Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Esophagus, trapped air and PVCs (Read 18883 times)
Natalia

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Esophagus, trapped air and PVCs
Nov 08th, 2008, 2:35pm

Hi RLR,
I have noticed something recently which has led me to ask this (probably silly) question.
Most (noit all) of my PVCs feel like they almost originate in the esophagus or top of the stomach and sometimes just after eating, especially in the morning, I can't tell if it's the esophagus spasming or PVCs. The above mentioned PVCs happen either when I haven't eaten for a while (hunger spasms?) or after having just eaten (amount doesnt matter, but I never eat a lot), kind of food doesnt seem to be significant, it can be a banana, an apple or pot of yogurt, or a small meal, symptoms are usually the same.
Can the esophagus spasm and feel like a PVC? Can hunger cause these spasms/PVCs? Can trapped air cause it? Today i felt like i had trapped air in my throat as just as it seemed to be coming up  a PVC happened absolutely simultaniously. It was a very uncomfortable feeling.
Is me feeling thsome of them tightly linked to my stomach purely a coincidence or proof of their origin and triggers by GI tract?
I have also noticed they increased in number when i had mild food poisoning recently.
Am i imagining things or is there a connection?
Anyone else experienced similar symptoms? Undecided

Thanks in advance for your reply

I'm not tense, I'm just very very alert
Natalia   IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Esophagus, trapped air and PVCs
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2008, 3:03am

hello
I just want to reassure you that I too get lots and lots of pvcs after eating. they are much more pronounced in number and force after eating, for an hour or so afterwards. Particularly if I have eaten a large meal - I am starting to wonder if with me it is related to bread / pasta. As it happens more with those - perhaps a digestion issue? I don't know. Also, if I have got to the stage where I am reallly hungry, which I try not to, as I try to keep on a level plane with blood sugar levels otherwise I get jittery and shaky, this sets them off more frequently.

It all ties in with the vagus nerve, doesn't it. I can't say I have stomach problems at all, but there's obviously some stimulus there after eating that sets off the heart weirdness for me too!

bead

IP Logged
Natalia

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2008, 4:36am

Thanks for your reply,
I have been brousing the web and found the whole discussion about thiose "spasms".http://www.steadyhealth.com/heart_palpations_and_stomach_spasms_after_eating_t84626_st10.html

Natalia   IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2008, 5:29am

You're not imagining things at all. Spasms of all types are typically assoicated with nerve impulse. I doubt that you're actually experiencing true esophageal spams due to the fact that they most often result in rather excrutiating pain. As for detecting these sensations in the void between meals, it may suggest that you need to begin the practice of eating a light snack in between and that you may be generating too much stomach acid as a consequence of anxiety rather than ingestion of food.

Trapped air can indeed represent the culprit in stimulating the vagus nerve to send impulses to the heart and the sensations detected can vary greatly from patient to patient.

There are medications available to help with GI complaints and I would suggest that you raise the issue with your primary care physician to determine suitable alternatives, either OTC or prescription.

You'll be fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Natalia

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2008, 5:53am

RLR, thank you for your reply,
I have been told that I have low acidity and I have noticed that certain things I just cant digest - like meat (stooped eating it over 10 years ago), fish and sometimes raw veg and mushrooms.
I don't really eat proper meals, I pick on things through the day which annoys my husband, but I find it much easier this way plus i hate the feeling of a full stomach.
I do seem to swallow a lot of air, and I was wondering if those "PVCs" i felt while the holter registered nothing were some sort of spasm of non-cardiac origin?

Natalia   IP Logged
Rachey

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2008, 8:14am

I can have a major run of flutters in the night and sit up and release the wind and I can feel the release straight away.... they usually calm down!  when ive eaten i get them real bad! any excercise after eating will just knock my heart out, even standing and going into the kitchen[size=14][/size].... horrid! I could never eat whilst out due to going into full blown panic whilst out due to the flutters! .....   when will it end eh! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print