Send Topic Print
Palps and medication (Read 7813 times)
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
Palps and medication
Jul 29th, 2008, 8:37pm

Thanks for the reply on prilocec.
I take Benicar hct40/12.5 and a beta blocker called carvedilol. One was for blood pressure and the other started out for the palps but now it is because my blood pressure goes up sometimes. I also take 20Simvastin, Armor Thyroid 120, prilocec. I had been taking magnizium to help with the palps. I have had an stress echo, nuclear scan one year ago and they said everything was ok. I'm now wearing a holter because these so called meno palps drive me crazy. I'm 2 years post  and still fighting pvc' and once in a while pac's, let us not forget the etopic beats. once in a while I get a electric surge with them. I have a 9 year old son to raise and these things are stealing my life for fear I won't be here to raise him. I'm 56 and yes I had him late in life but he is a blessing.
When I workout or walk my chest feels tight, is that the beta blockers?
What should I do. I have to have them now because of the BP.
Will these palps ever go away? I thought it was menopause  but now I just don't know anything except they scare me.
I hope this makes some kind sence. :'(
Glen

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Palps and medication
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2008, 5:05pm

Okay, this question appeared on my private message system so I will make an abbreviated response here for the open forum members.

Beta blockers work by reducing cardiac force, which correspondingly reduces blood pressure. It also, however, capitates the maximum threshold of the heart under exertion, meaning that you will experience early fatigue and limited endurance.

The holter isn't really going to provide further diagnostic pearls that the nuclear test didn't reveal. Negative tests are negative and translate to the absence of heart disease.

One of the concerns that I did not mention on the private message was the thyroid medication you mention as part of your medicine regimen. Can you share with me why you were prescribed this medication and when you've undergone the most recent thyroid profile?

Let me also provide greater reassurance here that the type of palpitations you are experiencing are entirely harmless and will never cause you to suffer any type of cardiac event, nor will they shorten your life span by even as much as a minute. The events are being generated from outside the heart via the vagus nerve and are not an indication of heart disease or problems.

Understand that the sensation does not mean that the heart is at any type of risk to stop beating whatsoever. It is not an interruption of the heart beat, but rather a superimposition of an additional signal upon the normal sinus rhythm of the heart by the vagus nerve. This is a consequence of anxiety disorder that is elevated to the extent that physical symptoms associated with the fight or flight response are being experienced. Nothing more.

You're going to be just fine and you'll see that young boy graduate, get married, have children and many other fascinating events. The palpitations place you in absolutely no danger of missing out on those events and more.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2008, 7:12pm

My Dr put me on nexium and after a few years he said I could use prilocec. I did not have reflux but because they could not find the reason for my chest pain they determined it must be reflux. Of course now I do have it because the medicine stops the acid and if I try to not take it after a couple a days I am on fire! Trying to ween off slowly.
I just had a thyroid pannel done and they switched me to armour thyroid form levothyroxin, befor that I was on synthroid, but BCBS said I have to take generic.
Thank you for your help and I hope this answer your question.
Please forgive my mix up on gender.
Glen Embarrassed

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2008, 3:51pm

Okay, it sounds like only part of your problem is being addressed by your healthcare professional and I'm constrained to point out here that electing to symptomatically treat chest pain with proton pump inhibitors like Nexium or Prilosec even though heart disease has been ruled out, does not in any way target the cause of your gastrointestinal problem.

Hyperacidity can arise for a number of reasons and my suggestion here would be to obtain a referral to be evaluated by a gasteroenterologist so that it can be determined whether the use of these drugs is properly targeting and treating the problem.

Incidentally, magnesium supplements will do nothing to intervene in the frequency or intensity of the type of palpitations you are experiencing. While a temporary placebo effect has been demonstrated in some patients, it is not having an effect upon the heart. Claims of magnesium deficiency are entirely unsupported by many who claim to have the condition and these supplements and other vitamins are actually very caustic on the lining of the stomach, doing more to exacerbate problems than diminish them.

If you are experiencing GI-related discomfort and are taking a multitude of vitamins and or supplements hoping that it will bring relief, then it may well be one of the sources for the highly acidic condition. Once the lining of the stomach is irritated it can take several weeks to settle down and even though the mucosal lining of the stomach and intestinal tract undergo a sort of re-lining process, the condition can become chronic if the affected person is unwittingly consuming products or establishing a diet that is directly counterproductive.

