Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question RLR  RE:  Cardio Visit today. (Read 2699 times)
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Question RLR  RE:  Cardio Visit today.
Nov 12th, 2008, 2:54pm

Hi RLR,

I hope this finds you well!  

I had a Cardio follow-up visit with my Dr.  She said that due to the increased frequency of the PVC's, she wanted me to do 2 things:

1.  Start taking a beta blocker called: Toprol XL 25 mg 1 x per day
2.  She wanted me to wear a 24 hr holter monitor to check on these pvc's and thought it was a good idea to do so, so I went ahead with it.  

I told her if it would change the prognosis (benign) and she said probably not, but anytime they change in frequency she likes to check them out to compare with the last holter I had done in March.

She told me that she thinks they are benign, but again wanted me to take the Toprol XL anyway, as she thinks it would be beneficial in my case and may even reduce the number of PVC's.

I am still getting high frequency pvc's, (beat, skip, beat, skip) and sometimes it is beat, beat, beat, skip, beat, beat, beat, skip) and on and on.  Sometimes I get 2-3 in a row with no normal beat in between, and lightheaded.  I am just so tired of these!  I just more than anything want them to do AWAY!

I AM working on the anxiety so you would be proud of me there!  As well as eating healthier, walking more, yet they are still here the pvc's.

My Cardiologist told me she use to get them for a couple years and she herself was on Toprol.  I asked how she got rid of them, and she said one day it was like a light switch turned off and the PVC's just went away!  She admitted that when she had them he too was a little worried and here she is a Cardiologist!  hehe.  

She said she does not know what causes them and that noone really knows because they are benign...  She said if I was getting lots of pvc's, WITH other symptoms like a low EF in the mid 40's or less, or chest pain, then she would worry, but structurally my heart is normal per the echo, and stress test I had done awhile back.

She said if the holter comes back OK besides the pvc's, then there really isn't anything to worry about.  But she does want me to start the beta blocker.  She thinks it will help "level me out"  whatever that means???????????????  

Thanks again for your time and helping us on here.  I know you must sound like a broken record trying to get us to understand, and I do want SO MUCH to just put these out of my head and get on with my life.  I am sorta there, but still have days when I worry!  I think that is only natural considering I have high frequency pvc's.

Anyway, thanks RLR!

Steff

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Question RLR   Cardio Visit today.
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2008, 4:33pm

Well, the Toprol is a good choice and the dose is minimal, so it's affect on blood pressure will be negligent. Realize that beta blockers work by reducing cardiac force, which results in lower work by the heart to do its job. Additionally, beta blockers have a mild anxiolytic effect and therefore reduce the physiological effects associated with anxiety disorders.

Take the medication as directed and do not alter it based upon whether you think it's either responsible for other symptoms or not working. This is the greatest problem for folks with anxiety. It's important to speak with your primary care doctor about any changes you notice and let them be the one to determine any alteration in the course of therapy. This drug cannot hurt you nor cause any type of event to occur, so stay with it and report side effects if they appear.

You're going to be fine and the holter will not show anything detrimental because you do not have anything physically wrong with your heart. The palpitations are benign and the tests are negative. I am constrained to to point out that such a combination warrants reflection about what you believe to be the underlying cause and the origin of your fears.

Thanks for the update.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Re: Question RLR   Cardio Visit today.
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2008, 4:43pm

Thank you RLR for your opinion.  I appreciate it!  

I will go tomorrow and have the Rx filled.  My husband is out of town and I have our 3 kids, and do not feel like dragging them out to the drugh store.  So I will have it filled tomorrow.  Thanks for making me feel better about it and generally feeling better about these palpitations.

It stinks wearing this monitor, but I guess its good to have for future reference if needed be.

I guess I do not really know the cause of the pvc's, but I do know that worrying about them make them worse.  That I do know, because its so hard to deal with these when they are thumping around in my heart all day long.   Some days I can stay busy and not let them get to me, but its when I sit down and relax is when I feel them horribly!

Thanks again!

Steff

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print