Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shaking sensation in head (Read 5959 times)
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
shaking sensation in head
Sep 18th, 2008, 12:51pm

Does anyone know what on earth I am talking about when I say I get a shaking feeling across the top of my head and down forehead??  It is nothing visible at all, so I'm afraid its something to do with my brain and something is just going to go bang!  Sometimes it feels like a quivering sensation, sometimes a more definite shaking.  Not constant, but too often for me to feel happy about it!  It does get very scary, especially if I'm alone.  I did mention it to my doctor when I saw her.....she said it was 'unusual' but didn't have any answer.  She probably thinks I'm off my rocker!  Please, someone say I'm not mad - or about to drop dead...
rosekay

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: shaking sensation in head
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2008, 3:05pm

Well, you're certainly not about to drop dead of all things. Remember that the brain itself does not have any nerve endings and therefore no sensation is felt in the brain tissues. Whenever you feel spasms, a shaking sensation or even pain, realize that it involves the musculature and vascular processes outside the dura of the brain.

While persons who experience migraine headaches for instance do experience pain, it is referred pain and occurs due events occurring within brain tissue and associated vasculature. So you can relax from the standpoint that your sensations represent something wrong with the brain in the way of cancer etc. It's not the case.

Your symptoms are most likely associated with muscular spasms or muscle fatigue. Sometimes people who remain in a fixed position for relatively long periods, at the computer for instances, can develop fatigue and muscular tension that is not readily apparent but becomes chronic after a certain time.

I would not consider your symptoms to represent any sort of underlying pathology.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Re: shaking sensation in head
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:05am

Thank you very much for your reply, it has helped a lot.  It is such a peculiar feeling when it happens that I really couldn't work out what was going on.  Didn't like it though!  I am having trouble with my neck/top of back, for which I am seeing a physio (posture!) so maybe that all has something to do with it - and I am having a lot of stress in various ways at the moment, which won't help I don't suppose.....
You have reassured me though, and I'm very grateful!  Many thanks
Rosekay

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print