Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cardiolipin, IGM..........RLR, please read. (Read 7786 times)
Karen03

I Love YaBB 2!

Cardiolipin, IGM..........RLR, please read.
Aug 20th, 2008, 8:53pm

My Mom has informed me that I need to have a Cardiolipin, IGM test done.  Her number is off the charts!  From what I understand, 1-9 is normal, her number is 100 !  She said this is what has caused her bloodclots, and why she can't have the knee surgery she desperately needs.  From what I have read, this sounds very bad.

She's afraid it might be hereditary and I better get it checked-out.  Do you know if in fact the Cardiolipin, IGM is hereditary?  I'm afraid if I have the test and it comes out positive, that I will live in fear every single day of my life!

I have inherited her thyroid disease and we both have low Protein S numbers, 56 (though our Protein C Activities are very good).  I'm so afraid of this test and the results.  

I would greatly appreicate your feedback.

Thank you so much!
Karen

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Cardiolipin, IGM..........RLR, please read.
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2008, 6:21pm

Okay, take a breath and relax. I realize your mother's concern for your welfare, but as I've stated many times before, the tendency to make subjective conclusions about medical issues can rapidly create monsters under the bed, so to speak.

Cardiolipin IGM antibodies can appear for many reasons, sometimes the consequence of certain prescription drugs. I don't know your mother's medical history, but elevated cardiolipin antibodies can be related to the predisposition of thrombotic events, among other things such as Lupus and yes, it has even been seen in persons with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. It can also occur asymptomatically in people as they age as well.

If not already planned, the test needs to be repeated in about 6 weeks to determine whether levels have remained consistent, together with other diagnostic testing to rule out other causes.

There is no association between your mother's lab values and any concordance for a similar condition where you're concerned. In other words, you haven't inherited it. Cardiolipin abnormalities in of themselves aren't necessarily hereditary, but rather the underlying cause in some cases.

It's also important that you don't paint yourself into a corner by being afraid of both the test and the consequences. You've also placed irrational association between elevated cardiolipin values and its significance. You need to relax. You've obviously worked yourself into a frenzy over a matter that has no basis in fact. This is where the breakdown begins for folks with health anxiety disorder. Since you don't know the status, anything is possible and typically the worst is contemplated.

The suggestion here is to have your mother's test repeated in six weeks to determine whether the values are consistent. Until that time, and until other tests have been performed to discern whether a specific underlying cause is responsible, then the only proper course that you can proceed is to place yourself out of the equation.

You're going to be just fine. Remember never to leap to conclusions, but rather take small steps. The truth typically lies far short of your original projection and far less ominous.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Karen03

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2008, 7:39pm

Thank you once again for your response, obviously my rational tends to go right out the window!  I fear everything these days.

I should have been more thorough when describing my Mother's circumstances.  She has been tested over the past ten years, her numbers range from 75 all the way to 150.  It was because of emergency gallbladder surgery that she recently had, that she decided to tell me about this condition (and her fear that I might have it).  My Mother does have Hoshimoto's disease.  I have hypothyroidism (I've been on Synthroid for twenty years), though I've never been told that I have Hoshimoto's, perhaps they're one in the same.  My Mother is afraid that I will be predisposed to bloodclots, hence urging me to have this test.

When I saw a doctor a few years ago, he learned that cancer ran in my father's side of the family.  Being that I'm Jewish and my family is from Russia (and Cuba, now there's a mixture!), he wanted me to have genetic testing done.  He said because of my religion and origin, I may be at higher risk for some cancers.  Well, I opted not to do that.  I figure if I test positive, what would I even do about it.

I really do miss the days of youth and blissful ignorance Smiley  I miss my days as Prom Queen, I miss backpacking through Europe in my 20's with not a care in the world (or health worry to be had), and I miss being in my 30s, when my biggest worry was getting my baby to give up the pacifier!  Being in my 40's, it's all about heart palps and shifting from one doctor to another, whether or not I should have genetic testing, and if I am predisposed to a bloodclotting disorder.  At what point did I change from being a free-spirited, easy-going, incredibly confident woman, to that of a fearful, whiney, paranoid person?!

All right, enough venting and self-pitty.  I just meant to enlighten you somewhat on family history, didn't mean to go on and on............

Thanks again for everything!
Karen

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 5:25am

Okay, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is not the same as hypothyroidism and is more like the oppositie. Hashimoto's disease is an auto-immune process wherein antibodies are mistakingly produced against a healthy thyroid, attacking the tissues. The symptoms are associated with hyperactivity of the thyroid and not less activity. Since you have hypothyroidism, you likely know the consequences and I'll refrain from explaining here.

As for the review of your life, you're very close to discovering the fork in the road between a life engaged and one of resignation. The absolute only difference between doing it at 20 and doing it at 40 is your perspective. Nothing more.

