest and you can see it when it happens.

Also I have just started jogging to try and get rid of these as I have heard that exercise can help.  It is quite scary as my heartbeat goes all over the place whilst I'm running and I have to walk instead.  I walk about 4-5 miles a day anyway and have done for the past 4 years as I have a dog but I thought that maybe I need to do exercise that gets your heartrate higher.  Is this the right thing to do?

I would be very greatful for any thoughts on these concerns and wish all you fellow sufferers the best.   Smiley

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Constant ectopic beats
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2008, 10:40am

Well, typically the presentation of ectopics or palpitations such as those you are experiencing very often has an underlying basis in GI problems, ie IBS, constipation, GERD and even just chronic irritation of the GI tract lining. In the presence of trapped air or gas in the lumen of the intestines or bowel, sufficient stimulation can occur to cause a vagal response that in turn, you sense as a palpitation.

It's important to avoid stimulant products such as caffeine or tea, both of which can also irritate the lining of the GI tract. Eat small meals with light snacks in between and do not drink a lot of liquids during your meals, but rather afterwards. People with anxiety typically perform aerophagia, which is the swallowing of copious amounts of air that can become trapped in the stomach and intestines. The subsequent pressure can indeed produce a vagal response and palpitations is sufficient enough.

Efforts to calm matters relating the GI tract correspondingly produce diminished palpitations.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
saab

Re: Constant ectopic beats
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2008, 2:03pm

Hi, Stimmo. At times I have had thousands a day. Mine appeared after a major operation. I would have a missed beat every third or fourth beat in sessions that would at times last for hours - so, doing the sums, at that time I must have had thousands a day. That went on for about two years.

They are now down to a few a minute for short periods and appear every few weeks or so. I can't put my finger on why/how they reduced or why they return. It doesn't really seem to be stress or gastric related.

It is fantastic that you can exercise so much - that will really be doing your heart good. I have visited other boards where people have had thousands a day for 20 years or more and are still fine - the general gist of it all seems to be that it is the type of palpitation, not the frequency which matters. Doctors on these forums have responded to them with the same view of RLR and my GP - if you have had all the tests and your heart is structurally fine, then you are okay. It is something you have to live with - which is of course far easier said than done, especially when you feel them.

I see our practise nurse every six months for an hrt check-up so I can mention any changes then, but you could always just ring and speak to your GP if it will put your mind at rest about the increase in frequency - that is what they are there for. I did read that beta blockers are often given more to reduce the anxiety of heart palps than the to actually regulate the rhythm.

Do you get palps during exercise or just when you are winding down? It may be that you are taking things a bit too quickly with the jogging - it is quite a step up from walking to actually running. There is a good site about starting to jog here:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I hope things improve soon.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print