Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help someone!! RLR?....got test results back (Read 6147 times)
arik2984
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

san antonio texas
help someone!! RLR?....got test results back
Jul 25th, 2008, 7:53pm

so i have had palpitations since i was in middle school....never caused any problems and i have always played sports......after high school they started to come more often...now at 24 they seem to come alot more....i have seen a cardiologist and had an echocardiogram and a holter done....today they called to confirm my monday appt...and she gave me my results...my echo was normal...but my halter was abnormal! what does this mean....does this mean abnormal is something serious?....helpppp! Sad

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: help someone!! RLR?....got test results back
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2008, 5:44am

Well, I'm afraid you'll have to be far more specific about your holter test in order for me to tell you anything at all. What were the specific notations regarding the test that rendered it abnormal?

You also need to relax. The holter test, like many diagnostic tools, will render an "abnormal" classification if any of the parameters in the database are violated for any reason. It doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong.

Again, we need to know a great deal of specifics here in order to provide you with an explanation. Also, please realize that the forum is open so when you provide results of medical tests, you are publishing them to an open website. If this bothers you for any reason, then you may want to use the private messaging system available on the forum. It's simply important to remind you that privacy issues where your medical records are concerned do not extend to any publication you extend to the forum.

Otherwise, once I have more details, I can help sort out the reason for the abnormal declaration.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
arik2984
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

san antonio texas
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2008, 6:08am

well i got my test results back yesterday and it turns out that my doctors receptionist made a mistake! she read my results wrong...the cardiologist said that both my halter and my echo came back normal...he said that i do have situational palpitations.....but i asked him if they are only situational then why do i get them when i rest as well.. he said that my heart does have some extra heart beats as well which are totally normal....he said that most people dont feel them...but in my case i can. He said that they are completely normal and that i am fine and have nothing to worry about. He didnt seem concerned at all....I even asked what if i put the wrong time down on the journal for my events that happen while the holter is on? he said that the machine scans the test for any abnormalities besides the ones that i have already written down...He said the machine found nothing concerning. So i am a little at ease. Its just hard to believe that what i feel sometimes is "normal".....i just dont want the md to have overlooked anything?! he said he sees no concern to test any further....i hope he is right!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2008, 4:21pm

Okay, negative test results literally mean negative. Please read my other postings concerning this issue. Diagnostic equipment is based upon algorithms of actual disease so if the test returns negative, it literally means no disease is present.

Many people come to believe that they may be the one in a million that something has been overlooked. This is not the case. The symptoms you are experiencing have no underlying basis in heart disease or similar condition, a fact strongly supported by your test results.

You're going to be just fine. My suggestion is to address the anxiety disorder that may be present and certainly capable of producing physical symptoms such as those experienced.

IP Logged
arik2984
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

san antonio texas
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2008, 11:54am

i guess i just need to start to accept the fact that i am okay..i guess i was just worried because i had read an article that said 54% of people that are told they are fine and have nothing to worry about heart wise end up having found something serious after further testing and getting a second opinion....but my doc doesnt think further testing is necessary.....i have looked up stuff and noticed that atrial fibrillation matches my palps......but idk.....i am just still freaking myself out even after negative results...when the holter was on it didnt seem like my heart skipped as many beats as it usually does, so maybe there wasnt enough for the machine to diagnose something serious....i have no idea what to think!? i just want to be okay....and not to worry that there is something being overlooked. Undecided

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2008, 5:28pm

Okay, your posting exemplifies a very critical point that I'd like to share with you and the other members. Many people who are frightened and worried about the palpitations and other symptoms they are experiencing begin reading about various conditions or diseases and their associated symptoms. This can be a double-edged sword for obvious reasons.

Human physiology is extremely complex and you simply can head for the nearest website and read about symptoms that are subsequently determined to be "similar" or "like" your own. It is by far not that straight-forward and a background in medicine is almost always necessary to properly discriminate the various factors either being discussed in medical literature or on medical health websites that offer general information.

