Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR, you're going to be mad at me for this worry:( (Read 3141 times)
Karen03

I Love YaBB 2!

RLR, you're going to be mad at me for this worry:(
Nov 07th, 2008, 7:05am

Dear RLR,

I haven't been here for awhile so that's a good thing, right?? Smiley  Okay, this is what has been on my mind recently and causing much worry.  To refresh your memory, I have seen countless Cardiologists and Electrophysiologists, all of which argue with one another.  Half of them believe I have runs of SVT, the other half can't determine that for sure.  Eithor way, the palps that I get are seconds (or possibly a minute or so), where my heart beats well over 100 bpm.  I'll eithor cough or take deep breaths and then it will get back on track.

Anyway, two television shows I can't stay away from are 'House' and 'Grey's Anatomy'.  I know, I know, not such a good idea!  My question (and concern) is this......when a patient, on any given episode, goes into SVT, the characters scream out "he/she is in SVT, get in here STAT!!!".  I've been told that if I do have SVT, it's no big deal.  How come on television, they make it sound life threatening?  I know it's only TV, but it's so frightening when they use the term SVT or Tacycardia and then everybody panics!

RLR, no matter what my diagnosis is, I definitely have bouts of tachycardia from time to time (not nearly as frequent as it used to be).  Is this form of palpitations benign?  I've had all the required tests, and then some!

Thanks so much,
Karen

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: RLR, you're going to be mad at me for this worry:(
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2008, 9:10am

Hi there
I used to be an avid viewer of Casualty, Holby City and ER. I don't even watch them any more. They are not called medical drama for nothing. They are trying to make good telly... it would be boring wouldn't it, if something happened and all the doctors just continued what they were doing, saying that everything is fine. We wouldn't watch, would we?  Wink

Your message made me smile as I had to give up my addiction to medical soaps as they were always giving me something to worry about - I hope though that you can get some resolution on your medical query from RLR.

bead

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: RLR, you're going to be mad at me for this worry:(
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2008, 5:19pm

Well, I think it's highly advisable that you don't place any confidence in the dramatization of television. The theatrics portrayed in these shows don't actually have any relevance to the real-life manner in which we handle emergencies or other circumstances in a hospital setting.

The fact that people have conditions like PSVT or benign palpitations, causes a naggin uncertainty that is sometimes difficult to shake loose and oftentimes leads to irrational thinking patters.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print