Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Follow up for RLR (Read 3996 times)
dbranden

I Love YaBB 2!

Follow up for RLR
Dec 14th, 2008, 3:16pm

RLR,

Thanks again for your post in regards to the dizziness I have been experiencing. It has now been 12 days and is still driving me crazy! I did see a GP about it, and she said it was common after a viral infection. My left ear was red, so she prescribed 10 days of Amoxicillin. She also said I might try an antihistamine, so I have been taking Benadryl for a couple of days. I don't feel any improvement. I forgot to ask how long I should expect these symptoms to last. It is bad enough to somewaht limit my daily activities. And I am very curious about why I feel so much better when I am driving or riding in a car? That is really the only time I don't feel the vertigo. Thanks for your time--I appreciate it so much!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Follow up for RLR
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2008, 3:58pm

In order to understand the reason for more dizziness when not driving, you need to better understand how your vestibular system works.

There is more feedback to the vestibular system when walking or sitting still than there is while running or when in an environment of high stimulus like driving, so the body responds more to the detrimental effects of the disturbance when motionless than while moving.

Many people would believe the opposite to be the case, but it's actually as I described above.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
dbranden

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Follow up for RLR
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2008, 6:40am

Thank you, RLR, that makes a lot of sense to me. I was amazed at how much better I felt in the car. I guess I should drive all day! Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on how long I can expect this to continue? It does get rather wearisome after so many days.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print