I don't believe you effectively answered my inquiry regarding specifically why you are taking synthetic thyroid hormone replacement. In other words, what were the very first symptoms which led you to be evaluated and treated for this condition? Or was it discovered through routine laboratory testing and simply treated?

Again, I would suggest an evaluation by a gasteroenterologist to determine any specific cause for your GI discomfort that may be better treated than simply using proton pump inhibitors to decrease symptoms.

IP Logged
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2008, 8:07pm

Yhe reson I am on thyroid medication is because 17 years ago I was so hypothyroid that they said I alomost died. I went into the emergent center for a rash on my face and the Dr ther said I think we have a bigger problem, just from the way I looked and thats when all the testing started.
Today I have had 2 very bad episode of erregularheart beats. They caused a funny feeling in my abdomen area between my rib cage and it lasted for over an hour and the skips got less often but they are still happening. It caused a lot of stress and my blood pressure sky rocked. I put a call into the Dr which took an hour before I heard from him and all he said was they didn't have my halter results back yet and if I felt worse go to the emergency room. How do I convince myself that this is not life threating? It feels so awful and at times it last so long. How do I not let anxiety take over and stay out of the ER.
Can't afford it!!!!
Glen

IP Logged
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2008, 8:09pm

Sorry about all the type o's but I 'm just not feeling very well.
Glen

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 8:22am

Thank you for the explanation regarding your history. The reason for my inquiry had to do with the length of time you had been under thyroid hormone replacement. Your circumstances certainly warrant it, but in cases of newly prescribed thyroid treatment, symptoms can include palpitations and or tachycardia. You've been on therapy too long for this to necessarily be a factor.

My opinion here is that your symptoms are related to the GI problem and anxiety disorder and although not requisite, it's extremely common for persons with GI complaints to experience palpitations. So I would suggest that a referral to a gastroenterologist would be of benefit in determining the underlying cause for your GI symptoms that are likely inducing the palpitations.

The hormonal changes that accompany menopause are also well known in the ability to produce benign palpitations and other disturbances. It's also common to develop health anxiety as a consquence of these changes, the symptoms of which cause fear and worry that something else more serious may be occurring.

Your echocardiogram and nuclear scan were clear as little as a year ago and it's important to realize that heart disease takes many years to develop, so it's not going to arise in such a very brief time. The type of palpitations you are experiencing are being generated by the vagus nerve. They are not a sign of heart disease or any indication that the heart is going to suddenly stop beating or performing. The sensations that sometimes appear with palpitations can be fear-invoking but it's important to remain calm by understanding exactly what is taking place during the events.

You can think of this kind of palpitation like someone calling the wrong number on their telephone. It's an unintentional electrical signal and nothing more. It doesn't damage the phone or the person answering the call. The same holds true for the heart. The vagus nerve is sending a signal at an inappropriate time, superimposing it over the normal sinus rhythm of the heart. Understand that it will never cause the heart to stop beating or result in some type of cardiac event. It's not in that category whatsoever.

I would suggest that you turn your attention away from something like heart disease or cardiac event and begin reading about the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems associated with the fight or flight response. It's important for you to understand how this works in order to realize how it can be playing a very major role in your present symptoms. Your symptoms are not the result of heart disease, but rather dysregulation of the nervous system.

Incidentally, it should interest you to know that in over 40 years of practice as a physician, I've never even once heard of a patient suffering any type of cardiac event as a consequence of the type of palpitations you are experiencing. Not even once. So take a breath and try to relax.

You're going to be fine. We'll talk more.

IP Logged
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 2:56pm

How do we begin to thank you  for what you are doing. I love my Dr but they never have time to truley listen to us and how scary it all is.
Thanks so much for the time and consideration you take for all of us . From what I read we all are scared. Thanks for your calming voice of reason.
Glen

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2008, 2:54pm

Well, thank you for the kind words. Indeed, being scared is a great deal of what is causing the symptoms to be present. Please read my latest response to Karen03 and it will better explain the concept of being scared and what that emotion has to do with physiological symptoms.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print