In answer to your question, you do not have atrial fibrillation. The type of palpitations you are experiencing do not have an origin from within the heart itself. You are using cause and effect thinking in order to rationalize that if the symptom is associated with the heart, then the cause is the heart as well. This is absolutely an innacurate approach to the circumstances and if medicine were that simplistic, it would not require such a lengthy education and residency in order to be deemed competent to practice.

It's also important to re-read your posting to realize that your anxiety over this matter and the subjective interpretations of what you believe may be happening during the episodes is causing you to establish your own rules about how the diagnostic equipment may operate or provide data. The holter monitor does not require some type of high voltage occurance to be able to detect the problem.

The trouble is that when patients create the rationale that their heart is in trouble, then until the symptoms abate they will continuously seek out an underlying physical cause and pursue it to sometimes great lengths because they feel compelled to believe that something has absolutely been overlooked.

Well, it has. But not in the context you might think. If diagnostic tests consistently reveal the absence of disease, then the patient must at some point come to terms with the fact that they are misinterpreting what is taking place and therefore must try to discover and better understand what is actually happening rather than what their gut instinct is telling them.

I'm glad that you want to be okay, because in fact you are okay. It is your misinterpretations and rationale that is causing you to believe otherwise. Your heart is fine and the tests prove it. As for reading somewhere that 54% of people are told they're fine when in fact they're not . . . . .well, please feel free to forward me the actual citation so that I can examine it. To suggest that this information is in any way accurate is saying that more than half of all people being told that they're fine are actually quite ill and none of the diagnostic tests were able to detect the problem. Those are odds that are not only questionable, they're unsupported in any manner whatsoever.

You need to pause and consider whether it is your interpretation of what is happening that may be in error. Only then will you begin to open up to the idea that something else is causing the symptoms and you can begin to move forward in determining ways to either diminish or resolve their occurance.

You're going to be just fine.

IP Logged
arik2984
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

san antonio texas
Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2008, 9:23am

so then why did i feel so weird the day i stepped out of the elevator..that is the ONLY time i had ever felt really wierd..or like you stated "numb"....will i ever pass out from an episode like that..??? my second question is...even when i try to keep my mind off of these things they seem to still happen! i can be watching tv...and boom ...there goes one!...what do you suggest as far as distracting myself from them? i just get terrified of passing out...i just want to get back to the normal healthy person i was and felt like when these things didnt seem to be my main concern from day to day. =(. Sad Sad

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2008, 4:10pm

Many circumstances can cause brief changes in blood pressure and autonomic function in general. People with anxiety disorders commonly sense changes that they misinterpret as something very bad about to happen to them. Fear only causes the symptoms to become even more prominent and panic thresholds or fainting episodes are not uncommon.

It's important to realize that many folks can experience light-headedness or slight variations in stability when exiting an elevator or escalator and a lot of times it has to do with feedback from the vestibular network in the ears. Brief changes in blood pressure and other autonomic functions can create immediate concern in a person who doesn't understand what is taking place. It is most often construed as a sign of physical illness or disease of some type.

This suspicion often causes vigilence by the person to every subtle function by the body, ie heart rate, vision, breathing, strange sensations on the surface of the skin or internally and other oddities.

What results from this vigilence is health anxiety and the more the person senses strange and unfamiliar symptoms, the more obsessed they become with trying to determine what is going wrong. In fact, nothing is likely wrong at all and your attention to your physiological functions is probably the only aspect of what is making you think something is wrong.

Remember that the human body is extremely dynamic, meaning that changes take place every second in response to both internal needs and changes in the external environment. The fact that you had a single experience is simple testimony that you are misinterpreting it as something bad. It was simply the body responding to inappropriate feedback from the senses, ie the occulo-vestibular network etc, as a consequence of motion within a context where some of the senses are incapable of correct perception. In other words, an elevator does not have any windows or visual reference by which your body can make adjustments based upon visual reference while in motion. This is very often the cause of motion sickness.

So my suggestion here to is move away from focusing on that event as the starting point for something more serious. It is not the case here and your worries are unfounded. It might help to visit websites that can educate you further on the occulo-vestibular system and how the body uses feedback to create changes within the body, what causes motion sickness and the range of symptoms experienced by many people under the influence of sensory feedback or the lack of it in certain cases.  

You'll be just fine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print