I'll share a little secret with you; at nearly 84 I still sneak out early in the morning and head over to the beach to walk on the rocks that were placed there to prevent errosion of the beach head. And I still act on the impulse to jump up late at night, often past midnight, and head out to the store to get a favorite snack. And I still play silly games with my staff, shoot rubberbands off the end of my finger, wear funny ties, play the guitar, get in my car and just head out of town without a map, go antique shopping, take my staff and friends out for dinner and dancing and on and on and on.

The enjoyment of life is not something that is simply afforded you, but rather you must endlessly chase after it as you did when you were young. So many people measure their lives as though it were some sort of countdown. They become rigidly fixated to patterns of life that they feel are prudent or to be expected by others.

The ironic thing about the fear of death is that it only brings it closer in mind, creating vigilence to everything that could possibly represent it's imminent arrival.

Life is not meant to be measured in years, but rather experiences. If you're not planning every day to experience something in life, then the only thoughts left in the coffer are those dealing with death. It's purely a matter of choice to either spend it or waste it, but either way you only get one opportunity.

I see folks vigilently playing the lottery all day long, freely risking their money in the hopes of a great reward but wouldn't give a single thought to risking a change in their life if it offered the same prospect.

All you have to do is stare down at your feet and take the first step in the direction you wish to proceed. From then on, it's pure magic.

You'll be just fine. You have a long life ahead still, so decide whether you want to spend it simply waiting.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 6:21am

What great advice you gave RLR.  I think it's great you still do all those things!  You are more spontaneous than I am, and I am 31!  haha..  You are right though.  Life is not to be measured in years, but rather life "experiences." We only get one shot at this, so we may as well enjoy it.  Sure there will be bumps in the road that throw us back, but we must think about what is important and not about all our "what if's."

My husband tells me, "Stephanie, one day you are going to wake up and be 80 years old and will ask yourself WHY you spent all those years worrying and will regret you wasted those years away."  He's right!  And you are right too in the advice and life experiences you provide here.

I look back on my past 10 years and a lot of that was worrying.  Worrying about dying when I had panic attacks, to before the MS Dx, to other ailments I "thought" I had and now the PVC's.  What I thought was death around the corner, simply was not obviously, yet I spent all that time worrying.  People with anxiety disorder die thousands of deaths in their "minds."  it's sad really....  We are not fully living because our fears are keeping us from doing so.

Anyway, RLR thanks for that posting.  I know it was meant for Karen03, but it was helpful for me to read that!

Steff

IP Logged
Karen03

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 6:37pm

I waited a few days to reply because I wanted to really absorb this information, and to gather my thoughts (to the best of my ability).

Perspective, now that's something that has become completely distorted as I find myself in the throws of this health anxiety.  Having said that, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't appreciate the incredible life that I've been blessed with.  I've been married to my husband for almost twenty years, and I do believe he's the greatest humanbeing I have ever known (or ever will know).  With each year that passes, it just gets better and better (and to think, I met this man on a beach when he arrogantly walked over to me wearing a bright- green, hideous, speedo and had the nerve to insult my beautiful, pink, polka-dot bikini!).  We have a son that I live each and every day for.  I couldn't imagine having a better mother/son relationship, he's my sweet baby (though he's twelve now).  We are fortunate enough to travel the world, and live in our own bit of paradise.

I feel that a contributing factor to my health anxiety is the fact that I feel too blessed.  I don't know what I ever did in my life to deserve such goodness, and I fear that it will be taken away from me at any moment.  When I first experienced the heart palpitations, I thought to myself, this is it, I'm not going to be around much longer to appreciate what I've got.  I knew it was too good to last.  After that, the vicious cycle began.  More heart palps, anxiety, fear of the palps, panic attacks, anxiety, palps, etc. etc. etc.  From one doctor to the next, I was awaiting the inevitable diagnosis.  Obviously, that never came, however; the fear has been constantly fueled and the health anxiety now plays a siginificant part of my life (and quality of life).
Rather than enjoying each and every day, I wonder if it will be my last.  Meanwhile, time is quickly going by and I'm wasting a great deal of it.  For every friend that tells me they envy my marriage and the family ties I have, it's another reason to panic and fear the worst.
RLR, you obviously have a very fulfulling life and know how to enjoy every moment of it.  You don't question it, you live for the moment and I have no doubt that every person in your life celebrates living as well.  Your 84 and I'm 44, there's no comparrison in quality of lives, yours is far superior to mine.  In other words, I know that age has nothing to do with how we choose to live, I just fear that I have lost the ability to take control of my life.  If I could live life as you do, then I know I would have reached the greatest success possible.  
No, I don't want to live life simply waiting, I just want to learn how to live life once again.
Thank you for the wonderful insight, and trust me, I will do my best to apply it.
Thanks again!
Karen

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print