Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Concern due to family history (Read 7503 times)
Alisonj
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Ontario Canada
Concern due to family history
Aug 10th, 2008, 6:01pm

I am a 32yr old female. I have had palps for many many years. I also suffer anxiety and panic.
My father had a triple bypass at 30 and died at age 40, he had high BP and cholestrol.
I have had three babies and with each one after I gave birth I developed severe high BP. With each pregnancy I was hospitalized until they could get things under control with meds. My last baby was May 07 and I left the hospital on 4 different BP meds. I am now three months med free.
I have had my cholestrol checked and while the total, trig, and LDL are all ok my HDL is very low at 37. I eat well, exercise and consume healthy fats etc so I cant figure out why my HDL is so low. I also take Fish oil supplements and CoEnzyme Q10 and a B50 Complex.
I also experience tachycardia during my pregnancies. My heart rate was 130 resting. It was awful. I have had holter monitors, echos, event monitors, EKG's and more. I also had cardiac enzyme tests and my tropin(sp) levels came back elevated twice and they kept me in the hospital overnight and gave me a stress test which came back ok.
Now my pulse is usually in the 50's. I feel palps alot. I am terrfied because of my family history and what has happened to me in the past but my doctor does not address my concerns at all.
If you could provide any insight I would be very grateful.
I am 5'5" and weigh 125 so within my right BMI.

If you cant see the light at the end of the tunnel..crawl down and turn it on yourself!
  IP Logged
Alisonj
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Ontario Canada
Re: Concern due to family history
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2008, 5:11pm

Anyone at all? RLR?

If you cant see the light at the end of the tunnel..crawl down and turn it on yourself!
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2008, 8:50pm

Okay, pre-eclampsia is quite common and since you don't indicate that you presently have hypertension, then it would be non-contributory at this point. While there can be some complications of pre-eclampsia, I would suggest it has proven to be limited in your case and would not have caused any type of cardiovascular damage, if that's your concern.

I'm uncertain why they would have drawn troponin levels unless you were complaining of angina. Realize that troponin levels can be elevated due to inflammation as well, which was far more likely the case for you at that time. I would not think your history in this regard to be contributory to any present concerns regarding risk factors.

As for concordance for heart disease, this is not necessarily derived through a genetic factor known as anticipation, which simply means that gene mutations are sometimes amplified in offspring to the extent that the subsequent complications are magnified. While rare cases are observed, this is not the case where you're concerned because your medical history would have demonstrasted markers for concern.

The total cholesterol/HDL ratio is more indicative of cardiovascular disease than TC (total cholesterol). The amount of HDL and LDL in the blood are added together, this number for all practical purposes, indicates the amount of total cholesterol. Therefore, if your HDL count is low the LDL count will account for the remainder of the total. For women, the ratio of TC/HDL is 4.0 or below.

Low HDL is not an absolute predictor of cardiovascular disease. I would say that a stress test and nuclear scan at 40 would be prudent, but I don't think family risk factors alone put you in the category you might think.

Familial hypoalphalipoproteinemia (low HDL) is genetic. I would simply view this as a risk factor, to be weighed against your efforts already described to combat it. It doesn't necessarily equate with cardiovascular disease. We find that other factors seem to be requsite for atherosclerosis to develop, so contiue good habits and although you don't mention smoking, if you're a smoker then we definitely see a link between this habit and both heart disease and hypertension.

You'll be fine. I believe what is happening here is that the unfortunate circumstances of your father are creating an albatross over your head and you're likely experiencing some form of constant ruminations and subsequent anxiety. Again, it's a risk factor, but does not tell the whole story and it would be suitable to visit your primary care physician or cardiologist every 2 years for follow-up.

Other than that, I would take a really deep breath and relax. You're in no danger. Go buy a new outfit using your husband's credit card and go out with the girls. You're going to be just fine. We'll talk more if you need to and sounds like you have a wonderful family and life ahead of you.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Alisonj
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Ontario Canada
Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2008, 9:00pm

Thank you so much.
My fathers death defintely instilled major fear in me and I worry about every little detail in regards to my cardiovascular health. When they drew the tropin I was having chest pains at the time which turned out to be pancreatitis. I have been a non smoker for 11 years now which I am happy about but do wish I had never smoked.
Not knowing my dads full circumstances is a huge stressor. I dont know why he got sick so early in life. He had his first heart attack at 29. I have no way of finding out unforunately and it haunts me. With the pre-e the hypertension remained for approx 1 year after I had the babies. My BP is now usually 110/70 or lower. The odd time it is 117/75 but never higher than that.
I am so thankful for your response and would love to know what all I can do (supplements etc) to ensure my cardiovascular health.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2008, 7:23pm

Well, my opinions of the vitamin and supplement industry are not pleasant ones and it's a rather predatory enterprise at the least, outright deceiving at most. Most people who consume these products benefit mostly from the placebo effect that typically occurs. The body can only absorb so much of any particular vitamin or supplement, with the majority of the product passing as waste due to much of the tablet or capsule being composed of binder material.

Eat a healthy, balanced diet, exercise regularly and watch your weight. It doesn't have to be ideal, just within the healthy range for your BMI. Your body will absorb all the vitamins and minerals needed from a diverse diet and there is absolutely no clear evidence to support that people who regularly take vitamins live longer. Oh, the vitamin industry will cry foul and tell you different, but the real truth is that most people who regularly take vitamins also just tend to be people who also practice a healthy lifestyle. But that doesn't mean that vitamins are responsible. The only thing that gets healthier is the stock portfolio of the vitamin industry.

I would suggest placing the matter of your father behind you. Although you don't medical records, because of his age my conjecture would be that this was more due to perhaps a childhood illness like rheumatic fever that damaged the valves of the heart, or that he congenitally demonstrated left ventricular hypertrophy, or even that he suffered from something known as anticipation, which means that a genetic mutation from his parents produced an extremely defective gene that resulted in gross hypercholesterolemia. That sort of thing usually stops at some point because the gene only becomes more defective such that offspring affected either terminate prior to birth or very soon afterwards. I would say that the trouble stopped with your father and athough unfortunate, has not crossed over.

Trouble of the nature described at age 29 is not something you need to worry about having acquired. As I said, it's highly unusual and evidence is not hard to trace. If you have no other risk factors and your tests have returned normal, then it's my privilege to inform you that you can take a really deep sigh of relief and relax.

You'll be just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Alisonj
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Ontario Canada
Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2008, 9:18pm

Thank you so much for your reply. It has been a long hard road but I think the time to recover and accept is now and you have started the process for me.
Thanks again Smiley

IP Logged
DianaJJ
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Southern California
Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2008, 7:07pm

Hi Alisonj,

My HDL was very low also...about 40 with my total being 170.  I started eating more nuts, especially raw almonds and walnuts and now my HDL is over 60.  I'm pretty sure that's what changed since it was only thing I did different lately.

You might give it a try....nuts are very healthy so it won't hurt.

DianaJJ

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print